Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had to have my bike towed back to my house when I got a flat. The tow operator looped straps over the tops of the handlebars and through rear tire. Now my handlebars are bent downward and a bit twisted to the left.

I haven't filed a complaint yet but will have to since this isn't something I can fix myself. My ins co (Markel) includes the tow svc as part of their insurance package so I guess that's who I'll talk to first.

Can someone tell me where the correct tow points are? Pictures would be great. If anyone has any other advice how to approach this problem, that would be great too. Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Put in an insurance claim as this can be a safety issue. Check your owner's manual for proper tie down procedure and if the towing company didn't follow them you definitely have a claim. On a side note, if you tie the new Goldwings down using the handlebars it totally destroys the steering and makes the bike deadly and unusable. Don't take chances, call a reputable dealer to inspect...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Absent looking at the manual, I would assume the default location on the front would be the handlebars! That's where I've always seen them attached. This is quite shocking. What a pain to have to replace them and to get the tow company to hold itself accountable. Good luck!

Richmonder

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absent looking at the manual, I would assume the default location on the front would be the handlebars! That's where I've always seen them attached. This is quite shocking. What a pain to have to replace them and to get the tow company to hold itself accountable. Good luck!

Richmonder
In hindsight, I think if he had looped the straps through the bottom of the handlebars, it wouldn't have been a problem. The guy asked me when he showed up, where do people normally strap this from and I didn't know either. I still don't know. I was a little concerned at this point but didn't know what else to do but hope everything turned out right. Now I'm thinking he could have just looped the strapped through the engine guards? Wish someone with experience would chime in. My bike is my only ride, so this is definitely gonna be a problem.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I just looked in the manual for my 2014, and it is silent on tow hook placement. Page 106 is dedicated solely to transporting the bike. It says "If your motorcycle needs to be transported, it should be carried on a motorcycle trailer or a flatbed truck or trailer that has a loading ramp or lifting platform, and motorcycle tie-down straps. Never try to tow your motorcycle with a wheel or wheels on the ground." That is the sum total of what it says.

I'd be afraid the engine guards would be too low to give you any leverage against a fall. Maybe the fork is where it needs to go.

Richmonder

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With what I've seen now, I'd be afraid the forks would be bent or otherwise damaged. That has to be a heck of a lot of pressure the straps can put on these bikes. I'm mostly aggravated that this is the tow co my ins co paid to tow my bike, shouldn't they already know where to strap things down correctly?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I don't know how they could be expected to know where to put the straps on any of thousands of models of bikes if it isn't a standard place from bike to bike and even the owner's manual doesn't specify. I've always just assumed the handlebars on any bike were capable of withstanding the stress of tie downs, so this outcome is really surprising and I'm now quite curious what the answer is. Do keep us posted what you find.

Richmonder

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know how they could be expected to know where to put the straps on any of thousands of models of bikes if it isn't a standard place from bike to bike and even the owner's manual doesn't specify. I've always just assumed the handlebars on any bike were capable of withstanding the stress of tie downs, so this outcome is really surprising and I'm now quite curious what the answer is. Do keep us posted what you find.

Richmonder

Like I said earlier, don't do that with the new 2018+ Goldwing as it destroys the steering. There's plenty of talk about this on the Goldwing forums. As for the Valk, I'm with you, I don't know the correct way to secure it. I know now that I'm going to research it as I want to be ready in case I'm in that situation. I downloaded the manual for our bikes and it is useless for transportation procedure.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I haven't towed my Valkyrie but on my F6B there's a bracket between the forks above the front fender and below the handlebars I rap a loop straps to that and then hook the racket strap into it and then to the floor. Works great.

·
Registered
344 Posts
When I picked up my Valkyrie on November 3rd of this year, I used a U-Haul motorcycle trailer, my motorcycle straps purchased from the Honda dealer about 10 years ago and these Canyon Dancer Harnes purchased from the dealer that sold me the Valkyrie. Basically, most of the slack was taken out of the straps while the bike was vertical. The trailer and all the strapping worked very well.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/canyon-dancer-bar-harness-ii

This might be an opportunity for you to get some handlebars ideally sized to your preferred riding position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have read many places that state you should never put your bikes suspension under load while towing. I’ve always placed straps around the forks in front and a couple on the rear grips just to keep it from moving around. I towed it from L.A California to Toledo Ohio without any issue. I’ll try and add a pic Im fairly new to the forum. Signed up years ago when I bought the bike but haven’t been on but a few times.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have thought about this in the past and have been looking at a small electric wench to help load the thing.
I have a 2014 Valkyrie, and have not hauled it yet, and hope to never have to. If I do, I plan to use a flat bed trailer, nail a 2x4 on each side of the front tire to keep it from sliding, or use a motorcycle
wheel chock from Harbor Freight. Then strap the crash bars to the front corners of the trailer. Then either tie the rear tire to the rear corners of the trailer or remove the saddle bags and tie to the mounts.
From what I have read, it is not a good idea to compress the shocks for a long trip. But you may have to for short trips. I believe I may loosely put a strap on each side of the handle bars to stabilize it.
There is really not much of a way to strap one of these bikes down without taking parts off to find a place to hook on to.
I'm open for better ideas..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I always use a double looped strap on each side of the lower steering triple tree to tie down my bikes but that is not possible with my Valkyrie due to the headlight surround panels. So I tie down by my front engine guards and also back it up with a second tie down spot on the rear footpegs. I have hauled it back and forth to NC from Florida about a dozen times that way with no problem. Now I do have a set of WheelDock chocks on the trailer that helps a lot.
see pic

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wide enough to fit 2 flat sixes with footpegs next to each other.
The deck dimensions are 6 ft by 9 ft.
Maximum overall width is 101 inches
fender to fender width (inside) is 84 inches
Width between side rails is 78 inches
530 lbs trailer weight. with my 2 wings it only weighs slightly over 2100 lbs so most vehicles can pull it.
Torsion bar axle so low deck height/center of gravity. 2 ramps and 13 inch allay wheels.
Great for bikes, also will carry two four wheelers
folds in half and stores with tongue up in the air.
Endeavor Powersport Utility trailer-USA Trailer store.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My trailer is 6x10 and I didn't think two big bikes would fit, so it's good to know that they will, thanks

·
Registered
531 Posts
Towing

I always use a double looped strap on each side of the lower steering triple tree to tie down my bikes but that is not possible with my Valkyrie due to the headlight surround panels. So I tie down by my front engine guards and also back it up with a second tie down spot on the rear footpegs. I have hauled it back and forth to NC from Florida about a dozen times that way with no problem. Now I do have a set of WheelDock chocks on the trailer that helps a lot.
see pic
That looks like a good method. I like seeing that you double strapped the crash bars and strapping forward to hold the bike into the chock. I was wondering the best method for this bike, as it's different when it comes to towing.
Thanks for the pic it's useful.

·
Registered
531 Posts
BobR24,
I see you have the black valve cover flip out pegs. That looks nice contrasting the black and aluminum valve cover. I've seen them in chrome, yours looks better. Happy with them? Enough adjustment in them?
Nice looking bikes!! Seems to be popular owning both F6b & F6C

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
thanks, I am a strong believer in redundancy especially when it comes to safety. I use these chocks (https://wheeldock.com.)
They pretty much keep the bike in place but there are some pretty crappy roads out there so I always at least double strap if not triple.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been very happy with the fold out highway pegs. There is about 3/4 of an inch of forward and back adjustment. I am 6 ft tall but only wear a 30 inch inseam pants so I am all torso and long arms. I put the Corbin Gunfighter seat on that moves me down about an inch and also put some bar backs on the handlebars to move them back and up about 2 inches and I relocated the instrument pod. All of this combines to put me in the perfect position with the fold out pegs for cruising.
I have owned over 140 bikes and these two are perfect for me. My wife has had 5 back surgeries and loves to ride on the F6B with the Corbin saddle and when I want to ride solo I have taken off the grab rails and added the filler panels to my Valkyrie so it is great for that too. I also have lots of other toys.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts