Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
For the summer I use a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and in the spring/fall I have a Tourmaster textile jacket that has a removable liner. Both are red/blk. As for the hi vis stuff. I am not really sure if it works. I am afraid that someone will see you and run right over you because of fatal fixation. I see it happen to cops all the time with their cars on videos.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Old cruiser riders....

I have 4 jackets:
1. Heavyweight River Road leather, with removable nylon liner

2. Lightweight River Road leather, with removable liner and zipper vents

3. Joe Rocket mesh with removable waterproof liner
4. Victory nylon

I used to ride with the NH VTX Riders club, composed largely of experienced older cruiser riders like myself.
We rode together to Martha's Vineyard, Lake Champlain (NH, VT, NY), York Beach, Maine, and once all the way up to the Canadian border. That was a long day in the saddle - nearly 500 miles!

Jacket number 1 is my "patch jacket" - a history of my motorcycle ownership over the last 10 years, all decked out with a mishmosh of Honda, Harley Davidson, and Victory patches. The showpiece of that jacket is a large, round "VTX Riders" patch on the back. It's kind of sinister looking, and really stands out! :laugh:

·
Registered
72 Posts
In the winter I concentrate on good base layers and a windproof jacket. Heated gloves are a bigger concern for me. I don't wear armor unless it's going to be wet in the winter. In the summer I wear a t-shirt and the vest you see to the left.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wear a leather Dainese with titanium shoulder guards that I've already crashed in so I know it works.
But since I've moved to AZ and it'll be 110 on a regular basis soon I'm thinking I might have to get something light and not already crashed in. Im thinking Dainese mesh or maybe a Merlin oilskin canvas.

·
Registered
61 Posts
battery powered glove liners

In the winter I concentrate on good base layers and a windproof jacket. Heated gloves are a bigger concern for me. I don't wear armor unless it's going to be wet in the winter. In the summer I wear a t-shirt and the vest you see to the left.

Hey, Odin!
In cold weather, I ride with a lithium battery-powered glove liner inside an oversize leather gauntlet glove.
ThermoGloves.
They make a huge difference!

3 settings:
Red for warm
Yellow for a bit less warm
Green for just a bit warm

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wear the first gear Kathmandu, very verstile. I can wear it on all but the hottest days here in NC. I need to get a good mesh jacket for those days.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have 3 options:

1) Black leather vented jacket with removable winter liner that I bought at a charity poker run auction
2) Street and Steel vented and armored jacket with removable winter liner
3) Street and Steel concealed carry leather vest

Bought #2 and 3 at Cycle Gear, and #2 is actually free replacement when the previous one started to split at a seam after about a year!!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
HValkrider: email Wayne at Motoport USA and ask him to send you a pic of the shredded Joe Rocket jacket he has on his “rack of shame” (my description, not his). From memory the damage to it was from a crash at only 35mph. It might make you re-think just how protected you are in JR stuff. Also, go on the new MotoCAP site and look at the test results for JR and lots of other jackets. Scary stuff. Bottom line: most of this stuff does not perform as we think it will. It’s designed to look good first, work second.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is my first year in a Tourmaster Transition 5 jacket and I like it so far (maybe 5k miles in it).
I wanted something 3 season, and riding in New England puts me generally between 40 and 80 degrees.
It has a removable liner and 13 velcro/zipper vents. The two that make a huge difference are along the biceps, the rest I don't seem to feel direct air through.
I got caught in a torrential downpour and it kept me dry, especially with a high collar and long tail.
Overall I'd say it was worth it, though I don't have other jackets to compare it to (always ridden in leather jackets prior to this).

21 - 31 of 31 Posts