Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
They make belly pan protectors for this very reason & to protect the coolant overflow bottle from puncture. I've had one on my bike since day one.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Show-Chrome-...zed/202944376?iid=172374182761&rt=nc&thm=1000

Sweet, I didn't even know these existed. I need one!

PS: I'll never understand why manufacturers of high-end products try to save money on the smallest things. The whole Gold Wing family is as high end as it gets, from a tech point of view. On one hand they spend major coin on putting abso-f-ing-lutely expensive and boneheaded contraptions on these bikes, like the tank lock. But when I drop $29,000 on a new Wing I've got to go on Ebay, find an aftermarket part, and start fiddling with stuff? I as a customer have to eliminate a well-known weak point on my bike that could render it completely unusable, because Honda can't be arsed to put that part in at the factory, which would cost them probably less than 20 bucks.

Registered
I love this bike. If I had a do-over I would buy a black ABS model. Love the 14 Red color tho. This bike slides like a Jamaican bobsled. Several folks have tested my stopping distance by lane changing without looking馃槼

Registered
Several folks have tested my stopping distance by lane changing without looking馃槼
Sounds like you're spending too much time in blind spots. When have you ever driven with someone who literally didn't look before changing lanes? Never, right? Everyone looks. Even if it's the quickest glance in the mirror without turning their head. The problem is that they don't see you. And that puts the onus on us to make sure we're always in a visible spot. Hurry through blindspots or drop back. Just don't sit in that deadly "rear quarter" zone. You can leave the money on the fridge...

Registered
I forgot to mention in this part of CA you are in constant lane splitting mode. Never sit in someone鈥檚 blind spot.

Registered
Sounds like you're spending too much time in blind spots. When have you ever driven with someone who literally didn't look before changing lanes? Never, right? Everyone looks. Even if it's the quickest glance in the mirror without turning their head. The problem is that they don't see you. And that puts the onus on us to make sure we're always in a visible spot. Hurry through blindspots or drop back. Just don't sit in that deadly "rear quarter" zone. You can leave the money on the fridge...
On multi-lane highways, it's not so easy, with cars on both sides at varying speeds and changing lanes without looking OR signaling. I stopped commuting home from downtown Dallas because about once a week, someone would change lanes right when I was hurrying thru the blind spot. I bought a loud air horn for my last bike, and that caused more than one person to throw their coffee all over the car, LOL. I do miss the excitement of it all, but the risk not so much.

Registered
On my VTX I pulled a trailer all the time, Mounted an air horn from a fire truck on it.

People pay attention immediately when you toot that puppy.

Registered
On my VTX I pulled a trailer all the time, Mounted an air horn from a fire truck on it. People pay attention immediately when you toot that puppy.
I love the airhorn that sounds like a freight train at a RR crossing.. I'd bet there be some shorts that need changing

Registered
I've put air-horns, hidden away, on all my bikes since 1980. That was one of the first things I was going to do when I got my Valkyrie. I had occasion to use the OEM horn the first day I rode the bike. I'm not sure who I scared/scarred more, the guy I was honking at or myself! I couldn't believe how loud it was! I felt like I needed to apologize to the poor guy! "Sorry, didn't mean to shout!" Have never bothered to put air-horns on this puppy. Rather redundant.

One possible "Achilles Heel" that new owners could be surprised with is that if you get up into triple-digit speeds you may find that your sidecovers can blow off. I don't usually ride at that speed, so it's not really an issue for me, but I still make sure I get a proper fit on all three nipples whenever I have take one of them off/put it back on for some reason, either to get to the battery or storage area. It's easy to push the rubber receiving grommets all the way through the frame attachments points, as discussed in other older threads.

Registered
our f6c are fitted with dual tone horns that Resonate. the pitch of each is amplified by the other. it would be interesting to know what their frequencies are. but that is why they sound louder than just 2 horns.

one way of securing your side covers and not rely on those temper mental rubber bushings is to use small squares of industrial Velcro tape. each half , rug and zipper, have peel off tape to affix to the bike and back of cover. I use a 4"strip of this stuff to attach the rear seat to the front w/o needing that extra metal extension. it works well.

Registered
Use zip ties to secure the grommets in there. It works well for me and has done for at least 4 years. I also had those side panels pop out but some may say it was around 180kph and a big gusty headwind hit it. Some say.

:D

Also I would prefer the new 2018 Goldwing horns...they are even better.

Registered
The THOUSAND DOLLAR headlight is stain on this bike. When it burns out you'll have to get it from Japan since nobody will stock it.

JJ

Registered
I lowered my shield by re-drilling mounting holes two inches higher on the shield. I still have a gap I can slide a finger thru between the headlight housing and the base of the shield. Improves the airflow drastically, although that was not my goal, I just a noticed this huge improvement benefit. I was going for looks when changing the angle of the shield and decided it needed to be lower also. The shield is cut down to 17" and I look over it without compromising wind protection.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts