Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in sunny San Diego at present so took the opportunity to call in at Motoport USA to buy some new riding gear. WOW! Wayne spent two hours measuring me and running through all the options. He also gave me a tour of the factory and showed me why his product leaves everything else for dead: the materials, the seamless designs, the stitching, the quality of the threads etc. There's a LOT more to it than I realised. He has a sobering collection of crashed garments there too - including expensive name brands that basically disintegrated on impact. He also has a Motoport suit that crashed at 80mph on rough asphalt and didn't wear through or burst at the seams. Rider had a busted pinky finger, nothing more. You guys are very lucky to have this great business on your doorstep. If you decide to invest in his gear, I can definitely recommend going there in person. It's a real eye opener.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Picked up my custom Motoport gear. The quality is amazing. Makes my other jackets and pants look like chiffon. When I get home I'm gonna go out and downshift from third to second at 60mph on loose gravel (without rev matching) to see if it's as good as it seems.

·
Registered
114 Posts
...... When I get home I'm gonna go out and downshift from third to second at 60mph on loose gravel (without rev matching) to see if it's as good as it seems.
Have you already undertaken adequate estate planning or are you relying on the probate court? :D

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Have you already undertaken adequate estate planning or are you relying on the probate court? :D
All sorted. The wrecker gets the bike and Wayne at Motoport gets the gear. He should be able to re-sell it as it will be largely unmarked (the friggin' stuff is ballistic grade). The Minister for Everything took care of the minor stuff - money and houses - years ago. Mind you, I always get the last word in such matters: "Yes dear".

·
Registered
114 Posts
All sorted. The wrecker gets the bike and Wayne at Motoport gets the gear. He should be able to re-sell it as it will be largely unmarked (the friggin' stuff is ballistic grade). The Minister for Everything took care of the minor stuff - money and houses - years ago. Mind you, I always get the last word in such matters: "Yes dear".
Everything appears to be under control. Good to have a capable Minister for Everything (referred to Stateside as SWMBO). Happy riding then, on this planet and the next....

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Happy riding then...
An unexpected plus of the Motoport gear has been how much more enjoyable riding becomes once you know you're covered head to toe in the best protection available. It's also custom fit so nothing pulls or pinches or flaps in the breeze. The gear is definitely "noticeable" off the bike - there is a lot of armor in there after all - but completely "disappears" once riding. Very impressed. Wayne Boyer said to me: "Make sure you tell your buddies about us. We constantly need new customers. Our gear lasts so long we get little repeat business!" More power to him.

PS...I didn't go for a one piece suit in the end. Wayne convince me not to. Went for the Marathon jacket and the Ultra overpants. Also upgraded from the standard TriArmor to QuadArmor and added sacrum (tailbone) and hip pads. Finally, added braces. Last thing I thought I would want but has turned out to be one of my favorite features. Buy right, buy once ....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oddly enough, I find myself riding more aggressively (reckless?) when I am more insulated from the elements. That tendency can be controlled to some extent, but getting hotter than Satan's balls from all that protection and armor is a no,no for me. Sweating buckets kills the joy of riding.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... getting hotter than Satan's balls from all that protection and armor is a no,no for me.
It doesn't get hot at all. Because it's a very open weave huge amounts of air pass through it. Doesn't even need vents which is another plus as they can weaken the jacket.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got caught in the rain today wearing my Motoport Air Mesh jacket. I kept waiting to feel the water seep through to my tee shirt underneath. Nothing. This was odd because this jacket allows a ton of air to pass through it... ie if you hold it up to the light you can see through it. Got home, took the jacket off and sure enough the T shirt was bone dry. Hmm. Went and got a glass of water and poured it on the jacket. 100% run off. Got some more water, poured it on and this time cupped the material to see how long before the water soaked through. It wouldn't. The "puddle" just stayed there. Amazing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I commute 95 miles/day, 85 miles of which is on the Interstate. I have a Motoport Air Mesh Jacket, 10 years old. It's still in decent shape and not faded at all. Using it in Summer here in FL with BMW mesh pants.

From Nov-early April I wear a BMW Atlantis suit, but after 10 years in Florida weather, the originally black nubuck Atlantis leather is now almost white. It's still top notch gear, but for $ 1,900 I'd expected it not to fade that bad.

I am probably going to pull the trigger on Motoport Air Mesh pants and rain liners soon, and then wear Motoport Mesh Kevlar all year round for commuting, and the light BMW Air Mesh or BMW jeans in town on the weekends. Motoport is bulky but def kicks ass as far as quality goes. Made in USA too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I was an MSF instructor back in the 90s I purchased a few Motoport jackets, pair of pants and several gloves. Still have them. Great quality gear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts