Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my valkyrie is black and it is pretty much invisible at night. I would imagine the blue and red bikes aren't much more visible in the dark either. The front of the bike is pretty well lit, but the back only has that tiny tail light strip and the sides have basically nothing but a tiny reflector on the front tire and back tire, down too low to be of any real benefit.

I do ride at night since I commute on my Valk and don't get out of work until 10pm, and sometimes the freeway lights are off, meaning I may as well be invisible from the sides.

Have any of you done any modifications to your valkyries for night time visibility/safety?

I was tossing around the idea of those LED underglow lights, not a lot, maybe just to make the radiator openings in the side glow a bit so that cars to the side can see me. But as it turns out, those are illegal to have on while the bike is in motion in my state. It at least, the law is unclear and up for interpretation.

My next idea was reflective tape. I bought a 50ft roll of black 3m reflective tape that shines white in the dark. I stuck some to my helmet as a test and I like how it turned out. Now I'm thinking about sticking some on my bike, but I can't decide if I want to do just a few strips here and there or go full Tron mode.

Since the tape is black, you wouldn't even know it was there during the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The camera flash really exaggerates the reflectivity of the tape. This picture is a more accurate representation of what you would really see in the dark in person. And there is a picture of the helmet in the light, showing that the tape doesn't really stand out too much during the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
You've got the right idea but I don't think you need the tape all over your bike.

I suggest you do like you did your helmet and just make sure everything that you wear has some type of reflective parts on every side. That should be sufficient!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I took my reflectors off because I didn't like the way it looked.
But I don't drive too much at night.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Same here , cut the whole tag assembly off while i was at it ...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure that's illegal across the country and probably in most other countries as well.

I'm sure most cops would never notice, but man, people already don't see motorcycles enough as it is. I can't imagine ripping off what little night safety there is for the sake of vanity.

Those little reflectors aren't even noticeable during the day. I've had my bike for almost a month now and I didn't even know they were there until I went and looked for them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ditto on stripping the lame side reflectors, license plate set-up, etc. WAY too factory-looking for me. Mine's a black '14. About a year or more ago I bought some reflector tape specifically made for motorcycle rims in all sorts of colors. Tried to find the packaging, but only spent a few minutes in the garage as it's FRICKIN' FREEZING out there! I'll try later if requested, but you should be able to search for it. Anyway, you pick out the two colors you want, the size (diameter) of your rims, and for less than $70 you get your package in the mail. Quality stuff. I'll try to find the place I got them from over a year ago. I got the black ones, to match the rims in daylight. You can't see them at all unless it's dark out and some other light reflects on them. When a car comes at you broadside at night they see BRIGHT white circles outlining my wheels. Very visible, very unusual, which is what attracts cagers' attention. Google it. I'm sure you'll find it. (The varied colors are for your custom use and eye for design. They have a lot of color variations to match/contrast your wheels'/bike's color(s). I bought another kit from them for about the same money, a bit less?, that was of pre-cut shapes and strips so that you could use them in custom locations on your bike for extra viz. I made some slim black ones on the front of my custom (black) mirrors in the little cut-outs they had facing traffic, so any car coming at me would see them as well as my headlight.
Anyway, no affiliation, profit incentive, etc. Just sharing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I STILL don't think I made that clear enough on the varying colors of the reflective tape. You choose the color you want it to be in daylight, AND you choose one of the available colors that show up only when reflected upon at night. You can get really "neon" if that's your style. Be careful of local and other laws if choosing something "cool". For example, not putting on anything that could reflect red from the front of your bike, etc. Since my bike is black and I like a more subtle look, I chose black tape that reflects white at night, for maximum visibility. Hope that makes things a bit more understandable!

·
Registered
50 Posts
side marker

I am toying with adding some down lighting with trailer side markers. I figured I could mount them behind my bags and over the pipes. They have 360 illumination so they out to show out the rear as well. A plain white shouldn't be an issue. If I get pulled over, so be it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I STILL don't think I made that clear enough on the varying colors of the reflective tape. You choose the color you want it to be in daylight, AND you choose one of the available colors that show up only when reflected upon at night. You can get really "neon" if that's your style. Be careful of local and other laws if choosing something "cool". For example, not putting on anything that could reflect red from the front of your bike, etc. Since my bike is black and I like a more subtle look, I chose black tape that reflects white at night, for maximum visibility. Hope that makes things a bit more understandable!
I've never seen rim tape that reflects a different color than the tape itself, except for black reflecting white. That's pretty cool. But man, $70 is a lot for some tape.

The tape I bought is some really good quality 3m stuff that was only $15 for a 50ft roll. I used probably less than 8 feet on the helmet so I was planning on using the rest on the rims and possibly around the side panels and fenders and such. Still trying to decide how much I want on the bike.

But yeah, if you can find the brand of the tape you are talking about, I'd like to check it out.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have seen a person pull out in front of a white ford f250 truck with its lights on during the day with a good 500 meters of visibility and I saw them "look" but they didn't "see". You can reflect, light up and glow in the dark all you want but it is always best to assume that nobody sees you and they are literally going to run you over.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have seen a person pull out in front of a white ford f250 truck with its lights on during the day with a good 500 meters of visibility and I saw them "look" but they didn't "see". You can reflect, light up and glow in the dark all you want but it is always best to assume that nobody sees you and they are literally going to run you over.
Lights and reflectors don't do a whole lot during the day. At night they really grab your attention.

Yes I know the "ride like you are invisible" rule, but that doesn't mean you should just go ahead and be invisible.

For every light or reflector you have, you increase the odds that you are going to get a cagers attention by a huge amount. Drivers actually seeing you is safer than if they don't see you, no matter how much you ride like they can't see you.

And the best tactic is to do both. Make yourself as visible as you can, AND assume nobody can see you.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I love watching vids of cops that have pulled another car over and giving out a citation then jumping for their lives while their car gets tko'ed.

It's almost like the bright lights become a target especially for drunks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I asked my wife if she had, perchance, moved the packaging from my reflective rim tape, as I was pretty sure I knew where I had put it. Voila! They are in my hands in less than 60 seconds. It's often very convenient for me that she ran a law office for many years!

Here is a photo of the packaging. (Apologies for the sideways shot, but it will blow-up better for you to see any fine print.) I could look up where I bought it from, but if memory serves I bought direct. Maybe through a biker parts house, though. If you really can't find a source, let me know and I'll go through my Valkyrie file.

$70 is a lot, but this is a quality product specifically made for this purpose. Consider weather and grime and ease of cleaning and they start to make sense. These are pre-cut in arcs for you to put on a specific diameter rim. The only ones I've seen like that. You pay for what you get! (Be sure to specify your rim size(s) and color choice.) And they may have been closer to $50 or $60. I just can't remember. Could be the most valuable few bucks you ever spent on a bike, but I'm not wishing that on anyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I also stripped off the factory lollipop reflectors and license plate bracket.. its just plain ugly and minimally effective.. what I did to add both day and night presence to the bike was to add a run/turn/brake controller and a pair of super bright Adjure LED turn signals.. Now both the brake light and turns are now always on running lights and they flash and go heavy on when braking.. they are very bright in daylight and ridiculously bright at night...

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
I asked my wife if she had, perchance, moved the packaging from my reflective rim tape, as I was pretty sure I knew where I had put it. Voila! They are in my hands in less than 60 seconds. It's often very convenient for me that she ran a law office for many years!

Here is a photo of the packaging. (Apologies for the sideways shot, but it will blow-up better for you to see any fine print.) I could look up where I bought it from, but if memory serves I bought direct. Maybe through a biker parts house, though. If you really can't find a source, let me know and I'll go through my Valkyrie file.

$70 is a lot, but this is a quality product specifically made for this purpose. Consider weather and grime and ease of cleaning and they start to make sense. These are pre-cut in arcs for you to put on a specific diameter rim. The only ones I've seen like that. You pay for what you get! (Be sure to specify your rim size(s) and color choice.) And they may have been closer to $50 or $60. I just can't remember. Could be the most valuable few bucks you ever spent on a bike, but I'm not wishing that on anyone!
Cycle Gear has reflective tape a lot cheaper I don't know if it's as good.
Chttps://www.cyclegear.com/gear/oxford-wheel-stripes-with-applicator

·
Registered
145 Posts
I never had an issue being seen at night. However, I have had issues seeing at night. I added foglights. Not just would foglights make you more visible but also help you on that dark road.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, seen that stuff. That seems to be the go to for most people. However, they only sell for $33 now and as far as I could tell, you can only get tape that reflects the same color that the tape appears to be during the day, except for the black tape which reflects white.

Also, there are a few other companies making their tape pre-curved in sections. So there is more of a market now, which is probably what got CustomTaylor to reduce his prices.

Thanks for letting me know though. I might get these, depending on what I plan to do as far as lighting.

I was looking at my bike the other day and it hit me that it would look really cool at night if I had some colored LED strips (likely green) on the inside of the radiator fairing, making that square radiator opening glow like my bike was nuclear powered or something. (similar to the pic, but ONLY in the radiator fairing) That would solve my side visibility issues and give me an excuse to get green reflective strips on the wheels.

If i don't do that though, I'll just use the stuff I have. Black tape that reflects white.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
I know this varies from the topic but I just adjusted my headlight due to it being extremely too low. I have pitched it a little higher and makes a big difference is the distance I am able to see ahead.

The adjustment was very simple by adjusting one screw while I shined the light on the wall.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts