Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
No to both. I think the headlight is LED and should last longer than me and the valve adjustment is every 32k miles. That will be a while for me too. Are you having any issues?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am trying to decide whether I want to buy an F6C F6B or an old Valk. (2000).
Headlights burn out. The headlight is $1200. It won't last forever.
I ride around 16K a season. $10,500 2014 Valk. is what I'm looking at. It's loaded.
A bike I'm also looking at has 27K. It will need a valve adjustment very soon if I buy it.
I rode my 1500 Valk. 192K. There is a well kept 2000 Valk with 33K for $3900 very near me. Jetted,trigger wheel,open airbox.Rifle screen. Kia Red.

JJ

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have never heard of headlights burning out on this bike, I'm on three forums for this bike and it sounds like an unwarranted fear. Put your headlight fear at ease, these are great bikes with Honda reliability. Sounds like you should decide what bike you want, makes your search easier. Anyone here will all have praise for this bike, and many have owned both 1500 and 1800 Valkyries.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nobody on here seems to have many miles on their bikes. Nobody has done a valve adjustment. Lights burn out. Even on a Honda. A new one for this bike is $1200.
To me,I think that $1200 is a LOT of money for a BULB ! Not the whole assembly but just the bulb.

JJ

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nobody on here seems to have many miles on their bikes. Nobody has done a valve adjustment. Lights burn out. Even on a Honda. A new one for this bike is $1200.
To me,I think that $1200 is a LOT of money for a BULB ! Not the whole assembly but just the bulb.

JJ
So what are you looking for? Go buy it. Whine on the new forum you'll probably join and spoil for all of them. I just don't get your point.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My point is that I want to know what it costs to keep this bike going. You don't seem to have a clue.
I usually ride 16K a season.I WILL need a valve adjustment and I will need a headlight at some point.
I rode my old Valkyrie 192,000 miles with very little expensive maintenance. I hoped I could find someone on this forum who actually rides a lot and would have accumulated some insight as to the cost of owning this bike. No luck so far.
I'm sorry if I spoil the forum for you. If I praise the bike unconditionally will you forgive me ?

JJ

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sounds like you've made up your mind before you came here. You'll probably be better off with another bike.

Sounds like you've logged some miles according to your posts, you should have a fair idea of general maintenance items being a seasoned rider. If you owned a 1500 for that many miles you are already aware of the awesome powerplant. This bike is better yet in my eyes with fuel injection (less maintenance) You have a water cooled, shaft drive, fuel injected proven Honda powerplant. The rest is simply fluids, brakes and tires...as any motorcycle. If you do your own, even less as any motorcycle.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think Sixshooter summed it up well. You made up your mind before you got here. One, this is HONDA. It is built to last. I don't know of any part on this bike that has been known to be troublesome. Yes, $1,200 is ridiculous to replace a headlight bulb, IF it ever happens, and if it does, deal with it. Two, the likelihood of an LED headlight burning out is minimal. This bike is practically bulletproof. Does it have its issues? Sure. The seat is a pain in the ass to remove, the battery is hard to access, there are few aftermarket custom parts for a bike that had such low production, and tire options are limited. And a replacement headlight costs $1,200. If that is THAT big a deal, look elsewhere. And if you're looking at a valve adjustment on a used bike, maybe you should consider a different deal, if it's that much of a concern. Or negotiate the price.

When you come on a forum, I'd suggest being civil. Telling us we "don't seem to have a clue" and inferring/implying that nobody here rides a lot of miles is offensive. There are alll kinds of parts that can go bad on a machine, and you seem to have zeroed in on the headlight bulb for some unknown reason. Try buying a BMW or Ducati or any of a number of other bikes and tell me what they cost to repair or maintain ANYTHING on them. If one day you happen to have to replace a headlight on the Valk, you'll still be money ahead.

Richmonder

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sorry if you guys are upset. Not my intention. I figured you would know about valve adjustment and the insanely priced headlight.
You got mad about me complaining that nobody had enough miles on their bikes to know these things. I thought that a six or seven year old bike would have some folks with 70 to 100,000 miles on it.
I was shocked to find out that that was not the case.
I'm a honda guy for years. I hate it that they discontinue bikes if they don't sell well. Two years running for a specialized bike is terrible for them to do.
Guys that bought the bike for full price got screwed on resale value.
After loving my 1997 Valk I and many others wanted Honda to just put the newer GW motor in a retro looking,easy to customize bike.
They didn't even try.
Sure this bike has better brakes,more power,better lighting than my old Valk but it is all plastic and looks like a space ship.
Granted,plastic is lighter and won't rust. Those are good things.
After months of looking at these bikes I finally got to ride one. I thought it was fantastic,mostly.
I do not like the tiny shifter that I had to contort my foot to use. Different boots I was told would fix that.
Anyways,I apologize for focusing on the negatives of this bike. I wanted answers but all I got was "why don't you just go away party pooper,we LOVE this bike just the way it is but we don't like you."
That's OK. I've got thick skin. I may still get one of these. I'm on the fence even now. I'm going to check out a 2000 Valk this week and a 2014 that's loaded with accessories.

JJ

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm sorry if you guys are upset. Not my intention. I figured you would know about valve adjustment and the insanely priced headlight.
You got mad about me complaining that nobody had enough miles on their bikes to know these things. I thought that a six or seven year old bike would have some folks with 70 to 100,000 miles on it.
I was shocked to find out that that was not the case.
I'm a honda guy for years. I hate it that they discontinue bikes if they don't sell well. Two years running for a specialized bike is terrible for them to do.
Guys that bought the bike for full price got screwed on resale value.
After loving my 1997 Valk I and many others wanted Honda to just put the newer GW motor in a retro looking,easy to customize bike.
They didn't even try.
Sure this bike has better brakes,more power,better lighting than my old Valk but it is all plastic and looks like a space ship.
Granted,plastic is lighter and won't rust. Those are good things.
After months of looking at these bikes I finally got to ride one. I thought it was fantastic,mostly.
I do not like the tiny shifter that I had to contort my foot to use. Different boots I was told would fix that.
Anyways,I apologize for focusing on the negatives of this bike. I wanted answers but all I got was "why don't you just go away party pooper,we LOVE this bike just the way it is but we don't like you."
That's OK. I've got thick skin. I may still get one of these. I'm on the fence even now. I'm going to check out a 2000 Valk this week and a 2014 that's loaded with accessories.

JJ
JJ, I would like to respond. It seems to me, from your last post, copied above, that you do not own a late-model Valkyrie. You have ridden one. I remember trading rides with friends over the years (good friends, who trust one another and who would never pull a foolish move on another friend's bike) and it did give me a quick impression of that different motorcycle that I would never "buy" but would love to "try". I never felt qualified to give a ride report on that bike, whatever it was, but was grateful for the experience. You may not be aware of it, but you seem to come across with condescension that fits perfectly with your chosen avatar. I've usually found that people who choose to appear abrasive even before the first handshake are people I'd just as soon not spend much time with. I don't know you at all, am not trying to disparage you or your posts, but if you'd like to feel more welcome here (if you actually step up to pull the trigger to buy our favorite ride) please feel free to just tone it down a little bit. No, we don't all have blinders on about this bike. I want a sixth gear, if anyone's listening (they aren't in Japan), and there are a few improvements I'd suggest, but this is a forum for people who have made the commitment and are living with it. Anyone else is just a wannabe who points to excuses. Buy it. Ride it. Sell it if you don't like it. That's what the rest of us do.

·
Registered
500 Posts
JJ, I would like to respond. It seems to me, from your last post, copied above, that you do not own a late-model Valkyrie. You have ridden one. I remember trading rides with friends over the years (good friends, who trust one another and who would never pull a foolish move on another friend's bike) and it did give me a quick impression of that different motorcycle that I would never "buy" but would love to "try". I never felt qualified to give a ride report on that bike, whatever it was, but was grateful for the experience. You may not be aware of it, but you seem to come across with condescension that fits perfectly with your chosen avatar. I've usually found that people who choose to appear abrasive even before the first handshake are people I'd just as soon not spend much time with. I don't know you at all, am not trying to disparage you or your posts, but if you'd like to feel more welcome here (if you actually step up to pull the trigger to buy our favorite ride) please feel free to just tone it down a little bit. No, we don't all have blinders on about this bike. I want a sixth gear, if anyone's listening (they aren't in Japan), and there are a few improvements I'd suggest, but this is a forum for people who have made the commitment and are living with it. Anyone else is just a wannabe who points to excuses. Buy it. Ride it. Sell it if you don't like it. That's what the rest of us do.
Kugo, thank you for your comment on his choice of avatar. In my previous post, I had written a full paragraph about it, but then thought best not to attack him beyond his post words. Now that that genie is out of the bottle, I will also comment. One who comes on here, basically insulting every member on the board, saying we don't have a clue and must be absolutely devoted to be involved, is either stewing for a fight or lacks social skills. But that avatar sends a whole other message. Personally, I don't care what anyone's religious beliefs are and I respect whatever you want to believe. But I leave that topic off the table because everyone has different beliefs. Just like politics. But JJ came on here with an avatar that says "I'm waiting for you to take the bait so I can insult your beliefs". Why would anyone come on a MOTORCYCLE forum with that for an avatar unless he was looking for a fight? It's terribly disrespectful to those who are religious. So right off the bat, you're alienating and offending what is likely the majority of the board members. It's just very bad form. There's really no fight to be had about religion on a motorcycle forum unless YOU initiate it. Save that for Facebook.

Richmonder

Reactions: Sixshooter

·
Registered
330 Posts
JJ, Looks like you just opened this topic/string 1 day ago, so I wouldn't make assumptions based on 1 day of responses. watching multiple forums, I've only heard of 1 person with a headlight problem, and not sure the LED burned out versus smashed, perhaps that person will comment. Keep in mind that a LOT of these bikes were still 'new in crate' for 5 years or more. I'll be logging about 25,000 miles during 2021 but I have only 38,000 total on this bike. My only maintenance issue has been the disappointment of blown fork seals at only 26,000 miles. From my perspective, 14 years newer is a big deal in many respects: the 2014 is way faster, no carbs or hydrolock, and the difference in range is also a very big advantage. Guys with the 1st gen are gassing up twice as often as I am with 41+ mpg and a 6.1 gal tank - huge when you're out west, like Moab area where we turned onto a road with the warning sign, "next service 105 miles" and we had already ridden 20 miles since the previous fuel stop. !st gen made it, but he was sweating the last few miles even though he carried a fuel bottle, while I still had a 1/2 tank when we got to the next gas station. I strongly prefer the looks of the earlier generation, but they handle like a truck compared to the 2014, which can be an advantage when leaned into a long, constant curve, but I like the more nimble handling in traffic. Regarding valve adjustment, I just had the dealer do it along with other major service items as I like having someone else look at it once a year at the end of winter when I can get it in and out in a day. I also heard of one report that the electronic dashboard became dim, perhaps related to that owner storing it outside without a cover...unsure. Highest mileage I've heard of on this generation was about 60,000 - 80,000 miles (i.e., Les Anthis), there was a recent topic thread on that either here or on Log into Facebook

Reactions: Sixshooter

·
Registered
492 Posts
This is the same motor as a any 1800 Goldwing and they are many of these bikes with many miles on and as far as I know they are bulletproof.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Holy Moley Batman. I cannot believe how sensitive some of you are. I don't wanna talk about religion. Unless you do. Or Politics. I changed my avatar so as not to offend certain members.
I apologized. That's all I can do.
I went for a ride on a 2000 Valkyrie yesterday. Funny how we get nostalgic about the past and imagine it's better than it actually is.
I liked the 2014 Valk a LOT more than this bike. I was amazed.
So the niggles for me are that shifter which I'm told I can move the pegs to make it work.
The cable operated gas cap. A definite bad idea.
The headlight. My mechanic said that if I have a high and low beam it will pass inspection.
I would get some auxiliary lights and put them on the switch.
The luggage. I would buy an equipped bike or get some soft bags. I've seen some Corbin equipped bikes for sale. The bags are pretty small. Get a rear rack.
I might be able to mount Tsukayu bags.
Tire choices do suck and I'm a Darkrsider ! I would find the longest lasting tires or get a GW 16 inch wheel.
I'm going for a ride. Enjoy your day.

JJ

·
Registered
174 Posts
My bike came with the Wing rim and it gave me more choices for Darkside.

I bough a Wompus rack which was custom made for me at their facility because I didn't want a backrest and luggage rack.

I believe some have bought racks from ebay and modified them to fit. Search the forum.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts