Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't think I understand the premise of this thread. Are you saying the Valk engine is not truly flat, as I have always understood it to be? It sure looks flat to me. I'm lost.

Richmonder

Reactions: tngarren

·
Registered
343 Posts
Based on the apparent confusion about definitions, would you consider the 1800 a "boxer" engine, like the opposing-cylinder BMWs were? I'm referring to the older 2-cylinder designs that had pistons that looked like they were boxing each other. I've always referred to the 1800 as a "flat-six", when asked. And then there's Porsche's 6-cylinders... And what do you get when you glue two V-6 engines together? A Bentley W-12! This is why some people ride single-thumpers! No confusion!
:cool:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GL1800 - looks flat to me. Its all about the cylinders
View attachment 13853

GL1500 - also flat
View attachment 13854

V6 - Crikey. The cylinders look kinda like a V shape...

View attachment 13856
Ah, I see … that makes it very clear…. thanks Ox 😜👍🏼. Supplementary question: am I right in supposing the V6 is more efficient (straighter lines) and the only benefit of a flat design is that it keeps the centre of gravity lower?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think I understand the premise of this thread. Are you saying the Valk engine is not truly flat, as I have always understood it to be? It sure looks flat to me. I'm lost.

Richmonder
I didn’t realise that the “flatness” only has to apply to the movement of the pistons, not the con rods (which are very “V’d” off the crankshaft on the GL1800). Ox’s graphics/explanation has cleared that up for me. I’m gonna have to start another thread about The Don to get him to join the fray more often 😎.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just looking at Ox’s pics again… overall the 1800 engine is probably even flatter than the 1500… so much for my original post 🙄. Anyway, I get it now: flat PISTONS equals “flat motor”. As I said before I ‘ain’t mechanical - but never too late to learn! 😬 Appreciate the great depth of knowledge on this forum 👏🏻

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just looking at Ox’s pics again… overall the 1800 engine is probably even flatter than the 1500… so much for my original post 🙄. Anyway, I get it now: flat PISTONS equals “flat motor”. As I said before I ‘ain’t mechanical - but never too late to learn! 😬 Appreciate the great depth of knowledge on this forum 👏🏻
Geepers: be wary of calling it "flat PISTONS" equals “flat motor”. That will only confuse you and the issue further. "Flat" pistons are an entirely different subject. The pistons can be "flat", "domed", or "dished". Do a quick Google to see the difference. It refers to the top surface of the piston itself, not its relative position to any plane or the engine itself. I was also ignorant of stuff like this, until I became friends with the Automotive Mechanics teacher in the high school I coached swimming at back in the '70s. It made total sense when he showed me the three different piston types, and why they existed in the first place. ("Domed" can increase cylinder compression and "Dished" can reduce it, although "Dished" pistons are mainly used for safe valve clearance, to prevent the valve from actually contacting the piston top. You really don't want that.) If anyone can add to this to help explain or refute, I won't be offended.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Geepers: be wary of calling it "flat PISTONS" equals “flat motor”. That will only confuse you and the issue further. "Flat" pistons are an entirely different subject. The pistons can be "flat", "domed", or "dished". Do a quick Google to see the difference. It refers to the top surface of the piston itself, not its relative position to any plane or the engine itself. I was also ignorant of stuff like this, until I became friends with the Automotive Mechanics teacher in the high school I coached swimming at back in the '70s. It made total sense when he showed me the three different piston types, and why they existed in the first place. ("Domed" can increase cylinder compression and "Dished" can reduce it, although "Dished" pistons are mainly used for safe valve clearance, to prevent the valve from actually contacting the piston top. You really don't want that.) If anyone can add to this to help explain or refute, I won't be offended.
Good points Kugo 👍🏼. Maybe we can settle on “horizontal cylinders” as the pre-requisite for a “flat” motor. Like Ox said in his post: “it’s all about the cylinders”.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts