Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From the first day I rode my new (0 km's) Valkyrie I noticed a very slight "bobbling" in the front end at around 70 to 80 kmh. It's certainly not severe, but definitely noticeable. It's due to go for it's 1,000km service tomorrow so will get them to check the front tyre for a flat spot from sitting in the crate. When I picked the bike up on day one I actually asked the dealer about the likelihood of having this problem and he said "it won't be an issue because Honda rotate the wheels of their bikes in the crates"(?) Anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I could be wrong, but I’m fairly certain Honda’s ship crated in wooden boxes with metal framing underneath for protection. I find it difficult to believe they un-crate and re-crate the bikes just to rotate tires. I had a similar experience with a tire on my VTX. Turned out it was a separation to the plies creating a slight bulge on the sidewall and tread. I would not let the bike leave the dealer until the issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

Best of luck

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Update: dealer's workshop guy said he noticed there were no weights at all on the front rim so he removed the wheel and rebalanced (added a small weight). On the ride home it did seem better but still not perfect. I'll give it a bigger run later at different speeds and see what I think. I'm sure they don't really want it to be a tyre coz that would involve real cost to replace ;) I do a lot of miles so I reckon I'll just wear these Dunlop OEM tyres out pretty quickly, replace them with Metzeler or Michelin and hopefully the issue goes away completely.

·
Registered
133 Posts
mine was very flat spotted but has gotten much better at 950 miles .

what kind of service is done and 600 miles ? i thought an oil change at 4,000 was about it !

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
256 Posts
From the first day I rode my new (0 km's) Valkyrie I noticed a very slight "bobbling" in the front end at around 70 to 80 kmh. It's certainly not severe, but definitely noticeable. It's due to go for it's 1,000km service tomorrow so will get them to check the front tyre for a flat spot from sitting in the crate. When I picked the bike up on day one I actually asked the dealer about the likelihood of having this problem and he said "it won't be an issue because Honda rotate the wheels of their bikes in the crates"(?) Anyone else had this experience?
What is the 1000 km service thing? my manual says 4000 miles (6400 km) my wrench at the dealer says 4000 miles... is there something I am missing here?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the 1000 km service thing? my manual says 4000 miles (6400 km) my wrench at the dealer says 4000 miles... is there something I am missing here?
See photo from my Owner's Manual below. It's the section where the maintenance is set out …. ie what needs to be done at each milestone. Under 1,000km / 600miles it has an "R" (replace) against engine oil and filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts

Could be a faulty tire. As for a flat spot in the tire? That can be wear from straight road riding . Best remedy for that is to install a good touring or sport touring tire to deal with straights on rough asphalt . The OEM that came on the Valk seem to be more sport oriented.

·
Registered
133 Posts
See photo from my Owner's Manual below. It's the section where the maintenance is set out …. ie what needs to be done at each milestone. Under 1,000km / 600miles it has an "R" (replace) against engine oil and filter.

my book says 4,000 to replace the oil and filter

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I replaced some tyres on my VT1300 with Metzeler, and noticed a vibration from the back at certain speeds, as soon as I left the shop. Came and go. Could not see anything wrong with the tyre, and the balance was fine. Shop ended up replacing it with a new one. Some guys reckon this is a delamination in the tyre - never found out for sure, but it was certainly a dodgy tyre. I would be pushing the dealer to replace it. There must be an acceptable fault rate in tyres for all manufacturers

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dealer noticed an issue with the tires on my new to me 14 valkyrie and they replaced the tires front and rear, before I took delivery of the bike, I would not trust a flat spot on a tire thats all ready 4 or more years old, just my eperience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts