Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm moving and have to make multiple trips to get all of my property moved. The trip is 1200 miles. So the bike is gonna get trailered. Where do you strap your valkyrie down at? On my vtx I always used the triple tree and then used the rear swing arm for the back tie down point. The valkyrie is a single sided swing arm so it changes it up a little.

I was thinking for the front I would use the crash bars?? What about the rear?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had mine delivered and the PO used to trailer also. They put the front wheel in a chock and ran tie downs from the engine guards forward and 2 tie downs off the rear sissy bar to keep the rear steady. Bike made the 6+ hour trip fine.

Reactions: Carcathan

·
Registered
471 Posts
I read on the F6B forum that you should not use the crash bars because you could crack them they were designed to hold the bike up when falling over.
I would think if you use a good wheel chock and don't over thighten them you should be fine?????

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've seen pictures of them in the Honda shipping crates and Honda straps to the crash bars.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hopefully this will work

I had mine shipped by a private shipper in an enclosed trailer from northern Illinois down to me in southcentral Illinois and he used straps that looked exactly like yours in size. At some point in the Chicago area, most likely on an interstate on or exit ramp (we surmised), the straps on the left side snapped. The bike rode on its right side all the way, sliding across the aluminum tie-down grates on the floor just to inflict further damage. Was nearly $2400 worth of damage to a new bike. My advice would be to use larger straps with a higher break limit. I can't imagine the additional damage a snapped strap could cause falling while on the trailer you show in the pic. Good luck. Be safe. (That means safer than you think you need to be.) :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trip went smooth. Now next trip is the truck and 65 mustang fastback. Probably gonna buy another trailer for this move.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Trip went smooth. Now next trip is the truck and 65 mustang fastback. Probably gonna buy another trailer for this move.

Good job! I'd been thinking of you and how you were doing ever since your last post. Glad you and the beast both made it safe!

·
Registered
547 Posts
the engine guards make decent hard points for securing the front of the bike , Except that they are significantly below the axle and center of gravity. you should use an extra pair of straps up above the axle, this bike doesn't give you much choice. its either the handle bars or the forks just above the fender mounts.
this will keep it from flip flopping if you had a severe left or right movement in your trailer. It always pays to have redundancy on anything pertaining to safety.

·
Registered
133 Posts
mine was strapped down just like they come in the crate = by the crash bars and straight down ! :eek: ... that didn't sit well with me so i added other straps all over even the handle bars [ even though they are rubber mounted ] i had them on the grab bars and somewhere on the frame also - they were everywhere and only a 50 mile journey but it all worked well for me .

·
Registered
547 Posts
u2b, Yep straight down straps the geometry negates roll tip over. . you cannot have too many. redundant. minimum 2 pair up front and 1 pair out back. extra is.. well, extra. front wheel chocks are muy bueno for loading and controlling. I have hauled big bikes in my truck and trailer, some side by side across this country. 2 of us rotating driving. 24 hours you can be 1200 miles, sometime more to the launch point, with a rescue vehicle always at hand.. Occasionally we would hit RR crossings at 70mph and the trailer would get airborne. the bikes didn't budge. I have seen some bikes in trucks and trailers completely flop over and almost fall out from pisspoor material management. not to mention it becomes a missile at some point. yikes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts