Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 is running a cat and Torquemaster pipes with one baffle in each. It is too quiet for my liking and so removing the existing baffles sounds like a good idea to me. Before l do l would like to hear about your experience with this. Were the pipes too loud? Did it sound great or terrible? Does tuning need to be addressed through a re-flash or something? Would you say "great idea" and offer to hold my beer whilst I attacked the job with gusto or would you stare, open mouthed in utter disbelief at the Aussie with the crazy talk while backing slowly away?

A new Valkyrie owner needs to know.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 2014 is running a cat and Torquemaster pipes with one baffle in each. It is too quiet for my liking and so removing the existing baffles sounds like a good idea to me. Before l do l would like to hear about your experience with this. Were the pipes too loud? Did it sound great or terrible? Does tuning need to be addressed through a re-flash or something? Would you say "great idea" and offer to hold my beer whilst I attacked the job with gusto or would you stare, open mouthed in utter disbelief at the Aussie with the crazy talk while backing slowly away?

A new Valkyrie owner needs to know.
I'm backing away with great haste. The customary caution about sudden moves, be damned...

·
Registered
241 Posts
:cool:
Well, since you'd asked and I just now shared back to you about my HD on the other thread, I can say my first reaction was pretty much like yours and I looked into all the available aftermarket pipes. You will soon find that there aren't many aftermarket parts for this bike at all, pipes or anything else. You are fortunate to have the Torquemasters, if you like them, as they are made of unobtainium. If it were me, I'd leave the final baffle alone. I don't think it will give you the sound you are hoping for. There is no way a flat-6-cylinder is ever going to sound like a V-Twin, and those that have tried are usually less than satisfied, and I've read many accounts. With the stock exhaust, it will get louder as you put on the miles. I've learned to appreciate the sound (think Porsche 911) and like the fact that it's not obnoxiously loud, even to non-bikers. It's almost turbine-like. Not uncool at all. When I cruise through a subdivision at non-threatening decibel levels I get a totally different reaction from walkers, bicyclists and home-owners out in their yard than I ever got on the HD, even when just puttin'. If I ever do feel the urge to create a scene (can't think of the last time) I am one throttle-twist away.
:cool:

·
Registered
176 Posts
It can be done and causes ZERO issues.. The hard part is popping the cap off the end of the pipe. The baffles are held in by rivets. They can be yanked or pushed right out.
All the restriction is way before the slip on so nothing's affected..
Kugo, if you're looking for Torqs I may sell mine. Im thinking of getting the Cobra 6x2x6 and getting them cut. I have chromed ones with black tips.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It can be done and causes ZERO issues.. The hard part is popping the cap off the end of the pipe. The baffles are held in by rivets. They can be yanked or pushed right out.
Kugo, if you're looking for Torqs I may sell mine. Im thinking of getting the Cobra 6x2x6 and getting them cut. I have chromed ones with black tips.
I'm sure that there are others who might pull the trigger immediately if they thought they were available to them, but thank you for your kind offer, Rich. I will give it some thought, but this riding season has not been what I planned and I haven't turned a wrench on it at all this year. My wife and riding mate unexpectedly passed away about 5 weeks ago after being sick since early May (cancer). We never got to ride together this year and I haven't had the heart to play with it much at all. Whenever I do ride, her pegs are down. Gives me comfort. Thanks again, Rich.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm sure that there are others who might pull the trigger immediately if they thought they were available to them, but thank you for your kind offer, Rich. I will give it some thought, but this riding season has not been what I planned and I haven't turned a wrench on it at all this year. My wife and riding mate unexpectedly passed away about 5 weeks ago after being sick since early May (cancer). We never got to ride together this year and I haven't had the heart to play with it much at all. Whenever I do ride, her pegs are down. Gives me comfort. Thanks again, Rich.
Very sorry to hear about your loss, May God give you peace and rest!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would've considered if those were blacked out - not a fan of too much chrome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So sorry to hear of your loss Kugo. My heartfelt condolences go out to you.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sorry to learn of your loss, Kugo. How sad. I like your remembrance with the pegs down. A friend of mine who lost his wife several years ago still signs her name to his Christmas cards to keep her memory alive. Your wife would want you to keep riding though. Please try to get out and ride with her as your passenger in spirit.

Richmonder

Reactions: Farther

·
Registered
379 Posts
Kugo, I have no words, my heart goes out for you. I can't imagine loosing my wife.
Please accept my sincere condolences

·
Registered
241 Posts
To all above, thank you for your kind thoughts. This forum and its members are very good at keeping most all things here Valkyrie, which I've always appreciated and felt it should be when it's so easy anymore to be political when even talking about the weather or queso dip. I don't need that from anyone, here or anywhere else, as I already have my own views, just as strong. I'm sure the admin(s) has/have had something to do with that, but I really think it's primarily the members who were looking for the same thing I was. And, that said, there is still a palpable bond here among those of us that participate and that in itself makes this site worthwhile to me.

The "pegs down" thing was actually about a joke my wife had told me about two years ago, which you've all probably heard before. However, in her memory, I'll tell it below in paraphrased form:

HER: "Hi, Honey. Glad you're back safe and the bike looks like you missed all the puddles!"
HIM: "Yeah, it was a nice ride."
HER: "So, did she like it, too?"
HIM: "HUH?"
HER: "Next time, and there won't be one, be smart enough to put the passenger pegs back up before you get home. Cheatin' moron."

My beloved Bett's cremains are in a black, peanut-style motorcycle gas tank sitting in my home office looking over my shoulder. We both thank all of you for your well-expressed condolences.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Great story Kugo... Mine has expressed similar thoughts. She liked my 1500 Valkyrie solo set up, unless she was going then I'd install the two up. She said it looked cool solo. I think she didn't want another butt in her seat. lol
It got to be a PITA and over the years was wearing the threads down on the bolts.

My Valkyrie 1800 is too time consuming to switch back and forth. It stays two up and she is welcome to sniff the seat or check the floorboards for dirt. She knows all to well she'll never find dirt on my machines or another woman.

Agreed... Motorcycle talk on a motorcycle forum is a breath of fresh air and this one is a good one (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts