Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any harm in doing this? I've noticed I can get more than a half gallon additional in the tank but it takes time as the pressure slowly releases through the vent. Not sure why they left so much dead air space in the tank?

·
Registered
497 Posts
What vapor canister? If I remember rightly isn't that a California type of deal or is there something I have missed somewhere?

So far the only drama I have found trying to find exactly where full is is when there is a big puddle of fuel under the ******* :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Catch-as-catch-can

The EVAP can is installed on all 50 state U.S.A. 1832cc 6 cylinder Hondas. Prior to 2001 the fuel tank fume catcher was only used on California only models. The large "black can" { 1741-MJR-671 $215.45 } can be seen by looking into the center openings in the lower front cowl. The can is only held on by 2 very small bolts and the durn thing accidentally fell of my bike not long after I got it.;) Haven't found those lost bolts yet.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The EVAP can is installed on all 50 state U.S.A. 1832cc 6 cylinder Hondas. Prior to 2001 the fuel tank fume catcher was only used on California only models. The large "black can" { 1741-MJR-671 $215.45 } can be seen by looking into the center openings in the lower front cowl. The can is only held on by 2 very small bolts and the durn thing accidentally fell of my bike not long after I got it.;) Haven't found those lost bolts yet.
Ah I was wondering about that too. Do you know if there's a desmog kit for the 2014 Valks? I desmogged my last bike and it was easy and actually improved the sound somewhat, but I bet this one won't be so easy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ahh thanks I knew it was something along those lines. BTW locktite can fix that terrible problem of bolts unscrewing. Funny tho. I didn't think there was much vibration with our engines but yours may have something loose. You should get that checked ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been brainstorming a vent that I can drop in the fuel tank neck so that I can get air in there quicker instead of wasting time dicking with the pump to fill. I want to attach it to the cap so that it stays in place. I put a copper wire temporarily.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I never try to overfill. Fill to the bottom of the filler tube. I'm never far enough between gas stations that I have to worry about running out. I also bought a 5 gallon "No Spill gas can" I will strap to the carrier if I ever feel I will need the extra fuel.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I never try to overfill. Fill to the bottom of the filler tube. I'm never far enough between gas stations that I have to worry about running out. I also bought a 5 gallon "No Spill gas can" I will strap to the carrier if I ever feel I will need the extra fuel.
Can you say, "KABOOM!" Nothing like a high speed, rolling Molotov cocktail!! LOL!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Vaper caper

That looks ugly.
Umm, don't suppose you have, I mean know of anyone who might, have instructions on how to do this properly?[/quote ]

Remove the front center engine cover and the lower cowl.
If the EVAP can should happen to fall off the vacuum line #18 will need to be capped. Vent tube #4 must NOT be capped. Parts #3 ,6,7,8,10,11,13,14,15,and 19 can be removed. Solenoid #10 being unplugged will not cause the ECM to code. Part #2 is also a mount for the engine coolant drain system. More info on PAIR system later.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Remove the front center engine cover and the lower cowl.
If the EVAP can should happen to fall off the vacuum line #18 will need to be capped. Vent tube #4 must NOT be capped. Parts #3 ,6,7,8,10,11,13,14,15,and 19 can be removed. Solenoid #10 being unplugged will not cause the ECM to code. Part #2 is also a mount for the engine coolant drain system. More info on PAIR system later.
Thanks, another quick question, have you noticed any difference in performance as far as power or fuel economy? Better? worse?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Would you care for a PAIR?

The amount of power that these systems pull off the engine is very small. I would be highly unlikely that anyone could "feel" any differences from with these systems or without on a stock bike. However on bikes equipped with the Power Commander Auto Tune system the PAIR system must be disabled for it to work properly. Also the reed valves in the pair system can some times make annoying ticking sounds at idle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I overfilled my tank the very first time. It bubbled and frothed and settled back down below the filler neck several times - not overflowing the brim, though. I went in to pay and came out to see a puddle under the bike.

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have to be a little more careful de-smogging this bike as it is a computer bike. I didn't get my cap on tight and it gave me a check engine light. Overfilling will give you similar problems to overfilling a car with damage to the canister. I would be surprised if you could just removed the canister and didn't get a check engine light. I may have to buy a code reader at some point in the future.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The engine control module has no codes for them

It is true that the pair valve and the evap control valves are eclectically controlled by the Valkyrie's Engine Control Module. On many other bikes these systems can simply be controlled with engine manifold vacuum. The E.C.M. controls these systems but it doesn't have fault codes for them. The check engine light will not come on if there are no fault codes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I always fill up on the side-stand with handlebars straight, fill until it bubbles up the neck, then add .250 of a gallon. Never has leaked & haven't had any issues. Gets me an extra 10 mile range per tank.

·
Registered
116 Posts

That works.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm surprised at the question. With a 6.1 gallon tank, my Valk's range is more limited by either my hunger or my bladder:eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts