Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this has probably been discussed in the past, however I'm a new owner of a 2014 Burgundy Valkyrie.

I am looking to replace my tires and having a hard time finding a exact match. I have found a couple Bias ply options, but since the book calls for a radial I'm curious what others are running.

Also I have found several options in a 200/55 R17...will this fit the rear of the bike. The reason I ask is it is made by more manufacturers and is easier to get.

One last question...ME888 or Commander III...preferences?

·
Registered
343 Posts
You are not alone. As far as I know, Dunlop is the only manufacturer of radial front tires in the Valkyrie size of 130/60R19. There are several options in the stock rear size.

To answer your last question, I like both the Metzler and the Michelin. I think the ME888 comes in a 200/50R17 which is a closer match to the stock size, 180/55R17, than the 200/55R17. I think the 200/5017 Metzler would be a good choice for two-up and touring with heavy loads. Metzlers are frequently attributed to having long mileage which I have never been able to achieve. I'm strongly considering the Metzler ME888 in 200/50-R17 when my current rear Dunlop wears out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I realize this has probably been discussed in the past, however I'm a new owner of a 2014 Burgundy Valkyrie.

I am looking to replace my tires and having a hard time finding a exact match. I have found a couple Bias ply options, but since the book calls for a radial I'm curious what others are running.

Also I have found several options in a 200/55 R17...will this fit the rear of the bike. The reason I ask is it is made by more manufacturers and is easier to get.

I recently installed Avon tires. Front is Bias rear is radial but I cannot tell any difference in the ride and Avon tech support recommended this match up. I have had great mileage and service from Avon in the past and the bike handles really well since replacing the factory Dunlop's, I think there are many other tires that do just as well:

COBRA CHROME 130/60B19 FRONT
Avon Spirit ST Sport Touring Tires Rear 180/55ZR17 (73W)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a lot of looking and these are the best match I found and both are radials. The load rating on the front is about 30# lighter, however the heat rating on both are higher. Thanks for the link Sixshooter...good information

Michelin Road 5 Trail Motorcycle Tires
Michelin Road 5 Trail Motorcycle Tires

J&P Part #305-3664
Position: Front
Tire Size Description: 120/70ZR19 60W

Michelin Road 5 GT Motorcycle Tires
Michelin Road 5 GT Motorcycle Tires

J&P Part #440-1736
Position: Rear
Tire Size Description: 180/55ZR17 73W

·
Registered
360 Posts
ME 888 or Mich Cdr III... I've had both and strongly prefer the Mich, but to each his own. Having had to replace a flat with whatever the shop had on hand, I learned it wasn't so critical to me to have a matching set anymore. I've heard Avons are also highly rated by a lot of Valk 1800 riders, but I've not tried them.

·
Registered
2014 Honda Goldwing Valkyrie
6 Posts

yes the 200 55 17 will fit and its the biggest one you can use, I use Michelin Road commanders, if they are good enough for the police then they are good enough for me...
I hoped that I was able to help you in some small way...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts