Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my dentist this morning. He's a former Rune owner. I told him I was getting a Valkyrie, and he said I better think about new tires since, even though it only has 100 miles on it, they are probably dry rotted.

I hadn't even considered this possibility. Do you guys think I can get by for awhile, or should they be replaced? My CTX is also a 2014 and I see no sign of dry rot on its tires.

Guess I'll inspect them on arrival and go from there.

Richmonder

·
Registered
2014 Honda Valkyrie
256 Posts
Probably not an issue most all of these bike sat in a crate until 2 years ago when Honda released them into the wild... back then the tires looked fine and still are good... although gotta say, they have been on the planet 6 to 7 years now

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've read multiple authorities claim that over years, the compounds get more stiff, less sticky if you will, and that over 5 years is beginning to significantly inpact the tire's performance. Perhaps that magical 5 year period is extended if the tires have been shrink wrapped in a climate-controlled warehouse for 3 of those years, perhaps not. I HAVE seen 2 front tires show signs of dry rot even though there was plenty of tread left, and the first time that happened was a Magna I bought, and it failed inspection because of that. So at a minimum, keep a very close eye on them and then consider changing them a little earlier than you normally would, especially after you get comfortable enough that you're applying agressive force (braking or centrifugal) on them, or going on an out of state trip where an emergency replacement can run you $300+ for a brand that you're never choose but that's all they have at the nearest shop...

On that note, I absolutely hate the stock Dunlop front tire with the straight groove running up the center of the tread, as it really tracks with any grooves on the road, tar snakes or bridge grates. If I wanted the handlebars to come to life like that, I'd ride a Hardley. :eek: I was happy to replace that stock front tie before a trip even though it had plenty of tread left...

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bought mine new last year and have been literally sliding the front tire on curves. 6500 miles and front tire was worn badly on the left side. Replaced with a 120-70-19 and feels soo much better. I wish I would of done it when I first got it. Original back tire still has about half thread but doesn't have the issues near as bad as the front did.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. Is that literally all we can expect from the stock tire? I know there aren't many options for tires on this bike.

Richmonder

·
Registered
712 Posts
Wow. Is that literally all we can expect from the stock tire?

Richmonder
I have 26,500km on my second set of OEM Dunlops and they still looking fine. Changed the original set at 20,000km and they had plenty left - should have kept 'em longer. I keep the pressures up (one PSI above recommended, checked daily) and we don't have concrete roads here ('smooth' asphalt). The way the current tyres are looking I reckon I'll get 30,000km out of them. Keeping the tyres firm is key IMO...soft tyres flex more, heat up more, wear more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the Avon AV71 (120/70ZR-19) at the front. It's been 16k miles, looks like new. But don't ever get the AV80 for the rear, check my previous posts for more info.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have 2015 (2 years old) and I'm still running the factory tires I have 7000 miles on them and they still look good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just got back from a 2,500 mile road trip to Arkansas. Rear tire is now gone on the left side at 9,000 miles. Going to replace with something different. Was thinking something a little narrower and taller like did with the front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts