Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my entire life, I don't remember ever enduring a summer this hot. This past week it was at least 94 or more degrees in Richmond every day, with humidity levels in the 50% or more range every day at all times. Even after the sun goes down it's still hot and humid.

My AC seems to cycle on again, 5 minutes after it cycles off. One day this week, I noticed it was running nonstop and the air was barely blowing cold. A friend suggested maybe my line was frozen, so I shut it off for a couple hours and now it seems to be running fine. That's NEVER happened before. My unit uses the old refrigerant, so whether it's repair or replacement, either way it's going to be expensive if I need something. And forget trying to get a technician to your house right now. They're working overtime and can't keep up with the calls. We had a power outage for a couple hours yesterday, and I was really grateful to have a generator that kept the house cool.

My house is pretty "green". I added extra insulation to the attic, have energy efficient replacement windows throughout, my crawl space is encapsulated, I change my filters regularly, and I do everything I can to minimize electrical use and energy waste. Being a single guy with a smaller home, my worst-ever electric bill was $150. I guarantee it will be higher this month.

I step outside to do some work in the yard, and within 10 minutes, I'm soaked. I rode my Valk to the dentist about 8 miles from my house this week, and by the time I got there, my head was dripping in sweat from the helmet. I remember when I was a kid, we didn't have AC early on, but our summer temps in Iowa weren't anywhere like this. I wouldn't want to be without it today.

Meanwhile, the fine folks at CNN have now made AC a societal evil and are calling it a "dangerous infatuation", and describing those of us who like it as "self-indulgent":

Font News Screenshot Electric blue Advertising

Maybe we've gotten soft over the years, but I will not apologize to anyone for wanting to be comfortable and running my AC. I bet the author of that article wrote it in an air conditioned building.

Which brings me to my point. Are you guys out riding much in this heat? Is it this bad where you live? Britman, I know you did! We'll be pushing 99 degrees in Richmond this weekend. I don't even enjoy a ride when it's this hot and the 6-cylinder dual radiator furnace underneath me is putting out even more heat, where the wind doesn't even feel cool. I could live with the heat in the 90's if not for this awful humidity. I stuck a pan under the drain hose for my AC on the house this week and it was full in a matter of an hour. I have seen birds splashing in it since it's nice cool, clean water. It is putting out a ton of condensation.

And you can't gear up comfortably and wear full gloves, jeans, boots, long sleeves and full face helmet. You'd die of heat stroke! What's a biker to do? I admit - I will ride with shorts and a t-shirt, boat shoes and my helmet. Scares me to death, but that's the only way I can tolerate a ride in this weather. Meanwhile the sun continues rotting out the already leathery skin on my forearms from years of riding with them exposed.

I just needed to rant. This heat SUCKS!

Richmonder

·
Registered
409 Posts
No A/C in this house apart from a free standing mobile one in our bedroom where Sandra like to sleep in a frickin meat locker. Elsewhere we just use portable fans and open windows. We are right on a creek so some days the humidity can be bad BUT the cascading water also provides a cooling breeze.

After a heavy rain

·
Registered
807 Posts
94 degrees? That’s a nice spring day in Onslow, a town a bit north of where I live. They had 123 degrees up there recently. Mind you it fried their brains … or maybe they’re always like that? 😎. Global warming: coming to a town near you right now.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Boy, Richmonder, I can sincerely relate. I live in a house built in 1884 in south-central Illinois, have had all windows replaced, special insulation, etc., and just like you said, I'm paying astronomically higher energy bills than previously! And it's just me and my 46-year-old disabled step-daughter here, now that her mom died last year. She was born with ecto-dysplasia, i.e., born without sweat glands to help her body cool naturally, and must be artificially cooled in weather like this. And I have to have back-ups, obviously. No, I haven't ridden my bike this year, but am waiting for cooler, fall weather to start 'er up. Desperately! I also must avoid prolonged heat myself now due to multiple experiences of the cumulative effects of heat/sun "poisoning". Like you said, "suiting up" just isn't an alluring proposition. I'm broiling within my helmet, let alone leathers, unknowingly while in the wind. I'd pull up to a stoplight in this heat/humidity, waiting for a green light, and then just fall over sideways like comedian Arte Johnson used to do on his tricycle on "Laugh-In". It's just not funny anymore, 'cause I really want to ride. Haven't even been able to put the top down on the convertible lately except after dusk. Haven't been in the outdoor hot-tub since the last frost. Tonight's forecast: it won't get below 82 degrees, All. Night. Long. I feel your pain! Am about to go into the bar room and rev up the Margarita machine! (It uses a kick-starter.) Ole'! 🍸

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
In my entire life, I don't remember ever enduring a summer this hot. This past week it was at least 94 or more degrees in Richmond every day, with humidity levels in the 50% or more range every day at all times. Even after the sun goes down it's still hot and humid.

My AC seems to cycle on again, 5 minutes after it cycles off. One day this week, I noticed it was running nonstop and the air was barely blowing cold. A friend suggested maybe my line was frozen, so I shut it off for a couple hours and now it seems to be running fine. That's NEVER happened before. My unit uses the old refrigerant, so whether it's repair or replacement, either way it's going to be expensive if I need something. And forget trying to get a technician to your house right now. They're working overtime and can't keep up with the calls. We had a power outage for a couple hours yesterday, and I was really grateful to have a generator that kept the house cool.

My house is pretty "green". I added extra insulation to the attic, have energy efficient replacement windows throughout, my crawl space is encapsulated, I change my filters regularly, and I do everything I can to minimize electrical use and energy waste. Being a single guy with a smaller home, my worst-ever electric bill was $150. I guarantee it will be higher this month.

I step outside to do some work in the yard, and within 10 minutes, I'm soaked. I rode my Valk to the dentist about 8 miles from my house this week, and by the time I got there, my head was dripping in sweat from the helmet. I remember when I was a kid, we didn't have AC early on, but our summer temps in Iowa weren't anywhere like this. I wouldn't want to be without it today.

Meanwhile, the fine folks at CNN have now made AC a societal evil and are calling it a "dangerous infatuation", and describing those of us who like it as "self-indulgent":

View attachment 13791

Maybe we've gotten soft over the years, but I will not apologize to anyone for wanting to be comfortable and running my AC. I bet the author of that article wrote it in an air conditioned building.

Which brings me to my point. Are you guys out riding much in this heat? Is it this bad where you live? Britman, I know you did! We'll be pushing 99 degrees in Richmond this weekend. I don't even enjoy a ride when it's this hot and the 6-cylinder dual radiator furnace underneath me is putting out even more heat, where the wind doesn't even feel cool. I could live with the heat in the 90's if not for this awful humidity. I stuck a pan under the drain hose for my AC on the house this week and it was full in a matter of an hour. I have seen birds splashing in it since it's nice cool, clean water. It is putting out a ton of condensation.

And you can't gear up comfortably and wear full gloves, jeans, boots, long sleeves and full face helmet. You'd die of heat stroke! What's a biker to do? I admit - I will ride with shorts and a t-shirt, boat shoes and my helmet. Scares me to death, but that's the only way I can tolerate a ride in this weather. Meanwhile the sun continues rotting out the already leathery skin on my forearms from years of riding with them exposed.

I just needed to rant. This heat SUCKS!

Richmonder
I feel for you bro. We get a lot people from the south who live in the mountains in the summer time. But when you're riding, it doesn't matter. Hot is hot. You remember Farther had a bunch of jackets for sale? One of them has proven to be awesome when it's hot. It's a full mesh riding jacket. It's amazing how much cooler I stay with this jacket on. The air flows right through it, yet it still has the armoring in the back, shoulders and elbows. I wear a fly fishing shirt underneath. It's the one I have on in the last few videos. I also bought a pair of mesh riding pants. They seem to do the trick too. The mesh will let rain in, but then I just put a regular rain jacket over it. It was 95 when I rode through Delta, Colorado a few weeks ago and I didn't really feel it.

Of course, we don't hardly have any humidity here. We bought a small air conditioner a few years ago but it depends on the night. Sometimes we use it, sometimes we don't. We went several years without one. The metal roof gets really, really hot though. I scalded myself once when I was washing the windows. From the time the water ran off the windows to the time it came off the roof it got scalding.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here in Arizona, 94 is a nice day in the summer. We have been averaging 110+ for a while, with afternoon thunderstorms that bring some (small amount of) rain, but add humidity into the mix. It has been too hot to even think of riding the Valk for over a month now, though there are folks out there riding every day...the ones with full leathers and helmets must be melting.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Here in Arizona, 94 is a nice day in the summer. We have been averaging 110+ for a while, with afternoon thunderstorms that bring some (small amount of) rain, but add humidity into the mix. It has been too hot to even think of riding the Valk for over a month now, though there are folks out there riding every day...the ones with full leathers and helmets must be melting.
Yeah, but my 80 year old uncle and other relatives who've retired to the Phoenix area keep asking me to come out to visit them, 'cause it's a "dry heat". So is being microwaved. Not buyin' it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, but my 80 year old uncle and other relatives who've retired to the Phoenix area keep asking me to come out to visit them, 'cause it's a "dry heat". So is being microwaved. Not buyin' it.
The "dry heat" thing is oversold, at least in the summer here, but for about 9 months of the year it is really, really nice here. Check back in February when it is 80 (and dry) here and you are freezing your tits off somewhere :cool:

·
Registered
412 Posts
It's nice being able to ride in TX 12 months a year, but this year we're approaching a record with dozens of days with high of100 degrees or more, and it's not so much a dry heat, so trying to get out in the 80 degree sunrise and back by lunch.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My brother live outside of Phoenix and its brutal. Last time I was there it was like a blow torch and now they are running out of water. Place is drying up! Yeah thanks no thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
My brother live outside of Phoenix and its brutal. Last time I was there it was like a blow torch and now they are running out of water. Place is drying up! Yeah thanks no thanks
Much easier to sit on the bike in the garage, rev the engine a bit with a hairdryer on HI pointed at your face.... We're at something like 43 days this year that hit at least 100 degrees.... coMMMME ONNNNNNNN FALL!

Reactions: Richmonder
1 - 12 of 12 Posts