Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New South Wales (a state here in Australia) is the first to roll out high definition cameras that use artificial intelligence to catch people using phones while driving. They're installing 45 of them across the state at a cost of $88 million and will not be indicating their positions so drivers will never know they've been through one. Phone use while driving is a modern day scourge and Australia is leading the way in dealing with it. The culture has definitely changed here. You see people pulled off the road all over the place making calls now.

·
Registered
547 Posts
so what if your using your iphone for gps service? 45/88 mil. that's a cool 2 mil per. somebody has got them a sweet fat gov contract.. gov is more interested in revenue generating, on your tax dime.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This reminds me of when Arizona (A state in the US) tried to pilot speed cameras. It was all fun and games till tens of thousands of people were getting tickets in the mail for exorbant fines for speeding. It got to the point where petitions and threats of ousting elected officials started happening and mysteriously speed cameras became nonexistent and never spoken of again...:D

But in your case once the media catches wind of officials getting out of paying fines... Oh, wait... The media is in bed with the elected officials there too... Yep, petitions it is!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
so what if your using your iphone for gps service? 45/88 mil. that's a cool 2 mil per. somebody has got them a sweet fat gov contract.. gov is more interested in revenue generating, on your tax dime.
If it raises revenue at the same as stopping phone use, cool. Win/win. It's like the massive tax on cigarettes here. A pack of 20 cigarettes costs between $30 - $50. At least those who choose to kill themselves that way have to pay for the privilege.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have no problem with actual curbing peoples inclination toward doing things like driving more safely.. I do have problems with Gov instituting even more Controls over their citizens. Once this revenue stream is in place and yielding handsome returns, it will never go away and will get propagated into many other areas of human activity.. If ever this particular source of revenue should subside because people actually curb their texting while driving habits, or more likely find other ways to beat this photo gathering system, then Gov will find new ways to trip you and new things to fine you for.. what I am saying, is that Gov doesn't give a rip about your safety, that is just the ploy they use to find another way to fleece the flock. sheeple. Gov is out of control with Insatiable appetite for Spending which requires ever greater revenue generating schemes.

this is the same as all those laws and measures to get people to not drive while intoxicated. at most its just a slap on the wrist and turn you back into society to do it again and eventually kill some (other) body. So they take away your license to drive. like that every stopped anybody from continuing to drive.. and then later drink. and then drive. again.

IF you really want to stop somebody from bad behavior, this requires a penalty has to be such that they would never do that again.. pay a fine, sheesh. and the richer you are, the less it matters.
How about if the First time you are caught driving while intoxicated, you loose your Privilege to drink/smoke/drugs/etc.. yes you would be Registered as an offender and restricted from consuming any product, even cant have it with near you transport or otherwise. Anybody licensed to sell or distribute contraband furnishing it to Registered offenders also pays a HUGE fine. you take away peoples Privilege (no its not a right) to medicate their pain and then you will see how few get behind the wheel of vehicle while under influence..

·
Registered
547 Posts
this system timed out before I amended it with this statement; the First time you are caught using your cell phone / texting while driving you lose your Privilege to have/use/carry/possess a cell phone. you are Registered as an Offender and you are not allowed to re acquire another cell device and/or service. anybody selling/furnishing equipment or service to registered offender pays a Huge Fine.. WHOA! that would put the brakes on people using their phones while driving pronto as in overnight. and it didn't cost 88 million infrastructure and didn't give one more dime to of their Drug of Choice (money) to the Gov. now there is a Win-Win.

·
Registered
116 Posts
so what if your using your iphone for gps service?

That's fine if the phone is in a cradle, not hand held.

Most of us rant and rebel against trivial nanny state laws, but any measure that gets mobile phones out of drivers hands while they are driving is ok with me. These cameras, like speed cameras will do very little until the letter arrives in the mail demanding $$ and informing of a loss of demerit* points.

*in most states of Oz drivers/riders have about a dozen 'points' allocated their licence. Traffic infringements carry a monetary penalty plus a sliding scale of 'points' eg 1 point and $250 for a few over the speed limit up to 5 points and $2000 or so for higher speed.

Testing your top speed on the Valk gets you instant loss of licence on the side of the road. Call your mother to come and drive you home big boy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You mean like capital punishment for murder. That's working well.
left turn, now your petticoat is showing as is lib indoctrination. capital punishment for murder is not intended or meant to be a deterrent. who the fk is selling that idea? let me guess, Lib U. et al. it IS justice aka the price for aggrevious behavior in society. you take a life / you lose yours. it is Not deterrence. it is the price you pay. kaching? those that are **** bent on murder are going to do it regardless.

what the touchy feely crowd seem to miss entirely as they think They can Redeem and Save the world (that is core indoctrination), is that (most) everybody gets 2 dates in life & death. if your lucky, birth and death. the time allocated between those two dates is a function of how well you behave in any society. its not a guarantee but it does improve the odds.

IF you transgress aggreviously, such as murder, then your end date is just moved up. what is so fkng hard to understand about t hat? oh, but somebody might get executed only to later be vindicated. so? what is your point? sometimes bad schitt happens. keep your head up and eyes open. don't run with bad people. all the things your parents should have taught you.

then there is the whole issue about how do you do it? quickly! there doesn't even have to be a mess to deal with as many libs have issues, and do they. . just stuff a 10lb bag of dry ice under the bed and a towel under the door. the perp doesn't even need to know its being done. the big deep sleep.

the reason societies are rampant with all kinds of crime is that justice is not metted out quickly. if you just keep piling up the garbage you breed more rats. somebody has to take the garbage out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Making America Grate Again.

I guess with the worlds highest prison population, the worlds highest prison population rate and the worlds highest prison recidivism rate you Americans really know how to do it. Again. And again.

I'm surprised that the Americans haven't tried carrying guns around to lower the rate of gun crime. That might work.

·
Registered
547 Posts
no we don't have a handle or clue on how to Salvage or Redeem societies ills. 50yrs of piling up criminals into ever more crowded prisons isn't the answer.

we don't have the luxury of shipping all of these to another continent. maybe we should consider that? seems that is what is being done to US as of late.

·
Registered
547 Posts
OK Poncho, you rant, we'll act. Lets see who has the highest rate of texting drivers in 12 months. I know where my money will be.
huh? wtf is that suppose to mean? are you counting something? US population (over crowded cities) is 329 million.. Oz is 25 mil. so I'm not sure what you are referring to , counting? or catching? or? who is keeping these scores? we certainly aren't.
My point was that Gov doesn't give a rip about your safety. it uses societal issues to drive revenue. Yes we should find ways to curb peoples habits of looking at their phones while driving. taking pictures and sending you a bill is way behind the curve.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...taking pictures and sending you a bill is way behind the curve.
So what would "ahead of the curve" look like? Your suggestion was make the penalties really severe "so they'll never do it again". Hardly cutting edge thinking. Besides, how do you catch them to issue the penalty? Cameras.

·
Registered
547 Posts
if the True Purpose of a penalty is such that it would Change your behavior it must be such that anybody ever getting one would be so profoundly put out that they would never ever even consider doing it again and this howl of pain would be heard far and wide so much so that even you who have never done such a fool hardy thing would think more than twice about ever even considering doing it.
IF your cell phone and services were taken away because you transgressed, you would lose all privilege to this for a substantial period of time would not be worth the few moments of driving with it. Yes this is extreme, but that is the True Purpose of it is to cause you to never consider it in the first place.

Only a few would ever have to be caught for this overly painful experience to get broadcast. You think that officers never see you or others using your phone? they do all the time, just like you see others. They just don't have the tools and the time to pull everybody over and write them a citation (slap on the wrist fine). some they do, but the fine is not enough to change behavior.

my ideas may not be so cutting edge or ahead of the curve but they are better than the "catch and release" method currently in play at the cost of 2 million per camera location that will only serve to drive more money into the hands of Gov and feed their insatiable addiction to spending.. Gov does not care that you keep using your phone while driving so long as they can keep sending you fines to pay. actually that is exactly what they are counting on.

so what are your ideas? besides lets just spend enormous amounts of the peoples money to spy on their behaviors and send them a bill for it, after the fact when they can't undo their transgression. Lessons are best learned while they are happening, not 30 days later.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...a penalty is such that it would Change your behavior it must be such that anybody ever getting one would be so profoundly put out that they would never ever even consider doing it again and this howl of pain would be heard far and wide so much so that even you who have never done such a fool hardy thing would think more than twice about ever even considering doing it.
IF your cell phone and services were taken away because you transgressed, you would lose all privilege to this for a substantial period of time would not be worth the few moments of driving with it. Yes this is extreme, but that is the True Purpose of it is to cause you to never consider it in the first place.

Only a few would ever have to be caught for this overly painful experience to get broadcast. You think that officers never see you or others using your phone? they do all the time, just like you see others. They just don't have the tools and the time to pull everybody over and write them a citation (slap on the wrist fine). some they do, but the fine is not enough to change behavior.

my ideas may not be so cutting edge or ahead of the curve but they are better than the "catch and release" method currently in play at the cost of 2 million per camera location that will only serve to drive more money into the hands of Gov and feed their insatiable addiction to spending.. Gov does not care that you keep using your phone while driving so long as they can keep sending you fines to pay. actually that is exactly what they are counting on.

so what are your ideas? besides lets just spend enormous amounts of the peoples money to spy on their behaviors and send them a bill for it, after the fact when they can't undo their transgression. Lessons are best learned while they are happening, not 30 days later.
Addled thinking mate. I'm out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here in New York state you can be fined for having phone in hand. Even if your not texting or talking. If you pick up your phone you can be ticketed. However this does not stop many drivers. Almost everyday i see people leave grocery store get in and start car and phone as they enter traffic. With all the blue tooth devices availiable people don't care or are too stupid to comply.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts