Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Virginia Valkyrie Riders Club (VVRC) had its first official meeting of the year yesterday, and we were proud to induct a new member to the club, making a whopping three members now! Our own Vambee, otherwise now affectionately known as Ricky Rocket (not to be confused with the drummer from Poison) was inducted in the group on our historical ride to Jamestown yesterday. Ricky earned his nickname in a hurry because he likes to ride FAST! I'm at the opposite end of the speed pectrum and Rick is somewhere in the middle. And Rick looked like he was headed to a biker wedding in his white shirt and black vest and pants.

RRoy (also known as RIck) rode to Richmond Sunday night, and I met up with him Monday about 8:30. We took off from Richmond about 8:50 and gassed up in Hopewell, and then caught Route 5 to Jamestown. I had always been told to take that ride down to the ferry, and with Ricky Rocket now on board and living nearby, it was a perfect opportunity and excuse to make the ride. Route 5 is a nice country highway with light traffic and lots of scenery along the way, with occasional patches of shade. There is a walking and bicycle trail that runs from Richmond to Williamsburg called the Capital Trail, and it parallels Route 5. You see a lot of cyclists along the way.

We met Ricky at a parking lot on Colonial Parkway. He was already waiting for us upon arrival. We all hit it off great and chatted a bit, and took a few snapshots of each other and our three Valks. All three were freshly cleaned and looking PURDY. Mine is black, Rick's is blue, and Ricky's is red, so it made for a good variety of colors in the photos. Not to mention, where else on this planet would you have seen three Valks together in one place yesterday? One is unusual, two is a freak encounter, and three or more is like seeing Bigfoot! Did that really happen?

With a full agenda, we took off from the parking lot and headed for the Jamestown/Scotland ferry, which is a free ride across the James River to Surry and runs every half hour. We rode off the dock and they directed us to the inside lane of the ferry against the wall, all together. We were soon under way. The ferry ride is smooth as silk. You can barely tell you're moving. Departure and arrival were almost without detection. The ride is about 15 minutes and very scenic. Many seagulls and cormorants ride the ferry and line the pilings on the two docks.

Upon departure from the southbound ferry, we made our way to Bacon's Castle. It is the oldest brick dwelling in North America and was occupied by Nathaniel Bacon after he and his men conducted an uprising known as Bacon's Rebellion. Unfortunately, the building was closed, and we could only walk around the grounds. We took an action shot of the two Ricks in front of the building. Bacon's Castle - Preservation Virginia

From there, we took off to have lunch at the famous Virginia Diner in Wakefield, which has been a Virginia institution forever and was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Good American comfort food. I think the staff and the patrons saw us all pull in on our bikes and kept a close eye on us for a while until they knew we were going to behave. We had a delicious lunch, me having my go-to meal of chopped steak with onions and gravy. In years past, they used to serve peanut soup. It sounds disgusting but trust me, it's delicious. They no longer serve it, however. Wakefield is the self-proclaimed peanut capital of the world. Virginia Diner | American Restaurant in Wakefield, VA

Rick needed to get home to the beach for work, so he took off from there, leaving me and Ricky for the rest of the day's adventures. Ricky and I took off and went to Smith's Fort Plantation. It was Captain John Smith's site for his new fort, directly across the river from Jamestown. Unfortunately it too was closed. But, we could walk around the grounds. From there, we went back to the ferry. The line at the entrance was about 15 cars deep, and we had about a 5 minute wait to get on. Upon entering the ferry, we were parked in a lane directly behind two other bikers, a father and daughter riding a big Harley and a Honda CB500X (I believe). Very nice people. We chatted them up until we got to the north dock. Again, a completely smooth ferry ride without the slightest wave or bump. https://www.virginiadot.org/travel/ferry-jamestown.asp

We took off from the ferry and stopped at a scenic pull off along the York River to stretch our legs and take a few photos. I instantly smelled the horriffic smell of decaying dead animal. Ricky spotted it while shooting some pictures - a tin of freshly caught fish that someone had just dumped, for whatever reason. I assume they weren't supposed to have them and may have gotten caught. Flies were on the fish by the thousand. I attempted to flip the tin over to cover the fish, but I only succeeded in further exposing the fish and giving the flies more surface area on which to feed. And if you can imagine, it made the stench unimaginably worse.

We proceeded to the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown in pursuit of me obtaining my lifetime senior parks pass, but it was not a federal museum. We did manage to take a couple photos of us with George Washington seated on a bench there. Moving on, we went to the Yorktown National Battlefield Park to enable me to get my pass. I walked in and bought it and had the officer take my picture with it, but I could see his hands were so shaky it wasn't going to turn out, even before I looked at it. Moving on, we went to the site of the Yorktown Victory statue for a photo shoot. It's a pretty impressive statue. On the way to the museum, a little fawn was standing roadside, and a momentary panic set in, fearing it might bolt in front of one of us. Ricky was almost past it before he saw it, and thankfully it bolted into the woods instead of into the road, sparing us a disaster.

Ricky was needing to get home to pick up his other motorcycle, and it was getting late in the afternoon, so we went our separate ways about 4:30. I hopped on Colonial Parkway, which is a great and scenic ride back to the main roads with lots of shade, brick viaducts, and smooth road surface. I missed my exit to return on Route 5, and wound up going home on Route 60, which is much more commercial and less pleasing to the eye. But, I know it will take me there. I spotted a few restaurants I would have enjoyed for dinner, but was anxious to get home.

I arrived home at 6:15, shoulder blades feeling like they had daggers in them, and after putting the bike up and eating dinner, I relaxed on the couch and woke up at 1:15 in the morning. Dead asleep. I managed to stumble into bed and got a good night's sleep.

Thanks to my other Valk buddies for a GREAT day of riding in historic Virginia!

Richmonder

P.S. I should add, after I was several miles down the road on my way home, I glanced down at my fuel gauge, not having given it a thought all day. I was sitting on one bar. I didn't know if I was now running on fumes or if that meant I still had a gallon or two. I start getting a little OCD when my gauge gets down to half in any of my vehicles. I drove for miles in the most rural areas of route 60 without seeing a gas station, getting more panicked by the minute. Finally I came upon a station that had the most expensive gas I'd seen all day, but I was desperate, and filled up. Whew.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Sky Boat Naval architecture Cruise ship Watercraft

Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Plant Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Plant Sky Ecoregion Tree Land lot

Trousers Smile Plant People in nature Gesture

Reactions: RRoy

·
Super Moderator
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Plant Sky Cloud Luggage and bags Wheel

Plant Tire Wheel Tree Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Cloud Sky

Building Plant Window Property Sky

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

Reactions: RRoy

·
Super Moderator
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Sky Plant Water Cloud Road surface

White Sleeve Glove Vision care Smile

Water Sky Cloud Boat Watercraft

Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

Shoe Plant Sculpture Art Statue

Plant Sculpture Art Statue Grass

Jeans Glasses Sky Cloud Plant

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice report Richmonder! Great to see the fellas gettin’ out and doin’ it 👍🏼. Vambee wins the Shiny Bike Award too… of course it could just be the camera 😎
It must be the camera angle. Richmonder's Valkyrie is nicknamed "The Little Princess" because it stay so clean and shiny. I was on a mountain ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway last year with Richmonder and we pulled up to a scenic view and I am checking out the incredible vista's and scenery and I look over and Craig had the entire and mean "entire" Meguiar's product line laid out next to the bike and was doing a detail clean and polish! I was traveling with food & clothing in my bags and I think most of his saddle bag was packed with Meguiar's. LOL - I should have sent it in as a marketing campaign for their products! Welcome to Meguiar's | Meguiar's @Richmonder :)

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Bikes and riders looking good! Wow a 33% increase in the VVRC, just like that! Looks like a great day. It's been awhile since I've seen photos of multiple Valkyries in one place.

Nice job documenting the ride, Craig!

Thanks Craig, Rick and Ricky.

·
Super Moderator
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bikes and riders looking good! Wow a 33% increase in the VVRC, just like that! Looks like a great day. It's been awhile since I've seen photos of multiple Valkyries in one place.

Nice job documenting the ride, Craig!

Thanks Craig, Rick and Ricky.
Thanks Dan! With the hurricane still twirling around the area our region is inundated with rain right now and debris all over the place. So far Virginia has been spared the worst but just in my neighborhood the roads are really messy. Won't be doing any riding for a few days. Isn't that a 50% increase? :p 😎

Richmonder

• Love
Reactions: RRoy and Sixshooter
1 - 9 of 9 Posts