Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like the ride more and more but the look less and less. But the ride will win at the end of the day because you can't look at your bike while you're riding it anyway. And, ultimately, why do you buy a bike? To look at it on it's kick stand? No. To RIDE it. Yeah baby...

·
Registered
547 Posts
gp, So what is the plan? do you have one? or is it too many? and your are conflicted? how perzactly do you ride your / this bike? is it a daily rider or just weekend bender or do you use it for survey and map the continent? how does this bike work for you and how does it not work too very much well for what it is that you do? or think that you do? these are all contemplative thoughts you might consider before you do anything you might regret. not saying that there is anything that you could or would do that might get you into the funk zone. But if you had a Vision of what it is that you wanted to / from your magic carpet ride, then you might be able to do a rudimentary draft of it and then perhaps even a map of how to get it to there... from here. Sometimes the better route is not a straight line. Meaning, sometimes you have to make a whole lot of small changes that take you down roads that you might not be thrilled with, only to turn around and go down another direction till you find that place where you and the bike are grooving on the scenery.. what I am saying is that the more time you spend wrenching on your machine the more intimate you become with it and learn all the nuances of what it likes and doesn't and what you like and don't like. eventually you arrive at a place where you and the bike are at peace with the world because its just you and the bike and the rest of the world can go fk themselves. So much for admonish'en. ponchout

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good thoughts Poncho. I think my plan is going to be a whole lot more long distance riding. As you suggested to DP, it changes the relationship you have with the bike for the better if you tend to be a compulsive "cleaner and polisher". Wrenching has never been my strong suit but yes, need to start dipping that toe in the water too. Modern bikes just don't lend themselves to it so much. When I wore a younger man's clothes I used to always be fiddling around with my cars but they've almost become sealed units these days. I've definitely decided the Valkyrie is a keeper - it performs too well to get rid of. But I need to increasingly forget what it looks like and get out there and do some longer distance riding. I clock up plenty of miles - around 30,000km a year - but its all day-run stuff. Need some longer hikes. Was it Ox who went up through the centre of Oz to the top? Now that's a hike! Probably not that ambitious but at least some multi-day /week long rides I think to take the relationship with the bike to that new level. I tend to be a "have credit card, will travel" kinda guy so the Valkyrie is the perfect beast for that ;). I do get kinda caught up when I see things like that BMW R18. I really love that almost "steam punk" thing. Was out at CleanRide yesterday and he had an AWESOME looking custom that was REALLY steam-punk. Scroll through his pics in the link below to check it out. But I liked what you called such things the other day: a bar hopper. That's really all they're good for. Looking at and trundling around town and getting admiring glances. Real riding will always be done on things like Honda Valkyries which are first and foremost designed to actually work. Lotsa miles is definitely the key. Make the bike your depended-upon friend - dings, scratches and all - and you reach a new level of pleasure. I'm also a musician and when I got a custom bass made the luthier, perhaps knowing my natural tendencies, said "now go out and make that thing look like Grandpa's hammer!". Sage advice and something I have to keep reminding myself of. Long waffle, but I feel better now :)

Here's the Cleanride pics...
https://www.cleanride.com.au/photo-gallery1.html

The steam-punk custom pics are the group of nine at the top, on the right

·
Registered
547 Posts
life is for living. bikes are for riding. the world is for exploring. if you don't have any good stories to tell is because you aint getting it done... get 'er done! ponchout

I have a schitt load of bucket list items to cross off b4 I punch out. just a hiccup in the road, a couple little grandaughters and now I got two anchors around my heart.. but when them darlins' get to skool age, I'm gonna bust out and whip that list. I plan to start an old skool writing program with the girls, send them cards and letters from the 4 corners of the uni.. world. cant get too far away. they can wait by the mail box for hand written letters and pix from gramps. and they can learn to write letters and mail them to me.

My lil bro lives in Syndey. I plan to bunk on his couch and drink all his beer in his fridge while I map my circum navigate that little island you call Oz. this little 6 month excursion is just one of many of my retirement episodes. I think to buy a adventure bike down there for this epic adventure. Taz and Kiwi the following year.

all this is to work up to another 6 plus month adventure I have in mind, but need a crew. there is safety in numbers when dodging bears and bullets. the Ride up to Dead Horse Alaska is just the primer. I want to ride from the artic ocean to the southern ocean, Patagonia. the park sign says it is the end of the world. you can see it from there. https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...e014cf7a2782c!8m2!3d-46.9403726!4d-71.2750061
oh, I forgot to add this one little piece of might be important information. I want to do it on an Electric Adventure bike. anybody can ride a mo'sickle, I want to sneak up on those bears and bandits.

·
Registered
116 Posts
..... Need some longer hikes. Was it Ox who went up through the centre of Oz to the top? Now that's a hike! Probably not that ambitious but at least some multi-day /week long rides I think to take the relationship with the bike to that new level. ..

Yes, that was me. I'm planning a ride on my Tiger 955i to Cooktown next week (via Warrnambool,VIC) and back to Newcastle in 4 days. A month later I'm heading to Perth and back on the G650GS in 4 days.

Geepers I have a suggestion. The first Saturday in August (since 1976) marks the Border Run. Riders from all over the country meet at Border Village just to catch up. Thats 1440km or so from your place. You don't have to turn it into an Iron Butt 1600km ride in 24 hours or anything, but over a day and a half you could stretch the legs. While you're there you could head farther east and cross the Nullarbor - a bucket list thing for most Aussie riders. Head back home via Esperance and Albany and you'll have had quite a trip.

http://bordervillageroadhouse.com.au/border-run-history/

If you really do want to get into long distance riding and meet like minded riders follow the links to the Australian FarRiders website (http://farriders.com.au/index.php ). There's a ride to eat on 22nd June called FarRide West#39 meeting at Meekatharra.

Longer yet is the Iron Butt Association (https://www.ibaaustralia.com/) with 60000+ riders around the world.

Those steampunk shots are good.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...while I map my circum navigate that little island you call Oz.
Only one essential: be travelling across the top end of Australia in the dry season (May to October). There's only two seasons up there - the wet and the dry. The wet is stinking hot, high humidity, cyclones and well, WET. Best avoided.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nullarbor - . Head back home via Esperance . meeting at Meekatharra. .
and they say you can't understand some 'merican slang.. its hard to believe Aussies are English.. where did you guys come up with some of the Names and God forbid all the colloquialism you guys come up with.. I gotta think you just make schitt up as you go.. I'm gonna need 'nuther beer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like the ride and the look. But what I like better is the stink eye I get from Harley owners...>:D

·
Registered
464 Posts
I like the ride more and more but the look less and less.
It's cool looking and then it ain't!

I've had it for 5 mths. I'm sure I will put many miles on it and continue to get looks and questions.

So, the longer I own it, it'll have to continue being ugly and the best performing motorcycle I've ever owned.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think it looks great, and I get compliments all the time, complete strangers feel the n3ed to come up and GUSH over it. Maybe it just looks better in the 15 red?

So I glad to NOT be on a batwinged all-look-the-same HD.

·
Registered
547 Posts
So I glad to NOT be on a batwinged all-look-the-same HD.
yep, probably don't wear a helmet or leather jacket either because some hardley guys were wearing them and they all looked the same. don't want anybody to think was one of them knuckledragger types.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
...what I like better is the stink eye I get from Harley owners...>:D
Here in Australia they won't even look at you. It's eyes straight ahead as if you don't even exist. I sit there thinking: Mate, what have you got to be superior about? That thing is expensive, slow, shakes like a drunk and rides like a pig. Then again, maybe it's not a sense of superiority that I'm witnessing at all. Maybe it's shame.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Speaking of Hardly Driveable owners, here's a cute little story...

I was at a rider cafe with a bunch of others when a troupe of half a dozen HD riders turned up, including two girls on brand new Fat Boys. The girls had to get off and wait for the men to reverse their bikes in for them. Very funny. You could tell the guys were really not enjoying it as it had to be done in front of a whole lot of onlookers. To add to their humiliation, Geepers got up and went and admired the girls' bikes and - gasp - TALKED TO THEM. The guys were not impressed at all but couldn't say anything coz everyone was watching. Naughty, Geepers, naughty...

·
Registered
547 Posts
"Mate, that's a ripper barbie you knocked up there" "Piece of piss to a trained digger, mate. Speaking of piss, could you go a tinny?" "Could I! I'm drier than a dead dingo's donga" You know it makes sense:

all things being relative, einstien.. maybe that's the problem, too much inbreeding? it makes about as much sense as this hole in my beer mug. but what we want to know is "did you get her number"?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I find the lot of Taz'rs to be a quite friendly lot of blokes. many years of conversing with aussies, tazers and kiwis on the Vulcan 4m did bond well with this bunch of ner'dowells. until I gave my buddy my V2k that is. you would have thought I broke their heart, such was their fondness of that particular warhorse. I was no longer a chief mischief maker in their tribe having crossed the line into ***** territory and conspiring with hot Italians with bad attitudes. Even so I still do maintain open converse'atory and ride with a handful of the Kawboys every other year or two. whichever comes first. Yet still they have not revoked my welcome card to either of those islands should I ever get finished feeding uncle sam his addiction to taxes and his bitch girlfriend (demorats) her heroin addiction to spending.. then when properly affixed to the nipple of gov to get back all the years and money they stole from me at the point of gun.. yeah we are big and fond on them boom makers here.. but only then will I cash those invites to the upside down part of this marble. its only fitting that all things are backassward there including traversing the wrong side of the road. whats up with that? or is it down with that? poncho

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
That's about the same time and distance as the ride from home to Darwin and back to Warren on the Valkyrie.
Question for you Ox: why you gonna take the 650 across Australia next month when you've got the Valkyrie? One seems purpose-built for those sort of shenanigans, the other not so much (?)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts