Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having only had my Valkyrie for a week I'm still experimenting with different techniques to minimise the first to second gear clunk. Would appreciate any tips. I've read posts by guys who say they just avoid first and always start in second. Yes, I could do that but the "stubborn" in me would still like to master this shift :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Preload the shifter is my tip. Apply a little bit of upward pressure before touching the clutch and just keep that same pressure during the shift. It just snicks into second that way, no clunk.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Preload the shifter is my tip. Apply a little bit of upward pressure before touching the clutch and just keep that same pressure during the shift. It just snicks into second that way, no clunk.
Yep, thanks for that. I think that's as good as it can get. I'm still trying to get rid of even the "snick" … ie like you can achieve in all the other upshifts if you get everything right…just a completely noiseless, notchless shift. Probably a big ask to try and get it from first to second though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think all my bikes have a 1st to 2nd "clunk". Or at least youll feel a longer throw to 2nd with a slight clunk. My Valk has it.But if I was to gripe any about the gl1800c gear box it would be how short 1st gear is. My first ride out the lot I spun the rear onto the street. However it was also a sign I got the right bike.. 😆😆😆

·
Registered
497 Posts
I do first to second because I paid all that money so I am going to use it but the thing will not even care slightly less if you start in second. 1st gear is for pulling Goldwings with trailers or towing a car.

Anyway on mine I have found it much prefers not to have the clutch pulled in all the way when doing such things.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubbo View Post
Anyway on mine I have found it much prefers not to have the clutch pulled in all the way when doing such things.
Yeah, same. And on my previous bike too (Suzuki Boulevard 800). Go figure...

Ditto. And I use the same technique for all other upshifts (mild upward toe pressure to "preload" while pulling the clutch in smoothly, but not all the way, until you snick it in). You also get the pleasurable feeling of "doing it right" in the mechanical interaction, much like a perfect heel-toe technique in a sports car while shifting and braking.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"...much like a perfect heel-toe technique in a sports car while shifting and braking."

Or double-clutching in an old truck :) You're right - the pleasure of "doing it right" by the bike (mechanical empathy) is superb. That's what I try to do with every action on every ride. Great feeling. And good for your bike's longevity no doubt!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yeah mine seems to love synthetic. Not so much difference at the start (not that I can tell) but near the end of the oil life the shifting is significantly smoother.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FWIW….I finally settled on the simultaneous clutch pull, flick of the throttle, gear change…. ie exactly as I do it in all the other upshifts. For some reason I was treating first to second differently. The only condition though is to do it soon after taking off…ie low revs, low ground speed. Achieving the same at high revs / high ground speed in first….now that's still a work in progress :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
eah mine seems to love synthetic. Not so much difference at the start (not that I can tell) but near the end of the oil life the shifting is significantly smoother.
Funny you should post this. I was out tonight thinking it’s almost time for an oil change AND, wow it’s shifting great. I guess there could be something to that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Funny you should post this. I was out tonight thinking it’s almost time for an oil change AND, wow it’s shifting great. I guess there could be something to that.

Yeah I think I have done 3 changes now will much more expensive synthetic and probably more on the Honda recommended stuff before that and I won't go back. I don't know about all the stuff that actually goes on in there but to me if it is shifting noticeably better at the end of its life then it is worth the money.

·
Registered
276 Posts
...but the thing will not even care slightly less if you start in second. 1st gear is for pulling Goldwings with trailers or towing a car.
or riding two up and starting on an uphill slope, or walking it into a parking space... reminds me of 1st gear on a pickup. And shifting from 1st to second seems to give a very short duration for both first and second gear. So I've only had this bike a couple of weekends, but I'm currently trying to break the habit of shifting to 1st when the streetlight turns green. I also find myself on spirited takeoffs in 2nd gear, letting off the throttle at the end of 2nd and shifting to 5th. Amazing machine.:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think my clutch is engaging much too soon. I have two other Hondas and my Valkyrie engages about 30% sooner. Are your Val's set like this. I think my clutch needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, mine too. I think it's just how they are. You do get used to it although the Valkyrie is my only bike so I'm not regularly swapping between different clutches as you are.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks, but I think it needs to be adjusted. I was hoping someone had a dealer check this. If the clutch isn't completely disengaged the plates wear and get hot. Possibly increase 1-2 clunk.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's back. Parked my Val for a week and my clutch engages about an inch from the grip. Throws off my shift timing and I can feel it shift into gear hard sometimes. I'm taking it to another dealer Tuesday. Maybe they have a mechanic that doesn't......
See no,
Hear no,
Speak.....
I'm going to make Honda fix it even if I have to pay.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts