Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a beautiful blue 2014 Goldwing Valkyrie and it's been with me for almost 3 years. Awesome bike! Have 22k miles on it.. Drove from Nevada to Virginia 2 years ago, no issues what so ever. Just recently, it's turning over, but not starting on a weekly basis. Just had my servicing, everything checked out fine. I was told that the Valkyries have an issue with the Kill Switch and starter. Anyone out there had this same issue?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a similar problem. Both the kill switch and my high beams are touchy - particularly after I wash it. I could tap the kill switch and it would kill the engine. Thus, though not pleased, I permanently leave it on the run position, and kill it with the key.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do you have the original battery? A poorly performing battery can cause all kinds of gremlins. A load test would be a good start.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Endorsing the answer from dyou36. Get some contact cleaner with a spray straw and spray inside the switches and then immediately work them back and forth. I've heard from numerous Honda owners that they sometimes find they have to mash the kill switch down and sort of rub it around to get a good contact until they can take it apart and clean it. I just spray mine, and same for the ignition key hole and maybe some dry lube (see recent string for "Key won't turn"). Let us know if that works for you feedback is important!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Endorsing the answer from dyou36. Get some contact cleaner with a spray straw and spray inside the switches and then immediately work them back and forth. I've heard from numerous Honda owners that they sometimes find they have to mash the kill switch down and sort of rub it around to get a good contact until they can take it apart and clean it. I just spray mine, and same for the ignition key hole and maybe some dry lube (see recent string for "Key won't turn"). Let us know if that works for you feedback is important!
I just read on the GoldWing Maintenance site, to also spray the contact cleaner into the starter switch ! Cheap and easy preventive maintenance !!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do you have the original battery? A poorly performing battery can cause all kinds of gremlins. A load test would be a good start.
Bingo.. Likely the battery. Only time I ever had a starting issue was when the battery was about to quit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts