Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to replace the leds in the speedo? I don't know if it's sun fade or what but mine are really in daylight now, even at maximum brightness.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I don't see a way to edit my own posts but wanted to clarify, it's lcd not led. Has anyone modded their speedo in any way to make it briighter?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well I don't see a way to edit my own posts but wanted to clarify, it's lcd not led. Has anyone modded their speedo in any way to make it briighter?
Do you mean beyond the brightest level in the display settings? If you have tried that, it's in the manual, and on this site, try searching display. I have mine on brightest level and haven't had a problem in bright desert sun.:nerd:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Turboyoshi: I had the exact same problem and it was very frustrating. Then I noticed that I was having the same problem with my car. I could see the needles as they swept by on the speedo and tach, but I couldn't get the digital speed number bright enough to know exactly how fast I was going. Then I had cataract surgery on both eyes this month. Problem solved!!! Don't know that it was the cheapest way to go, but it's great to see stuff again! Had no idea my problem was as severe as it actually was. I don't know how old you are (I'm 69) or how your vision checks out, but I was stunned at what I've been missing. I don't think there is probably any way to realistically "brighten" an LCD. They are either "on" or "off". I had been wondering, prior to the surgeries, if I could fashion a black plastic "hood" or sun-shield for my tach/speedo on the bike, but never actually tried to make anything. Might be something to think about? Good luck!

·
Registered
360 Posts
... They are either "on" or "off". I had been wondering, prior to the surgeries, if I could fashion a black plastic "hood" or sun-shield for my tach/speedo on the bike, but never actually tried to make anything. Might be something to think about? Good luck!
There are 5 brightness levels in the settings! Glad you were able to repair your vision so easily, now you might want to skim through that owners manual again 🤣

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean beyond the brightest level in the display settings? If you have tried that, it's in the manual, and on this site, try searching display. I have mine on brightest level and haven't had a problem in bright desert sun.:nerd:
Yep I have had it on the brightest setting since day 1. Bought this bike in 2016, it's my only ride so it's outside, in the GA sun, a lot. Didn't have any trouble reading the speedo when I first got it, but now, I can only read it at night.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turboyoshi: I had the exact same problem and it was very frustrating. Then I noticed that I was having the same problem with my car. I could see the needles as they swept by on the speedo and tach, but I couldn't get the digital speed number bright enough to know exactly how fast I was going. Then I had cataract surgery on both eyes this month. Problem solved!!! Don't know that it was the cheapest way to go, but it's great to see stuff again! Had no idea my problem was as severe as it actually was. I don't know how old you are (I'm 69) or how your vision checks out, but I was stunned at what I've been missing. I don't think there is probably any way to realistically "brighten" an LCD. They are either "on" or "off". I had been wondering, prior to the surgeries, if I could fashion a black plastic "hood" or sun-shield for my tach/speedo on the bike, but never actually tried to make anything. Might be something to think about? Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I'm 52, had my vision checked a few months ago, needed a new contacts scrip but don't have cataracts (yet). I saw a new OEM lcd board cost around $700 so will definitely be checking out other options. Or just say screw it, I don't really need to know how fast I'm going anyway, right? :p ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
There are 5 brightness levels in the settings! Glad you were able to repair your vision so easily, now you might want to skim through that owners manual again 🤣
I know that there are five levels of brightness, Buster, but it's all in the eyes of the beholder. (Pun intended.) I've had mine on the brightest of the five settings since Day One, have customized the various welcome screens, and had memorized the manual before I was first able to ride the thing as mine was delivered in the dead of winter years ago. (Admittedly, I used $10 Wal-Mart "cheaters" to read the manual at the time, so may have missed something. :) ) Seriously though, I could not see well enough to read my Valkyrie dashboard any more than I was able to see the dashboard digital readouts on my SL500. I finally came to the conclusion that "It's the eyes, Stupid!", not the fault of the manufacturers.

I don't want to hijack this thread with cataract surgery information, but may start one with info that would interest anyone in my situation. There is a new lens available now, that had been used in Europe for the past six years, that was only approved by the FDA (last November) for use in the USA. It's like the difference from bias-ply tires to radials. Amazing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 2014 F6C dash still works very well. Pre cataract and post cataract surgery. I run mine in position 3 since i found #5 too bright for nighttime. Works well in daytime also. Was hesitent about this dash when i bought the bike after experiencing poor quality on older motorcycles. However i find this one outstanding. Also the digital speedo is something i appreciate also. Same on my Honda Ridgeline.

Reactions: Farther
1 - 9 of 9 Posts