Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie 1500C
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the shop replaced the fork seals on my ‘98 Val they said the speedometer gears melted. They replaced the plastic gears lubed them and replaced the cable. How does that even play into a fork seal job? Anyone have any ideas on this?

·
Super Moderator
927 Posts
After the shop replaced the fork seals on my ‘98 Val they said the speedometer gears melted. They replaced the plastic gears lubed them and replaced the cable. How does that even play into a fork seal job? Anyone have any ideas on this?
Now that's a question for the ages. They were working fine when you took it in, I assume, so how did they manage to melt the speedo gears in the process of changing fork seals? "That ain't right."

Richmonder

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think this is the perfect example of an earlier discussion on here regarding why shops do not work on bikes that are x-number of years old (or older)
Stuff just happens, things break, especially on older bikes (and often the shops get blamed for it)

There is little reason to believe that the shop took a torch to the speedo gears and melted them just so they can replace them. However, working on the front end of the bike (removing forks for fork seal replacement) also means that they will take a look at the front cables, the things they are connected to and discovered by coincidence that something else has gone awry. Or they decided to break things, or something else in between (maybe nothing was wrong?). Its your choice in what you believe, given the particular circumstances, and people you're dealing with.
This is why if you are going to own and ride an older bike, its a good idea to either get to be a gear head yourself, or have a very trusted gear head that is willing to do the work for you.

Tazmool

·
Registered
42 Posts
The speed sensor on newer bikes is electronic and it read the spin of the front wheel.

Older bikes like one I have can have a cable that runs to a tiny gear thats near the wheel and it spins with the wheel. This in turn, turns a cable that run up into the back of a speedometer and that moves the needle.

They can spin very fast and the lube inside can dry out, overheating and melting it.

Had this happen on a 1975 CB550 Supersport I restored.

So if they were removing the Forks they would most likely have to remove the front wheel, brakes etc including disconnecting or laying to the side that component. Redo the forks and put it back.

They may have noticed it. If i did, i would definitly at least lett the owner.

Usually not hard to replace.
Product Font Tool Automotive lighting Line

·
Registered
42 Posts
On older Valks i dont know and I have not had to dig into my 2014. My assessment was based on other bike models i had. obviously if its nowhere near where they are working I would wonder why they were messing with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts