Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its probably been discussed before but the transmission on these things sure is a little clunky.

I think previous owner had Mobil 1 oil in it and it was ok. I decided to do an oil change on it , I like to do it anytime I get a new to me motorcycle anyways. I went with Lucas 10w30 motorcycle oil. It was recommended by a couple folks and I don't know.. i can say it didn't make anything smoother but I can tell you it didn't make it any better vs the Mobil 1. Next oil change I'll try throwing some of the expensive stuff at it, Amsoil.

Not complaining at all here. I'm just wondering if there's any specific oil these bike prefer to run as smooth as possible. My previous bike was a 2006 shadow and that was fairly clunky as well. I hate to compare to a Harley but when I rented a 2021 street glide the transmission was silky smooth on that thing but the Valkyrie still beats it in engine smoothness and power. I don't think Hondas really had really smooth shifting cruiser motorcycles. Obviously the new DCT are probably buttery smooth.

I even had an incident recently where I dropped down to 4th gear from 5th at a fairly high rpm, I probably didn't shift down hard enough with my foot and it slipped out of 4th and was clunking around for a second , didn't know which gear it was in... If I shift hard into every gear I never have a problem but it's still not the smoothest.

As mentioned , I'll try some Amsoil next time and keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello, I did Lucas oil full synthetic and it was night and day in term of the loud noise. However, the transmission is just bad on this bike. Extremely clunky. I’ve thought about selling the bike just because of that. I’ve had a bunch of bikes in the past 20 years and the valk transmission is the worst by far.

agree good power, not smooth at all. You kinda get used to it thou.

cheers

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm probably not going to get much agreement, but I think the Valkyrie tranny is pretty strong and feels it (to me). I had to ride it awhile before I felt comfortable with the gear-changes, in both up and down-shifts, but eventually found I could rely on it and the shifts felt secure, at least on my bike. I've had many bikes by many makes, and they all had their idiosyncrasies, some more fragile-feeling or notchy or sloppy than others, but I'm not concerned with how my '14 shifts. I preload just a bit and that seems to make things a little smoother. I almost liken it to having to have the extra finesse to smoothly shift straight-cut gears or having an extra-beefy, double-clutch-worthy ("rock-crusher") transmission in a sports car that actually requires some skill to drive, and I enjoy this characteristic. I like mechanical things to feel mechanical, and it makes me pay attention. It's part of what makes me connect with bikes like this on that visceral level. And I have to laugh at myself when I re-read this, as this is truly a sophisticated machine and not on any kind of cruder level, including the transmission. IMHO.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know its probably been discussed before but the transmission on these things sure is a little clunky.

I think previous owner had Mobil 1 oil in it and it was ok. I decided to do an oil change on it , I like to do it anytime I get a new to me motorcycle anyways. I went with Lucas 10w30 motorcycle oil. It was recommended by a couple folks and I don't know.. i can say it didn't make anything smoother but I can tell you it didn't make it any better vs the Mobil 1. Next oil change I'll try throwing some of the expensive stuff at it, Amsoil.

Not complaining at all here. I'm just wondering if there's any specific oil these bike prefer to run as smooth as possible. My previous bike was a 2006 shadow and that was fairly clunky as well. I hate to compare to a Harley but when I rented a 2021 street glide the transmission was silky smooth on that thing but the Valkyrie still beats it in engine smoothness and power. I don't think Hondas really had really smooth shifting cruiser motorcycles. Obviously the new DCT are probably buttery smooth.

I even had an incident recently where I dropped down to 4th gear from 5th at a fairly high rpm, I probably didn't shift down hard enough with my foot and it slipped out of 4th and was clunking around for a second , didn't know which gear it was in... If I shift hard into every gear I never have a problem but it's still not the smoothest.

As mentioned , I'll try some Amsoil next time and keep you guys posted.
I am running Lucas full synthetic in my Valk as well as it seemed to help the shifting.

·
Registered
898 Posts
It’s not the transmission it’s the user. I don’t know how many vlogs I’ve watched of guys on Valkyries who are too slow in their shifting and you can hear the thing clunking away as they talk, seemingly oblivious to what they’re doing - or not doing in this case. You have to really flick that right wrist and do the whole shift in a fraction of a second. When you’re doing it right this transmission is superb - seamless and silent. After four years riding this bike I’m still working on it but its night and day between what I was at first and how I am now. The right wrist is the key here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are rare occasions it works well. Most of the time it doesn’t. Transmission in this bike is an afterthought. Should have had 6 gears or have a much longer 1st gear. Feels like you have to shift at 5 mph when coming off a stop light and turning. And at 65 mph the bike is already revving to much for my taste for a cruiser.

Never had a problem shifting on my previous 5 bikes, never had to look around for different oils to make it work better. The amount of threads and comments on this topic is not due to lack of experience shifting. It’s just a bad transmission design.

It’s not the transmission it’s the user. I don’t know how many vlogs I’ve watched of guys on Valkyries who are too slow in their shifting and you can hear the thing clunking away as they talk, seemingly oblivious to what they’re doing - or not doing in this case. You have to really flick that right wrist and do the whole shift in a fraction of a second. When you’re doing it right this transmission is superb - seamless and silent. After four years riding this bike I’m still working on it but its night and day between what I was at first and how I am now. The right wrist is the key here.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Never had a problem shifting on my previous 5 bikes, never had to look around for different oils to make it work better. The amount of threads and comments on this topic is not due to lack of experience shifting. It’s just a bad transmission design.
Are you sure? I know what you are talking about with the slipping out of gear, it happens to me too when I am hesitant and didnt get it all the way in, and it also happened before I adjusted the shift lever because I was sometimes brushing it with my foot accidently. But as long as I shift decisively this bike seems to love it.

I have gotten very proficient at clutchless upshifts on this bike, and am starting to work on clutchless downshifts, none of it seems to be an issue.

It still has the oil I purchased it with, so I dont know what that is, but it is about time to change it and I have heard things about Honda GN4, so that is what is going into it.

I do agree the gearing isn't right, the gearing 100% should have been higher from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
927 Posts
I've always thought the Valk transmission was clunky sounding, but then MANY bikes are like that, so I just came to accept that "that's just the way it is".

Richmonder

·
Super Moderator
927 Posts
Nope, it ‘ain’t. It is definitely possible to go through the gears with no noise or clunk whatsoever. Those who say you can’t just haven’t figured out how yet.
I'll have to respectfully disagree. I've owned a lot of bikes over the years and have always used the same technique to shift, and some were simply much smoother than others. My VTX 1300 and 1800 are both clunky shifters. My CTX 1300 is quite smooth. I had a V45 Magna that was very smooth. My Kawasaki 650 was smooth shifting. My technique hasn't changed between bikes. So the only difference then, is the bike.

It's not the one doing the shifting, it's the machine.

Richmonder

·
Registered
185 Posts
My Ducati shifts like butter, my Softail shifts like a tank, the Valk is somewhere in between. If you have to talk about practice shifting, you already lost the argument.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'll have to respectfully disagree. I've owned a lot of bikes over the years and have always used the same technique to shift, and some were simply much smoother than others. My VTX 1300 and 1800 are both clunky shifters. My CTX 1300 is quite smooth. I had a V45 Magna that was very smooth. My Kawasaki 650 was smooth shifting. My technique hasn't changed between bikes. So the only difference then, is the bike.

It's not the one doing the shifting, it's the machine.

Richmonder
Likewise, respectfully engaging in the conversation, not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing. I highlighted your sentence, above, Richmonder, to simply make this point: There are a differences between bikes. Just because you have mastered a particular shifting technique that has worked successfully for you with many different bikes, doesn't mean that some bikes don't prefer/demand a different technique to shift the most efficiently/smoothly that they can. I have found this to definitely be true with the many manual cars I've had, most high performance in one fashion or another, but you find that some cars (and bikes) simply have different rhythms than others. It's sometimes not a bad transmission, nor bad technique that causes awkward/clunky shifts, it's the marriage of a particular technique to a specific bike/car that just doesn't seem to have the right "chemistry" that makes you feel uncomfortable with it. Just like most other relationships!

·
Registered
15 Posts
When you can shift effortlessly on many different bikes over years of riding and all of a sudden have trouble achieving it on this bike, I wouldn’t say it’s a user problem. Certainly an inferior design resulting in a frustrating issue for most. Coming from a cbr600, vfr800, vtx1800 all Honda bikes I would have expected same or better experience on a newer Honda bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts