Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The two Virginia boys on this board, RRoy and myself, just got back from a 2-day ride through Shenandoah National Park, up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive to Front Royal, VA and back. We had perfect weather, beautiful scenery and great companionship. Took off from Richmond at 8:00 Thursday morning and headed out to the mountains, spent the night in Front Royal and returned Friday night. We both came back weary but exhilarated. Saw only five deer, and one big snake. And our first Brood X cicada sighting of the year. The bikes performed perfectly in the twisties and on the interstate. I have to say I wasn't crazy about the tall windshield when I bought my bike and was seriously looking at a shorty, but now I am very glad I have it. We both got covered with bugs and our bikes need a good detailing, even after the one I gave it Thursday night after our first day. Rick was calling me the Shamwow guy! As the Beatles said, I like to keep my fire engine clean.

We had a relaxing evening Thursday just sitting around talking on the hotel patio. No matter what differences people may have, two Valkyrie riders have enough in common to enjoy hanging out. Our butts and backs (well - MY back - Rick has the driver backrest and highway pegs) were pretty sore Thursday night. And I have to say, Rick was a great riding companion. He always alerted me of debris in the road or let me know if I left my signal on, etc. A very alert and professional rider. A big thanks for that!

I was filming the ride with my helmet-mounted GoPro, and just as I feared, the mount came off mid-ride as the adhesive failed. So I HOPE I have some footage for YouTube, but we'll see. Talk about upsetting.

Going to try to post a bunch of photos. Sure enjoyed the trip, Rick, and hope to see you again soon. I'm recuperating this weekend with serious sleep and a lot of rest. Maybe a few beers!

(I managed to post the images twice. I can't figure out how to remove the 2nd batch without losing the first.)

Richmonder
Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle
Plant Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Sky
Plant Leaf Infrastructure Road surface Asphalt
Tire Vehicle Wheel Plant Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Fuel tank
Wheel Sky Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Cloud Sky Helmet Plant Mountain

Richmonder

·
Registered
531 Posts
Looking good, sounds like a great ride and good timing. I hear the Blue Ridge Parkway will closing at certain areas throughout Virginia for about a year starting tomorrow?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Looks like RRoy has the same LED brake light added under the rear rack. Same location I chose, works well. A pair of Valkyries look good together. Draw any comments at stops?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We had a couple people say "nice bikes", but no one said anyting specific about the Valkyries. I think unless you know the model, it would never occur to anyone how rare a sighting it was, even for a fellow motorcyclist.

Hadn't heard about the BRP closing. I was thinking while I was there that the road must be maintained on occasion and it would really slow things down, if not shut it down, sometimes. Glad that didn't affect us!

Richmonder

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
That looks like a great ride! How'd the Air Hawk work? You guys make me jealous. It's been cold, windy and rainy here all week. My wife doesn't want to plant her flowers because the lows are in the 20F/-6C. Blue Ridge Mountains look spectacular. The bikes look great too! Looks like Rick has new tires. Any idea how many miles you guys clocked? Safe riding!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We clocked about 400 or so miles from Richmond to Front Royal and back. Rick had an extra 100 or so in both directions from Virginia Beach to Richmond and back. I didn't keep close track but maybe Rick can give a better accounting. Rick was indeed riding on new tires, and mine are the original stock tires with only 1600 miles on them. As to the Air Hawk - I found myself questioning whether it improved the ride or made things worse. Everyone complains about the stock seat so I took the Air Hawk off my CTX and put it on to try it out. It adds a bit of seat height, which is fine, and I suppose some extra cushion. But after many hours in the saddle, my crotch was getting sore and I occasionally had to stand up to take the pressure off. I'm not sure if the stock seat would be any better, or if the AirHawk caused me to be angled more so the weight was more directly on my crotch. I'll have to try without it and see how that feels. I noticed you had one on yours. I've also seen gel pads at Cycle Gear and wondered about them. I also have a sore spot on my forehead because my helmet is just a shade too tight.

And while you may be jealous of our weather, you certainly have nothing to be jealous about when it comes to scenic views! I love Colorado!

Richmonder

Reactions: RRoy

·
Registered
107 Posts
We clocked about 400 or so miles from Richmond to Front Royal and back. Rick had an extra 100 or so in both directions from Virginia Beach to Richmond and back. I didn't keep close track but maybe Rick can give a better accounting. Rick was indeed riding on new tires, and mine are the original stock tires with only 1600 miles on them. As to the Air Hawk - I found myself questioning whether it improved the ride or made things worse. Everyone complains about the stock seat so I took the Air Hawk off my CTX and put it on to try it out. It adds a bit of seat height, which is fine, and I suppose some extra cushion. But after many hours in the saddle, my crotch was getting sore and I occasionally had to stand up to take the pressure off. I'm not sure if the stock seat would be any better, or if the AirHawk caused me to be angled more so the weight was more directly on my crotch. I'll have to try without it and see how that feels. I noticed you had one on yours. I've also seen gel pads at Cycle Gear and wondered about them. I also have a sore spot on my forehead because my helmet is just a shade too tight.

And while you may be jealous of our weather, you certainly have nothing to be jealous about when it comes to scenic views! I love Colorado!

Richmonder
I clocked 730 miles round trip. I think we probably did around 500 miles if I had to guess.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That looks like a great ride! How'd the Air Hawk work? You guys make me jealous. It's been cold, windy and rainy here all week. My wife doesn't want to plant her flowers because the lows are in the 20F/-6C. Blue Ridge Mountains look spectacular. The bikes look great too! Looks like Rick has new tires. Any idea how many miles you guys clocked? Safe riding!
They are new tires, I am running an Avon Cobra up front and an Avon Spirit in the rear. I have gotten great service from Avon in years past and the new rubber makes the bike transition so much quicker than stock with better grip.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looking good, sounds like a great ride and good timing. I hear the Blue Ridge Parkway will closing at certain areas throughout Virginia for about a year starting tomorrow?
Looks like you are right, there is a section that is going to be closed around Roanoke till next year. I am sure there is a detour to get around it since 81 runs along side of the Blue Ridge. Every year I usually encounter repair trucks on the mountain fixing something. Another section of Blue Ridge Parkway closed until 2022 for repairs

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
The two Virginia boys on this board, RRoy and myself, just got back from a 2-day ride through Shenandoah National Park, up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive to Front Royal, VA and back. We had perfect weather, beautiful scenery and great companionship. Took off from Richmond at 8:00 Thursday morning and headed out to the mountains, spent the night in Front Royal and returned Friday night. We both came back weary but exhilarated. Saw only five deer, and one big snake. And our first Brood X cicada sighting of the year. The bikes performed perfectly in the twisties and on the interstate. I have to say I wasn't crazy about the tall windshield when I bought my bike and was seriously looking at a shorty, but now I am very glad I have it. We both got covered with bugs and our bikes need a good detailing, even after the one I gave it Thursday night after our first day. Rick was calling me the Shamwow guy! As the Beatles said, I like to keep my fire engine clean.

We had a relaxing evening Thursday just sitting around talking on the hotel patio. No matter what differences people may have, two Valkyrie riders have enough in common to enjoy hanging out. Our butts and backs (well - MY back - Rick has the driver backrest and highway pegs) were pretty sore Thursday night. And I have to say, Rick was a great riding companion. He always alerted me of debris in the road or let me know if I left my signal on, etc. A very alert and professional rider. A big thanks for that!

I was filming the ride with my helmet-mounted GoPro, and just as I feared, the mount came off mid-ride as the adhesive failed. So I HOPE I have some footage for YouTube, but we'll see. Talk about upsetting.

Going to try to post a bunch of photos. Sure enjoyed the trip, Rick, and hope to see you again soon. I'm recuperating this weekend with serious sleep and a lot of rest. Maybe a few beers!

(I managed to post the images twice. I can't figure out how to remove the 2nd batch without losing the first.)

Richmonder View attachment 12443 View attachment 12444 View attachment 12445 View attachment 12446 View attachment 12447 View attachment 12448 View attachment 12449 View attachment 12450 View attachment 12451

Richmonder View attachment 12443 View attachment 12444 View attachment 12445 View attachment 12446 View attachment 12447 View attachment 12448 View attachment 12449 View attachment 12450 View attachment 12451
Ohh Man, I'm sooooo jealous!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts