Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Valkyrie service manual is around $50, which is a lot of money.

But I have to admit that it is well worth the price and it is fascinating to read.

I wish they had a PDF version that I could put on my iPad but I suppose that would lead to people giving the PDF away. I can't picture anyone scanning in a whole book, but I have seen a CBR1000RR service manual that was scanned from the book. (It was a big file!)

Anyways, most of the book has stuff you (hopefully) will never need, but the sections on wiring locations and routing, maintenance tasks and stuff like that are really helpful. The maintenance section goes into a lot more detail than the owner's manual.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product...from=result&Style=helm&Sku=61MJR00&itemtype=N

If you have a very specific question about something from the service manual I am willing to look it up for you, but I have no intention of doing a lot of work or "stealing" from the people who make the manual.

An example might be:

Question: What is the alternator output?
Answer: 1.2kW at 5000RPM

(That's 1200 watts! And with all of the lights being LED, there is a lot of room for electrical accessories. Basically it is the same alternator that a Gold Wing has.)

·
Registered
214 Posts
^ Yup.

Usually you can find them online for cheap, which to me $30-40 is cheap, at least applying what you learn, you can make back your money on the first job you do.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those manuals are "pirated" copies of the real Helm manual. I have been told they are very high quality and even include the colored fold out electrical diagrams.

However, the OEM manual is only a few dollars more and it is the "right thing to do".

Ethical "dilemmas" like the situation here tell others a great deal about our character. (IMO)

YMMV.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Who are you to question my character? Maybe you think that you are with the manual police? For your information I was not aware that these were pirated. I didn't ask your opinion. I'm on quite a few forums and there is always at least one righteous jerk. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gold Star,
Thanks for the link to Service Manuel.
I just ordered on.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm to opposite. Apparently my poor lack of character makes me feel bad if I don't get a pirated copy for cheap. Paying full price for something I can get for less or free is against my moral code.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Got my Service Manual today Jan 25 th $ 52.00
Took 7 days to get here
Not bad

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hopefully "some mysterious stranger" will make good copies of the wiring diagram pictures. That seems to be my main area of concern.

·
Registered
374 Posts
That's odd that it states it's the last copy? If it's a PDF there should never be a last copy it's only a file, unless it is a copy right issue.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's odd that it states it's the last copy? If it's a PDF there should never be a last copy it's only a file, unless it is a copy right issue.
Well he sold 1 in the last 24 hours and still has it listed as the last one so, either marketing ploy hoping people feel a sense of urgency to buy because it's "the last one", or he's not good with english and is just trying to be clear that you are buying a single unit for that price. As far as copyright goes, it's almost certainly illegal, unless everyone buying the pdf already owns a physical copy and just wants a digital one for backup purposes.
I don't think Honda even sells digital copies of their manuals, at least I couldn't find any on their site.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went over to the helm site and noticed that they have a reproduction of the owner's manual for $17.95 and the service manual for $89.95.

I assume this means Helm developed the content for the service manual. It must take a huge amount of time and effort to gather all that information, so $89.95 seems reasonable to me.

But I bought mine off of ebay for much less. I don't see how you would know if you were buying a pirated copy or a used Helm copy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts