Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a " want to buy" and listed a few items that I genuinely wanted to buy, one user was genuine and offered me an item and that transaction went pretty smooth, another user DM'd me saying someone he knows has a driver backrest to sell and provided me with an email address. I'm usually very cautious dealing with internet strangers but then this was within a trusted forum and hence I didn't even have a speck of doubt, all the more since I just completed a legit one.
Sad to say, I got scammed and lost some money, the scamster even stole pics from Big Smitty's ad for his Corbin seat, I realized that too late when I was doing my rounds of investigation.
The only intent of this post is to make other forum members aware of predators lurking in this forum as well, so please DO NOT trust anyone and everyone, old school due diligence pays off for sure, and DO NOT make online payments for stuff unless you fully vet the person.
I learned a costly lesson, feeling a little bummed, but it is what it is, I intend to report this to the FBI through the available resources and I hope and pray that other innocent people don't fall prey. God Bless!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Never go "Gift" on Paypal....

·
Registered
263 Posts
I posted a " want to buy" and listed a few items that I genuinely wanted to buy, one user was genuine and offered me an item and that transaction went pretty smooth, another user DM'd me saying someone he knows has a driver backrest to sell and provided me with an email address. I'm usually very cautious dealing with internet strangers but then this was within a trusted forum and hence I didn't even have a speck of doubt, all the more since I just completed a legit one.
Sad to say, I got scammed and lost some money, the scamster even stole pics from Big Smitty's ad for his Corbin seat, I realized that too late when I was doing my rounds of investigation.
The only intent of this post is to make other forum members aware of predators lurking in this forum as well, so please DO NOT trust anyone and everyone, old school due diligence pays off for sure, and DO NOT make online payments for stuff unless you fully vet the person.
I learned a costly lesson, feeling a little bummed, but it is what it is, I intend to report this to the FBI through the available resources and I hope and pray that other innocent people don't fall prey. God Bless!
I just wanted to take the time to thank you, Ashram, for taking the time to let us all know what you went through, even if you felt a bit embarrassed. It's easy to feel comradery here and others can and will take advantage of you for it. It would be easy to beat yourself up a bit for it, but you learned something, shared something, and hopefully can shrug it off, no matter how POed you probably feel. That person who stole from you cannot steal another moment of your mental energy unless you want to. Thanks again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Because if you go "gift" your money sent isn't protected by Paypal. You're GIVING THE MONEY AS A GIFT. If you go purchase you pay a fee. That "fee" is a service protecting purchases. It's why you link an email and a money account. If someone tries ripping you off and it's reported they basically freeze their account and return your money. I had a guy pull some crap on me and made a claim. They froze his account. Soon I got an email asking me to report to Paypal (and ebay at the time) the issue was resolved as he refunded my money. I waited for the return to clear and reported it resolved.

Reactions: Farther

·
Registered
670 Posts
That is infuriating. I think you kind of have to vet who you're dealing with by their presence on the forum. Do they post regularly or is it someone who joined and has no posts, or none of any substance. We want to trust forum members since we're kind of a club, so there is some expectation of legitimacy. I hope you reported the situation to the board moderator to deal with the supposed legit member for giving you a fake referral.

Thanks for sharing this, however embarrassing it might be. Lesson learned. Only deal with the actual member, and then make sure the member has some cred based on posting activity.

Richmonder

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sorry to hear this Ashram, Appreciate the heads up.
Not to take away from your post, I've had all positive experiences here both buying and selling. Met some solid folks here. I'm a little too trustworthy until given a reason not to be. Hopefully I can learn from your reason.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear this Ashram, Appreciate the heads up.
Not to take away from your post, I've had all positive experiences here both buying and selling. Met some solid folks here. I'm a little too trustworthy until given a reason not to be. Hopefully I can learn from your reason.
absolutely - this is the nicest bunch of people I have ever been acquainted with - online that is , happy to inform that Mike the Mod ( i like the ring to his name ) , was able to expel the bad apple here , so we should be good.thanks everyone for your goodwill replies.My bank said they might be able to compensate me after they do an investigation , i raised a dispute yesterday.

·
Registered
531 Posts
absolutely - this is the nicest bunch of people I have ever been acquainted with - online that is , happy to inform that Mike the Mod ( i like the ring to his name ) , was able to expel the bad apple here , so we should be good.thanks everyone for your goodwill replies.My bank said they might be able to compensate me after they do an investigation , i raised a dispute yesterday.
Best of luck with the investigation and compensation.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. It is sometimes a leap of faith buying from others through email on these sites but I have found that people that ride really nice bikes have money and the didn't get it by stealing from others. I have done several deals like yours where I sent a cashiers check and the items were sent to promptly when my check arrived. I sent one large cashiers check for a custom Corbin seat some months back and the bank cashier asked me "what it was for" and when I told her she was shocked I would send that much money to someone I didn't know and I told her if the person screwed me then God help them because I believe in what goes around comes around and you can call it Karma or God's vengenence on a cheat but life has a way of getting even. I am convinced when one is a liar and a cheat it will come back to bite them in the A$$ ten fold one way or another. Like the old saying goes “Though the mills of God grind slowly, yet they grind exceeding small; Though with patience he stands waiting, with exactness grinds he all.” by the 17th century poem, ‘Retribution,’ by Friedrich Von Logau. They will get theirs!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts