Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have mentioned this last year around this time, but here in SE Central IL the weather has been playing hacky-sack with us for way too long. Temp today reached upper 60's, but the storms have been ridiculously constant. NOT conducive to riding, especially with some of the high winds. Sunny days, (day?), have been cold and blustery. Was out in the four-wheel roadster today and pointed out (to my wife) how much sand was in all the intersections and turn lanes. I asked her if she STILL wanted to go riding at the first chance. Just as I asked her that, a HD rider blasted out of the BP gas station to my left to "merge" ahead of me. He accelerated a bit too much for the sand he encountered in the median turn lane and less-than-skillfully slid into our lane sooner than he had planned. After seeing that and the potential calamity that could have been, she said, "Let's just put the top down to enjoy the brief weather reprieve, wait for the street crews to get out and clean the streets, and THEN we'll ride." I agreed. I have taken the bike out a few times already w/o her, just to see what's up with the bike and to determine what it might need, and I think she thought I just wanted to ride alone. Not the case at all.
Anyway, All, just encouraging you to ride safe as many of us are feeling mighty pent up right now and might make bad decisions. Choose not to be that guy. Summer's comin'. God bless.

Registered
Good thought. Many of us have been chomping at the bit to get out there. Myself included. Only hit low 50's here in WNY with cool temps and some rain forecasted.馃槥 also with the Covid 19 social distancing not much traffic out there to blow the dust off the roads. Keep the shiny side up and enjoy it when you can. The rest of us will be out there soon.

Registered
The Washington, DC area is hit or miss for this problem. We have a lot of low areas that flood over just enough, so even though we didn't have a big salt/sand dump this winter, we'll get natural sand/gravel washed on to roads in some of my favorite places to ride. Also there's a million construction projects in the area and truck debris spills are almost a daily thing in some areas. Just sort of have to learn the roads and know where the trouble areas are.

I did recently discover on some back road riding, even just a few miles out from the White House there are still roads that will suddenly turn to gravel! A nice fun clenching moment when you have nowhere to go but through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts