Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
click here to skip intros 4:50

click here 馃憞馃徎馃憞馃徎馃憞馃徎馃憞馃徎馃憞馃徎

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Font

This is the Mesa Verde National Park. The cliff dwellings were pretty incredible to see. I saw them many years ago. The NPS has really done many improvements there.

Join me as I ride through the park to the Cliff Palace.

It's amazing.

Thanks,

Dan 馃槑

Super Moderator
Awesome place and video! Really enjoyed that.

Richmonder

Registered
Cool video. I visited last May and spent a few hours poking around the various ruins. The most interesting aspect for me, was the many smaller ruins spread around the park, where each has a sign explaining the time period and the architectural features, and then 1/4 mile down the park road there would be others from slightly earlier or later periods with the differences explained. For those interested in historical ruins like this, Hovenweep National Monument, a little further west, is another terrific one where you can walk around inside the structures. Warning - when the sign says "Open Range", they're not talking about an occasional cow or Buffalo like in Yellowstone - we a lot of that + a herd of wild horses! North from there right inside the town of Blanding, Utah, there's another set of ruins with a good-sized multi-story museum that shows their clothing, tools, etc. Fascinating stuff. Thanks for sharing, I had forgotten how awesome that park road was!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool video. I visited last May and spent a few hours poking around the various ruins. The most interesting aspect for me, was the many smaller ruins spread around the park, where each has a sign explaining the time period and the architectural features, and then 1/4 mile down the park road there would be others from slightly earlier or later periods with the differences explained. For those interested in historical ruins like this, Hovenweep National Monument, a little further west, is another terrific one where you can walk around inside the structures. Warning - when the sign says "Open Range", they're not talking about an occasional cow or Buffalo like in Yellowstone - we a lot of that + a herd of wild horses! North from there right inside the town of Blanding, Utah, there's another set of ruins with a good-sized multi-story museum that shows their clothing, tools, etc. Fascinating stuff. Thanks for sharing, I had forgotten how awesome that park road was!
Glad you liked it, Buster! Hovenweep was closed when I was there. They were doing a lot of road construction. This was the third day of my 800 mile adventure and I was looking forward to getting back on the road to try and make it home in one leg. I was almost at the furthest southwest point in the journey. I did make it home around 16:00.

Mesa Verde is quite the place. I can't imagine what it must've been like for the ancients, especially in the winter time. I know they get snow in the area, but it's pretty far south, so maybe not too bad. I was surprised in the change of elevation from Cortez to the Cliff Palace. For some reason, when I visited there when I was younger I remembered it being flatter.

Cool story about the herd of wild horses. What a place for them to live. Absolutely perfect.

Like a lot of places that get many tourists these days, you have to get a ticket or make a reservation to get the tour. I think I remember when I visited before you could just hike down to the Cliff Palace on your own. I see the need for curation in modern times though.

I read the story about Wetherill and a partner stumbling across Cliff Palace while herding cattle. I can't even imagine how that must've felt to be the first set of eyes on it after several hundred years.

The work the ancients must've done just to survive even on the mesa would have been incredible, but hauling everything they needed up and down the cliff faces had to be an extreme challenge. The two dwellings I pointed out in my video had to be at least 150 feet down from the rim or up a couple hundred feet up from the canyon floor.

Thanks for watching my video!

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts