Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good options for rear drop/crash protection? Or enhanced front protection?

I really want to work on my low speed stuff, but I would prefer not to destroy my corbin bags if I drop it in a low speed maneuver.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I considered the Corbin bags, they are beautiful.
The engine guards are quite tough and they were designed to withstand dropping a full dresser goldwing on them (approaching 200lbs heavier than the Valkyrie) so they should do the trick and don't look to be difficult to replace.

The goldwing does have optional rear mounted crash bars, would those bold up to the Valk? (I don't know)
Something along the lines of these: (these are a full set of front and rear crash bars)
Copart crash bars

The rear bars are there to protect the oem honda bags...

Tazmool

·
Registered
424 Posts
With highway pegs, I can set mine down without touching the Corbins, as long as momentum doesn't cause it to roll further up on the pegs. I was hit in a gas station parking lot and had to replace a highway peg, but was relieved that the Corbins were untouched. Geepers, Each Corbin bag has 5 nuts to remove in order to remove the bag from the bracket.

Reactions: Geepers

·
Registered
159 Posts
This may seem a tad simplistic....
But, maybe for when practicing/building skills on the Valk, remove the bags?
I know they're not easy to take on-off, but its free (adds no weight overall), and a time (few days, weeks) can be set aside to build skills and practice, remove then bags for that amount of time.

Tazmool

·
Registered
159 Posts
I will add that, as incredibly well balanced as the Valk is, mine did catch me a tad off guard a few days ago and I almost dropped it.
I almost missed the driveway I was going to pull into (saw it at the last second) so I was stopped on the gravel shoulder. The shoulder is already sloped away from the road. As I was backing up a little bit (trying to backup so I can turn into the driveway) the rear wheel butted up against the paved road surface, and tilted the bike away from the road. At that moment I was surprised how incredibly heavy the bike got all of a sudden as it tried to tip over onto its side. Luckily I muscled it back to the vertical, and just decided to ride down the shoulder, through the grass and onto the driveway. .....
Lesson learned though, the wonderful ballerina that the Valk is, she can get tippy and heavy very quickly!
I'd hate to be picking her up.
At least though, with the engine guards, she won't tip over all the way and lay flat on her side....

Tazmool

·
Registered
445 Posts
The engine guards are quite tough and they were designed to withstand dropping a full dresser goldwing on them (approaching 200lbs heavier than the Valkyrie) so they should do the trick and don't look to be difficult to replace.

The goldwing does have optional rear mounted crash bars, would those bold up to the Valk? (I don't know)
Something along the lines of these: (these are a full set of front and rear crash bars)
Copart crash bars

Tazmool
Copied from the reviews. Not my words.

The rear bars do not work on a 2015 Honda Valkyrie. I would have to drill into the frame or modify the bars. The front bars fit perfectly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm pretty sure that @bscrive put on a couple of rear crashbars...I think from an F6B. I've tried searching for his post about them but I'm not quite up to speed with the search engine on this forum yet. They also probably needed some welding but they looked great.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I assume Corbin bags are therefore not snap on/off? Excuse my ignorance, never had them. My Valkyrie has been down on concrete and the crash bars worked great BUT I have no bags.
They require several bolts to take off, but are not that bad.

Copart crash bars

Tazmool
Yea, the Corbin bags are nice, but SO not worth what they cost. Luckily mine came with the bike or I wouldnt have them.

Not so worried about the front, but rear bars that worked on my bike would be VERY welcome.

With highway pegs, I can set mine down without touching the Corbins, as long as momentum doesn't cause it to roll further up on the pegs. I was hit in a gas station parking lot and had to replace a highway peg, but was relieved that the Corbins were untouched.
Hmmm there is an idea.... I took off my highway pegs, as I got some used Rivco's, but I am going to look into adding something to the front bar to push it out further...

This may seem a tad simplistic....
But, maybe for when practicing/building skills on the Valk, remove the bags?
I know they're not easy to take on-off, but its free (adds no weight overall), and a time (few days, weeks) can be set aside to build skills and practice, remove then bags for that amount of time.

Tazmool
Yea, thats probably what I will do, I would prefer to keep them on there so the weight stays the same, and also so I can repeat practice anytime I have some time and see an empty lot, but in the short run probably will just remove them.

I will add that, as incredibly well balanced as the Valk is, mine did catch me a tad off guard a few days ago and I almost dropped it.
I almost missed the driveway I was going to pull into (saw it at the last second) so I was stopped on the gravel shoulder. The shoulder is already sloped away from the road. As I was backing up a little bit (trying to backup so I can turn into the driveway) the rear wheel butted up against the paved road surface, and tilted the bike away from the road. At that moment I was surprised how incredibly heavy the bike got all of a sudden as it tried to tip over onto its side. Luckily I muscled it back to the vertical, and just decided to ride down the shoulder, through the grass and onto the driveway. .....
Lesson learned though, the wonderful ballerina that the Valk is, she can get tippy and heavy very quickly!
I'd hate to be picking her up.
At least though, with the engine guards, she won't tip over all the way and lay flat on her side....

Tazmool
I absolutely love my Valk... Right up until I hit gravel, because then it becomes an absolute nightmare. I dont know what the deal is, but I would rather ride a mile through a grass lawn than try to do a 20 foot gravel driveway because it just immediately turns into an absolute shit show as soon as gravel enters the picture.

As far as picking it up goes, I am a REALLY big guy so YMMV, but I found it to be an absolute cakewalk. Right after I got it I set it down gently in my lawn to see what picking it up would feel like, and I don't even have to do any of the various squat techniques, I can just stand next to the bike, hold the bars, and lift it back up quite easily.

I’ve picked mine up three times now, including once on sand. Squat with your (straight) back against the bike, put one hand on the handle bar and the other on the rear grab rail and then slowly stand up. It’s actually not that bad.
Yea, it really isnt that bad at all.

Copied from the reviews. Not my words.

The rear bars do not work on a 2015 Honda Valkyrie. I would have to drill into the frame or modify the bars. The front bars fit perfectly.
Hmmm I might have to get them and check anyway, I see the review you mention, but also several of the reviews say they dont line up with the holes perfectly. So I am curious if the Valk just doesnt have the same holes at all, or if he just meant the bars needed tweaking before they lined up correctly....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure that @bscrive put on a couple of rear crashbars...I think from an F6B. I've tried searching for his post about them but I'm not quite up to speed with the search engine on this forum yet. They also probably needed some welding but they looked great.
Ahh, thanks I see that here: Installed some rear saddlebag guards

Those do look pretty nice, and I like his bags too. I clearly need to work on my welding game.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts