Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got the ole girl out of the garage Saturday washed her down & tried to take a ride. Started off good but seemed weak(not normal!) about a mile from my house bike stopped dead in the road. Soon figured out rear wheel was locked down ! After sitting a few minutes I headed back home with a bad drag on rear wheel . Locked again in drive way but got her back in garage. I think clutch got a little overheated. Played with it a little today. Bike will roll free as long as I don't touch rear pedal ,as soon as I do wheel locks again. Loosened the bleeder & they unlocked. Do I need parts or try changing fluid ,master cylinder ? This could have went bad really fast, NEVER had this with any previous bike!

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would start with fluids. Fresh clean brake fluid and catch the old in a clear container so you can view/inspect it. Flush it and ops check your brakes again, hopefully it's that simple and inexpensive.

Perhaps original fluid never been changed? That's easier than having frozen caliper pistons. These bikes are 7 years old now, so 7 year old fluid if it's never been flushed.
I think possibly Honda replaced everything due to liability.(in the video) If they locked up again after working on them, Honda would be liable and locked up brakes can be catastrophic on two wheels.
Hoping it's that simple for you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Brake/Clutch fluid is extremely hygroscopic and should be changed every two years with fresh sealed unopened container. Opened containers also absorb moisture. I realize many never touch it, especially in their cars. I change mine every year in cars, trucks and bikes which is probably overkill although there are only two wheels between me and the pavement. I also live in Florida hot and humid are brake fluids worst enemy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess I'll try a fluid flush first ...... Any y'all use Speed Bleeders ? Had them on my VTX & they worked quite well ........

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well did a flush on rear brakes & it looks 1000 times better & seems to be working normal. Looked at the front reservoirs & they look terrible. They seem to have went all at once. I should have done this when I bought the bike........ I have ABS by the way & it made no difference at all ,had I been running at speed & this happened thing would have been bad !

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Anybody know if there is only one bleeder per caliper on front ? I found two on rear & assume clutch has only one ? To answer my own question one per front ,two on rear & one for clutch. Total of five for bike. SB8125LL-SS is part # for Speed Bleeders ....... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts