Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Had a little bit of time to get the Madstad windshield, Viking saddle bags, and the Saddlemen carrier bag installed. It鈥檚 just a more simple version of a Goldwing Tourer 馃槀 Can鈥檛 wait to put more miles on it!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good. How did you mount the Viking bags?
Well, the factory carrier isn鈥檛 very big. The 1st time I mounted it the back pointed side of the carrier was digging into the bottom middle of the saddlemen. I had an idea to buy a black plastic cutting board and cut two small reliefs for the backrest bars; then drill a hole in the middle and installed one bolt, wager, nut the make the carrier about the same size of the bottom of the saddlemen. I was worried without the cutting board rigged up that the factory carrier would end up cutting through the bottom of the saddlemen carrier. They aren鈥檛 cheap. For the most part you can鈥檛 see it. And I ended up using the straps that came with it. Let鈥檚 just say 100+ mph winds don鈥檛 phase it! I鈥檒l post some pics later.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the factory carrier isn鈥檛 very big. The 1st time I mounted it the back pointed side of the carrier was digging into the bottom middle of the saddlemen. I had an idea to buy a black plastic cutting board and cut two small reliefs for the backrest bars; then drill a hole in the middle and installed one bolt, wager, nut the make the carrier about the same size of the bottom of the saddlemen. I was worried without the cutting board rigged up that the factory carrier would end up cutting through the bottom of the saddlemen carrier. They aren鈥檛 cheap. For the most part you can鈥檛 see it. And I ended up using the straps that came with it. Let鈥檚 just say 100+ mph winds don鈥檛 phase it! I鈥檒l post some pics later.

Registered
View attachment 12247
Had a little bit of time to get the Madstad windshield, Viking saddle bags, and the Saddlemen carrier bag installed. It鈥檚 just a more simple version of a Goldwing Tourer 馃槀 Can鈥檛 wait to put more miles on it!
What size Madstad did you choose?
View attachment 12247

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What size Madstad did you choose?
I went with the 18鈥 tall windshield. I stand 5鈥10鈥. I have it raised all the way up to get the most coverage. The wind just barely hits the top of my helmet sometimes. If I were the buy it all over again, I would have bought the 20鈥 windshield. They adjust about 2鈥 top to bottom. The 18鈥 I have is maxed out. On another note, at about 70mph on a windy day the windshield has a tendency to want to flutter and vibrate off and on. I鈥檓 thinking about making some sort or flat black plastic brace to tie the two braces together behind the windshield, kind of like the chrome brace pieces you see on Harley windshields to add some support for the high winds.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks good. How did you mount the Viking bags?
I mounted the Viking bags using the OEM mounts and stays. Unfortunately, I had to cut the bottom tab off, located on the lower right side closer to the tail light. The tab was lower than the saddlemen bag, so I cut it off, flipped it up, welded, and painted it. You can鈥檛 tell unless the bag is off and you look close. I imagine the factory bags bolt right on, but they are too expensive for me and I like to be able to keylock my belongings.

Registered
I mounted the Viking bags using the OEM mounts and stays. Unfortunately, I had to cut the bottom tab off, located on the lower right side closer to the tail light. The tab was lower than the saddlemen bag, so I cut it off, flipped it up, welded, and painted it. You can鈥檛 tell unless the bag is off and you look close. I imagine the factory bags bolt right on, but they are too expensive for me and I like to be able to keylock my belongings.
My buddy installed those Viking bags also. Looking at his and mine side by each, his look better, more room inside, more side pockets, mount closer to the pipe which looks MUCH better from the rear and lockability.
He mounted marine plywood sealed and painted to the Honda mounts and stays, then mounted the bags to the plywood. The finished product is more functional, better looking and better mounted (stronger) than OEM as well as cost effective. NICE JOB, LOOKS GREAT.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My buddy installed those Viking bags also. Looking at his and mine side by each, his look better, more room inside, more side pockets, mount closer to the pipe which looks MUCH better from the rear and lockability.
He mounted marine plywood sealed and painted to the Honda mounts and stays, then mounted the bags to the plywood. The finished product is more functional, better looking and better mounted (stronger) than OEM as well as cost effective. NICE JOB, LOOKS GREAT.
The tab I circled in yellow is the one I cut and flipped up, so it wouldn鈥檛 be below the saddlebag. The other pick shows how I was able to just tie into the metal brace that was already inside the Viking saddlebag. I was able to use the factory stays mounts on all 4, but the bottom mounts I ended up trimming part of it flat to run along the bottom of the saddlebag. I had to be creative with it. I didn鈥檛 want to use the Viking mounts that would push the bags way out the sides.

Registered
Nice job for sure. The one thing I like about my stock bags is the perfect contoured fit, which is close to the fender.

Registered
J-THOR, you inspired me. I had previously "enlarged" my luggage rack by sliding a thin piece of plywood under the bag. I liked your cutting board idea so I found one in blue and did the same thing. Much better for supporting a large bag. Thanks!

Attachments

Registered
What J-Thor said - "It鈥檚 just a more simple version of a Goldwing Tourer" .

Exactly. I rode a Heritage for 10+ years but reached the age where I wanted 4+ cylinders for quiet, smooth, low end torque, bags and a windshield, but with the simplicity of a Road King. I need no fairing, radio, speakers, navigation, riding modes, electronic suspension, car play, traction control, etc. I wish some manufacturer would build this bike and add a 6th gear and cruise control. I guess there is just no market for it, so we build it off the best platform available - the '14 and '15 Valk.

Reactions: J-THOR

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Way to go! It
J-THOR, you inspired me. I had previously "enlarged" my luggage rack by sliding a thin piece of plywood under the bag. I liked your cutting board idea so I found one in blue and did the same thing. Much better for supporting a large bag. Thanks!

Way to go! It鈥檚 nice knowing that you won鈥檛 be cutting through the bottom of a new bag and making it last a while.

Registered

I went the similar route. Added the highway pegs as well. Im thinking about either getting a Corbin or getting an OEM seat and having it modded. The stock seat can be a little painful after 4-5 hours. The sheepskin works some. I get crap for it but it works.

Registered
Ref Wentz's sheepskin. Love it. Have one on my Multistrada and my wife hates on it. Nothing like a 10,000 year old solution to 2021 problem. Unfortunate that sheep did not leverage patent law.

Reactions: J-THOR

Registered
Back when I picked up my bike I rode it home about 50 miles ...... Loved the bike but that stock seat felt like no seat at all .......sitting on the frame . I found myself scooting back to try to find some relief . Ordered a Corbin first day of ownership ,it has been the best thing I've purchased for this bike...... :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts