Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the fortunate beneficiary of two factory windshields from forum members.

The first shield & mounting hardware I purchased was cut too short for the previous owner's use. It turns out it is too short for me too, so I am going to lower it even further to kind of make an oversized fairweather boulevard screen.

The second shield is a full-size factory shield that is too tall for me. But instead of cutting the shield I will just position it lower and redrill the mounting holes.

I'm getting ready to redrill the previously cut-down shield and a stock shield to lower & close the gap after tilting the shield. For those who have done this, what size and type of drill bit did you use?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I bought an acrylic drill bit. I'm told they dissipate heat and help preventing melting as well as chipping. I used high speed (RPM) setting, a slow steady feed (force/pressure) on the drill. I blue taped over the area to be drilled to help prevent chipping as well. Measure twice/drill once.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought an acrylic drill bit. I'm told they dissipate heat and help preventing melting as well as chipping. I used high speed (RPM) setting, a slow steady feed (force/pressure) on the drill. I blue taped over the area to be drilled to help prevent chipping as well. Measure twice/drill once.
What size bit did you use?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I do not remember, I did look for you and can't find it. Sorry, it's not with my usual bits. Try sizing with one of your standard bits, see what fits the existing hole, or take the bolt in and have it sized at your local hardware store? I went larger because I installed rubber internal threaded rivnut inserts.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Are use a Dremel bit that is Tapered
I did use a drill bit on a different shield and cracked it

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am the fortunate beneficiary of two factory windshields from forum members.

The first shield & mounting hardware I purchased was cut too short for the previous owner's use. It turns out it is too short for me too, so I am going to lower it even further to kind of make an oversized fairweather boulevard screen.

The second shield is a full-size factory shield that is too tall for me. But instead of cutting the shield I will just position it lower and redrill the mounting holes.

I'm getting ready to redrill the previously cut-down shield and a stock shield to lower & close the gap after tilting the shield. For those who have done this, what size and type of drill bit did you use?
A Forstner Bit might work better than a regular drill bit. They come in all sizes and I believe you can buy them individually at any hardware store or in a set. Forstner Bits - Drill Bits - The Home Depot

·
Registered
174 Posts
I planned on drilling a small pilot hole and then slowly going up in size until the desired diameter is reached.

Bad or good plan? I've never drilled a windshield before.

·
Registered
117 Posts
An inexpensive step drill-bit from Harbor Freight, used at low speed worked very well when I modified an F6B windshield for use on the Valk. Being able to precisely control the diameter of the hole was the big advantage. YMMV.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I drilled my replacement shield this morning.

Pilot hole at 1/16th and then 8 more drill bits up to the needed size.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I drilled my replacement shield this morning.

Pilot hole at 1/16th and then 8 more drill bits up to the needed size.
Geez, I wish I had your patience. Wish some would hurry up and get here. Well done! That kind of project makes me afraid to even start, as it's so easy to mess up and you basically only get one try. I'll patiently wait at least three days before I attempt to tackle it, and by then I'm out of patience!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Geez, I wish I had your patience. Wish some would hurry up and get here. Well done! That kind of project makes me afraid to even start, as it's so easy to mess up and you basically only get one try. I'll patiently wait at least three days before I attempt to tackle it, and by then I'm out of patience!
I get very stressed as I'm NOT a handyman. By the time I finished I felt as if I'd been for a work out.

I marked the four holes I needed by holding the shield up to the already mounted hardware. Then I pilot drilled the 2 I needed on one side. Fitted the screen so as to check the other side. Taped the shield in place and drilled one pilot hole. Removed the screen again and finished drilling that hole to the correct size. Fitted it again and then pilot drilled the fourth hole. Removed the screen and finished drilling that hole. Held my breath and fitted the screen again.

Before drilling the first hole I practiced on some scrap acrylic I had.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found some drill bit designed for plastic on Amazon. Both a 5/16” & 3/8” on order. My Corbin seat gets here tomorrow but I am at a client property and may miss the UPS signiture window for the seat. My new Corbin seat will drop me down about 1/2” so it’s best to wait for drilling holes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts