Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a little about this in the saddle bag thread, but what I discovered tonight causes me to think this topic deserves its own thread.

First of all, here are the instructions: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8230728/20140318142955_7874.pdf

All of the Honda accessories I have bought for my Valkyrie have not included instructions. They just put in a piece of paper with the web link. Hopefully everyone who buys this stuff has a computer and an Internet connection!

Anyways, the power port mounts under the seat where there is a keyed door. Your owner's manual is probably in this little cubby. There is a molded plastic ring in there that the power port mounts to.

To me, this is a pretty weird place to put a power connection. It would be much more useful up near the instrument cluster or on the backside of the radiator panels.

So after I installed it I found out two things that basically make it worthless:

1) It is switched, so the key needs to be positioned at "on" or "accessory". This means hooking up a battery tender to the power port will not work!

2) This is unbelievable, but it has a 2 amp fuse! That means just 24 watts! I blew the fuse instantly when I hooked up a little air compressor.

When (not if) you go to replace the fuse, be careful because there is a tiny spring in the fuse housing that will fall out and under one of the modules in the cubby. Then you have to take the seat off and pull the module out to retrieve the spring. Without the spring the fuse just flops around in the fuse holder.

I suppose if you needed to charge your phone, you could put in a cigarette-lighter-to-USB connector in there. But seriously, who is going to leave their cell phone in the cubby?

I have no idea what purpose this power port has. Please help me out and think of a job for it!

I already have a battery tender cable hooked up to my battery. I put the pigtail for it into the cubby. You can hook battery tenders, compressors, heated clothes and a pile of other things up to that pigtail without problems. (Not all of that stuff at the same time!) It also has a fuse for safety.

http://batterytender.com/products/accessories/ring-terminal-harness.html

So do I have any good news? Yes! Working under the seat on the Valkyrie is worlds easier than the same location on the Gold Wing. There is plenty of room to move around and everything is laid out very neatly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought a new fuse for the power port today. It is actually a 3 amp fuse. The warning label on the power port lists 2 amps, I guess, to be safe?

I can verify that the power port will charge an iPhone without blowing a fuse. I put in one of those USB-to-cigarette-lighter thingies to test it. I might leave it in, because I don't know of a suitable air compressor that won't trip the fuse.

So, if I am in the middle of nowhere and need to charge my phone, I can take off the side cover, unlock the cubbie, switch the bike to "ACC" and charge my phone.

Yay!

Inexpensive replacement fuses, 5 to a pack:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Seems pretty handy. I imagine that it isn't that expensive? how much did it cost for that little USB-lighter thing? $20?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think $10 for the one I bought.

I like that it has two outputs. I don't have two things to plug into it, but you never know!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts