Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Yesterday I picked up a used 2014 valk and after riding it a little bit at home I noticed a few things that have me a little worried and I'm hoping someone on here might know what's going on, or if there's any reason for concern.

First thing I noticed was that the controls felt a lot different than my previous valk. The foot brake felt like it was a lot higher up, which I think can be adjusted and therefore is probably a non-issue really. The position of the blinker controls on my left hand felt weird -- every time I try to turn on a signal I hit my thumb against the controls on top. Not a big deal really but it's something that felt completely intuitive and smooth on my old valk. I also noticed that the blinker control felt kinda sticky.. like when I push it over to the left or right it's like there's a little resistance to it, and it doesn't slide back to the middle as quickly as I'd expect. The dealer said that it might just need a little WD40, which I have yet to try.

Second thing I noticed, when I finished my first short ride, was a pretty strong smell that had a kind of chemical tinge to it. The dealer said it's probably the "stable", which is from what I understand basically a product used to preserve the condition of the gas that sits in the tank for a while. I guess I'll know for sure after I go through the tank and fill it back up, but I was curious if anyone here might have any thoughts on it.

The third thing I noticed was some orangy-brown-white gunk that had formed on one of the tubes on the right hand side of the bike. This stuff was definitely not visible when it was at the dealership. I can kinda smudge it off if I rub it really hard, but I'd never seen anything like it on my previous valkyrie. Here's a picture of it:

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

Appreciate any info you guys might be able to share with me on it. Overall the bike looks very clean with only 9k miles on it, one previous owner who seemed to take pretty meticulous notes of the service that was done to it. I'm hoping I'm just being a worry-wart, but it's my new baby! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
115 Posts
like when I push it over to the left or right it's like there's a little resistance to it, and it doesn't slide back to the middle as quickly as I'd expect.

Same here. I just don't worry about it and push it in to cancel the signal. Don't park near other bikes, your Valk will scare them.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Try some electrical contact cleaner spray on your switches, should make it like new. The smell could be the fuel additive for sure. I use Lucas fuel treatment and smell it when I do. If they used some type of cleaner on the bike and it didn't get properly dried rinsed off, dried off that could be burning off. I wouldn't worry, these bikes are not prone to leaks. Clean the gunk off the tube and monitor, see if it re-appears. Bet it won't. I think these are minor things, if something bigger develops bring it back to the dealer before it's too late. Ride it, get used to it, enjoy it:) Congratulations

·
Registered
624 Posts
I took it for another ride today and I'm happy to report that everything felt excellent -- the controls felt familiar and responsive, there were no smells at any point, and no new gunk showed up. Appreciate the responses @tngarren and @Sixshooter -- definitely helped put my mind at ease!
Its new to you, you need to bond with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A couple points: 1) I have felt that in my turn signal, particularly when the temp was around freezing overnight. I know exactly what you are talking about, but it went away when the temp raised. Not saying it will go away in yours - some of the switches are poorly designed on the bike. I don't use my shutoff button anymore because it was too sensitive and was shutting off by itself. Two, that gunk on the tube almost looks like an adhesive or some sealant compound - or maybe mold. If it had been sitting, could be a lot of things - the fact you said it was hard to rub off makes me think of an adhesive. Did they maybe coat it and jam it in? Three, if it has sat, run a few tank fulls through - but go easy on the bike. I got mine with 780 miles a few years ago, and for the first few weeks she was vibrating a bit in the handlebars (I believe she had sat for over a year). After a couple weeks, the sensation went away. Probably give it a bit of time to run its course; you didn't say how many miles she had, but it may need to break in a bit again. GO EASY I would suggest, particularly if it sat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple points: 1) I have felt that in my turn signal, particularly when the temp was around freezing overnight. I know exactly what you are talking about, but it went away when the temp raised. Not saying it will go away in yours - some of the switches are poorly designed on the bike. I don't use my shutoff button anymore because it was too sensitive and was shutting off by itself. Two, that gunk on the tube almost looks like an adhesive or some sealant compound - or maybe mold. If it had been sitting, could be a lot of things - the fact you said it was hard to rub off makes me think of an adhesive. Did they maybe coat it and jam it in? Three, if it has sat, run a few tank fulls through - but go easy on the bike. I got mine with 780 miles a few years ago, and for the first few weeks she was vibrating a bit in the handlebars (I believe she had sat for over a year). After a couple weeks, the sensation went away. Probably give it a bit of time to run its course; you didn't say how many miles she had, but it may need to break in a bit again. GO EASY I would suggest, particularly if it sat.
Appreciate the response @dyou36 -- She's got ~9500 miles on her. It was pretty chilly when I noticed the switches feeling sticky, and the next day when it was warmer they felt a lot better so what you say sounds accurate. I dabbed a little WD40 on a rag and was able to rub out the gunk but it was a pain in the ass.. I'm gonna check on it today and see if it really went away or just looked like it did while it was wet. Also, it definitely sat for a while over he winter, but no worries there, I always go easy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts