Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to this forum and the Valkyrie. I just purchased from my FIL a really nice 19k miles 1998 F6C that has been sitting for a few years. She runs when sprayed so I studied some Youtube vids and I have her all apart on the bench ARGH...

My problem is that the slow idle jets are plugged and I can not get them unplugged using the jet cleaning tools available. I simply want to replace them with new ones.

Where do I find stock jets? What the slow idle sizes and main jet sizes. Any tricks to blowing out every area that needs to be cleaned?

Finally, what is this Stage 1 I'm reading about? Should I perform this mod? Or just put back stock jets. (I'm desmoging it too while I'm in there)

Thanks, I'm excited about getting it back together...it wasn't that awefully dirty or gummed up at all...but the slow idels were fried. I'm concerned that some of the passageways are not clear under the slide areas as I can't tell where and if air is coming through as it is escaping while I spray. Oh well, I guess I will find out when I put it back together.

Other little issues if someone could address....I plan to plug the few vacuum ports on the lower intake pipes that seemingly fed the smog stuff if that is advisable.

Thanks for any response in helping. Tks again and I do have the manual...just wanted to get on here and get some user advice. Love this bike so far.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Reactions: gandl2123

·
Registered
130 Posts
Carb cleaning can be a bit tricky, and the original valk had a lot of carbs.
The best way to clean carbs as far as I know is to let them soak in a tub of carb cleaner, very strong stuff, and preferrably in an ultrasonic cleaner or at least with an agitator (good long through soak). That should get the jets cleaned up well (and the carb bodies etc), they usually get plugged with all the gummy residue left over from ethanol fuels.

A stage 1 jet kit usually effectively removes the epa/smog lean running condition on stock bikes. A stage 1 kit is usually a very good idea, and if it replaces all your jets (like the pilots) then its even more worth it. Usually a stage 1 kit is fairly simple, a few jets and maybe a better set of adjustable needles. (jeez its been years since I've played with this stuff, my last carb bike was my '98 Valk)

I would definitely remove and plug off the PAIR systems (pulse air injection, or sometimes known as the desmog-kit) plug off the vauum lines, get rid of the extra plumbing. A bike at this age, the pair system is just ripe for all kinds of vauum leaks and such, and all it does is inject fresh air into the exhaust to burn off any un-burnt hydrocarbons in there.

Once you get it running, definitely do a thorough carburator balance.

Enjoy the machine!

Tazmool

1 - 3 of 3 Posts