Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a long cold winter the Valkyrie is set of for the 2015 Rally Season. I spend a lot of time trying to find a good set of Lockable Hard bags I could mount on the "Big V." Corbin = $1200, Honda Bags = $600 just for the bags without the attachment pieces (and they are not lockable anyway). I decided to buy the Honda Hard bag mounting system, and strike out on my own to find a good set of bags that would fit in that space. I didn't want something bulky that didn't flow with the bike.
The front of the Valkyrie is has a "rectangular" element to it - Radiator openings. So, I thought if I could find a set of bags that had that element to them it might give a balanced look to the front and the rear of the bike. Then, one day I remembered a company in Nashville, TN called TPI. They make a lot of cool stuff for Dual Sport bikes. I, over the years, have bought a lot of stuff from them for KLR's I've owned. And, I remembered they had a set of bags called Pelican Bags - rectangular with the following dimensions - 19.75 inches, by 15.75 inches, by 7.40 inches. They are made of a super heavy duty plastic composite material to hold up to trail use. Water proof and air tight. I went out and measured the space between the rear turn signals and the front of the Honda mounting bracket for hard bags. Perfect fit!
I ordered a set and did a lot of measuring and double checking before a drilled the holes so that they would line up with the Honda bag screw holes. I used the mounting hardware that you would mount your Honda bags with to mount the Pelican cases. EXCEPT - I had to dig in my nuts/bolts cans to find LONGER bolts with the same thread pattern - millimeter stuff of course.
Used the rubber cushions that came with the kit as well. I really looked at keeping the distance between the rear turn signals and the bags the same on both side, leveling everything on both sides so that it flowed across the rear seat area. I, also, added the reflective stripes on the back of the bags so that they flowed with the turn-signals and lights on the rear of the bike. It was not a difficult process just time consuming. I am very happy with the result. It, somehow, completes (to me) the Valkyrie's look. It looked unbalanced. Now, it has and can do everything I will need this bike to ever do. Oh, price and link to the bags - $275 for BOTH BAGS SHIPPED.

http://tpimotorcycleparts.com/onlin...age=flypage.tpl&product_id=258&category_id=60

Questions? Give me a shout!

Denny

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice job but i prefer my lamillar viking hard bags. I used the same parts for the installation. Bags cost $399 , my pictures is on this forum. Will take a better pictures in a few weeks. Bike is still stored.

·
Registered
222 Posts
nice custom work with the Pelican cases. I like to see people do something unique and creative.
And the Pelican cases are as about as bullet proof, weather proof and indestructible as anything available. For a gun that I want to take the very best care of, it must be a Pelican case.

I really think Honda (or someone else) should make a good looking, modern, aerodynamic, lockable and easily removable hard cases for the Valkyrie. I'm not a big fan on the standard leather "saddlebag" look for the new Valkyrie.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts