Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished 3rd trips, 7,500 miles in 10 states over the last 6 weeks, including trips from DFW TX to the Ozarks, then Moab, Utah, and the 3rd trip was a big loop last week to Black Hills area, pausing only briefly at Dodge City, Sturgis, Deadwood, Mount Rushmore, Needles, Spearfish Canyon, Crazy Horse, Little Bighorn, Devil’s Tower, Bear Tooth Pass, Old Faithful, Grand Tetons, several times over the Continental Divide, Grand Mesa Ntnl Forest, CO, Gunnison Valley and more. Open Range signs were no joke, we saw cattle, horses, buffalo, a momma and baby bear with no fence between us. Had to wait a few minutes for Buffalo herd to get off the road but that meant plenty of time for photos.

Yellowstone and tourist area hotels were crazy after CDC lifting of COVID restrictions, busy (Jackson Hole wanted $250 - $750 per night) so we targeted smaller places on the outskirts. Most places encouraged but didn’t require masks, or never mentioned it at all, while at others it was sad to see some communities particularly in Montrose, Colorado, still locked down or drive-through only, their businesses dying. Such a relief to arrive at the last hotel in Dumas, TX to see tables and chairs in the hotel’s breakfast area instead of “Grab N Go” breakfasts!

The bike did superbly, averaged about 45 mpg with some tanks over 50 mpg, mostly on non-ethanol gas. I had to change out the front Mich Commander III 120/70R after only 6,000 miles, compared to the previous Mich Commander II Bias ply in the stock size of 130/60 going 19,000 (I’ll be going back to the stock size to confirm the dramatic difference in lifespan, as I noticed no improvement in ride quality from the radial). Meanwhile, the darkside rear now has 10,500 miles and still has as 7 - 9mm of tread depth and did great carving canyons in 6 different states.

One of the surprises was the beauty of western Kansas and Nebraska, as I was expecting one huge flat brown wheat field, but it was rolling green terrain that I enjoyed, though not as spectacular is the other states.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow, what a trip! I've been to most if not all those places but mostly in a cage. That took some serious trip planning. I lived in the Black Hills for 15 years and have kin in Texas & Florida.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Buster, that had to be one AWESOME trip. You saw a lot of gorgeous sights. The bike looks beautiful too. The Midwest, like Kansas and Nebraska, can be quite monotonous and boring in places, and also some of the country's prettiest scenery if you know where to look. I'm a former Iowan, so I have seen both sides of the coin. Your pictures don't begin to cover everything. Would love to see more. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Sturgis, Old Faithful, that was the trip of a lifetime.

I bet your butt was sore and happy to be back home!

Richmonder

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buster, that had to be one AWESOME trip. You saw a lot of gorgeous sights. The bike looks beautiful too. The Midwest, like Kansas and Nebraska, can be quite monotonous and boring in places, and also some of the country's prettiest scenery if you know where to look. I'm a former Iowan, so I have seen both sides of the coin. Your pictures don't begin to cover everything. Would love to see more. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Sturgis, Old Faithful, that was the trip of a lifetime.

I bet your butt was sore and happy to be back home!

Richmonder
I built up some endurance, being fortunate enough to ride through most of the winter, so had quite a few all day Saturday rides leading up to the 3 trips that each had a week break in between. The last trip was 3,600 miles in 9 days. We were generally on the road for a 12 hour period every day, minus lunch and photo ops, but butt was never a problem with the Corbin and lots of stretching. At the end of the 2nd last day, I started to have back pain and legs were cramping up despite shifting them around on the Kuryakyn Ergo III's, but others had the same issue so the group of 10 of us pulled over for a break and then all was good. More photos as as requested. Did not know that the all of the tunnels in the area point right at Rushmore! Hell no, that's not me climbing up that crevasse

Reactions: Sixshooter

·
Registered
670 Posts
AWESOME!!! What a shot of you in front of Rushmore. I hope to go there one day. All that rubble beneath it is left over from the dynamiting. They never bothered to remove it. And check out all the strata in the surrounding bed of that river. Incredible. And nice shot of Old Faithful blowing! Good catch of the moon through that rock formation. Man. You saw it all. Thanks for sharing!

Richmonder.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Gosh these bring back fond memories. My wife and I visited all these spots 10 years ago. Not on our bikes, although we did rent several times along the trip. Love this Country we live in, truly some breath taking sights(y)

Buster in the last photo, what is that under the moon? A dog on it's hind legs? A person with a tail?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sixshooter, the last photo shows a lady in the arch taking a photo thru the arch - I'm not sure what it is that looks like her tail, LOL. I was at the bottom of the area climbing up at the time of that shot. Once we climbed to where the lady was, you can see a big shadow on the other side of the arch, with a bright circle of light in the middle of the shadow, from light that passed thru the arch. Very unique experience.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Beautiful shots. I definitely have to get another seat. The stock seat is so awful. Would you recommend the Corbin or do you have any other ideas?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I highly recommend the Corbin over the stock, but haven't tried the Russell Day Long or some of the others, except the Ultimate, which I would prefer but they were only made for 1st gen Valks. Know that you can also specify verbally to Corbin if you want to sit more forward, rearward, lower, higher, etc. I went with the std Dual Tour. If you have a chance to try other seats at a bike rally, and have the patience to wait, then that might be a valuable experience. Corbin is firm, especially compared to Stock or the very cushy Ultimate, but the shape is so ergonomic that I don't notice the firmness once it was broke in. for a 200 miles or so.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts