Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am back from a two day ride. We did about 14 hours of driving and the I have an issue with the idling speed that is oscillating. Sometimes it would idle up and down between 1000 and 1500 rpm, other times constant at 750 rpm, sometimes constant at 1000 rpm and sometimes it would idle at a constant 1500 rpm. When the idle speed would oscillate up and down, it seems like the bike wasn't hitting on all cylinders and it sounded horrible.

When running down the road it acts fine and I haven't had any change in my fuel economy. Each time I stop it can be a different speed that it idles at.

Basically, I think that my ECM is pooched and a new one isn't cheap. The cheapest I could find is $649 and of course it is a different part number than a regular Goldwing, so I can't just get a used one.

I am also going to look to see if my O2 sensors are fine. Apparently, they should have a resistance of .86 and 1.1 ohms. That should be easy enough to check.

The other thing I am going to check is to see if the Air Temp sensor that goes into the Air Box is good. One fellow shows a fix that I will try by putting in a 2200 ohm resister ( 1/4 watt is fine). Pull the gas tank and locate the air temp sensor which is plugged into the air box. Strip the wires and place the resister in parallel with the sensor. Solder and tape it up. What this does is fool the computer into thinking the incoming air is hotter than it really is so the ECU will remap a leaner mix. The low end stumble is now gone and that occasional galloping idle will also disappear.
One thing you will want to do is unplug the ECU fuse and turn the ignition on. You can immediately replace the fuse and go for a test ride. The ECU will recalibrate and the change should take place quickly. No need to let it idle until warm as the ECU is designed to remap under normal conditions.

My next thing to see is if a re-flash would work. There are a few places around that do that and I am going to contact them to see what their opinion is.

If any of you guys have any suggestions, please don't hesitate to chime in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have noticed this same thing on mine, bought the bike brand new out of a crate 2 weeks ago, I was worried something had gone bad sitting in the crate too long. Glad to hear it isn't just me.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked everything over and I couldn't find anything wrong. This has been an issue for Goldwings for a while. The suggested cure is to wait until the bike is stone cold and then start it up, but do NOT touch the throttle. Let it idle until the fans come on and then then switch off. Turn off the bike and let it sit for about 15 seconds and then restart it and go for a ride. This is what they call an ECM reset. Worked for me....so far.

Some have had to get the ECM reflashed, but that is a small mainority of them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cured

I replaced the idle air control valve which is called the 'rotary air control valve' on our bikes and the idling is back to normal.

I tried to get one here in Canada, but my Honda dealer told me that they are backordered until mid-August and the price here was $295!!! I told him that I can get it at Partzilla for $80 USD. He told me that he pays more than that for the part. I ordered the part from Partzilla. After I ordered the part I remembered that I had bought a throttle body from a wing a couple of years ago for the cruise mechanism. I checked the part number and it was the same. I changed the part and the bike is now idling perfectly. I will keep the other IACV in case this one goes. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts