Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is not new to most but fun to watch anyway.

I've watched, I believe, every video on YouTube about the Valkyrie. Can't get enough of them. This one was very well filmed. A great deal of effort was put into it. And what I find interesting is how they pronounce "Valkyrie". I have always pronounced it "VAWL-kuh-ree" where the first syllable rhymes with "All". But most people seem to call it VALL-kuh-ree", where the first syllable rhymes with "Hal". I can't make myself say it that way. Especially when I shorten the name to "Valk". I say it "VAWLK". And since it's a Honda-produced commercial, I feel better now.

Richmonder

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wow...love it.
If you ever think about selling your bike, just watch that video and fall for her all over again. Many great attributes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
And what I find interesting is how they pronounce "Valkyrie". I have always pronounced it "VAWL-kuh-ree" where the first syllable rhymes with "All". But most people seem to call it VALL-kuh-ree", where the first syllable rhymes with "Hal". I can't make myself say it that way. Especially when I shorten the name to "Valk". I say it "VAWLK". And since it's a Honda-produced commercial, I feel better now.
My mother's first language was Norweigan and she would pronounce it with the emphasis on the second syllable such as "val-ˈKIR'-ē". The second pronunciation by Merriam-Webster Dictionary here:

My mother was also extremely proud of her Norweigan ancestor and probably passed that on to me too. Maybe that is why I find it annoying when people call the Valkyrie a dragon and use pictures of a dragon for the Valkyrie. To me, it's showing complete ignorance of the origins and meaning of the name Valkyrie. The Norse Valkyrie needs no dragon for a substitute.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My mother's first language was Norweigan and she would pronounce it with the emphasis on the second syllable such as "val-ˈKIR'-ē". The second pronunciation by Merriam-Webster Dictionary here:

My mother was also extremely proud of her Norweigan ancestor and probably passed that on to me too. Maybe that is why I find it annoying when people call the Valkyrie a dragon and use pictures of a dragon for the Valkyrie. To me, it's showing complete ignorance of the origins and meaning of the name Valkyrie. The Norse Valkyrie needs no dragon for a substitute.
As a proud descendant of Norse heritage, I couldn't agree more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts