Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish Honda and everybody else would stop trying to classify the Valkyrie F6C as a "Cruiser." It is not a cruiser. It is a heavyweight "Standard." Back in the '70's and '80's you could still buy a "UJM," short for Universal Japanese Motorcycle. Those bikes seated you comfortably upright with your feet under you, didn't require you to stretch your arms out a great deal to reach the bars, had plenty of power, cornering clearance and brakes. Sound familiar? The modern crusiers these days typically seat you in the "clamshell" position, have limited cornering clearance, and often have only average brakes. The Valkyrie should be listed right next to Honda's current CB 1100, not in the cruiser section. I intend to write to Honda with these thoughts and I'll let you know how they respond. Ride safe.
DougT

·
Registered
374 Posts
I feel yah Doug, they could at least put Power Cruiser on it like the original. But the problem I see if they do call it something when you go shopping for parts if it doesn't have some kind of class labeling what parts grouping would you look under?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Maybe not a mainstream, traditional cruiser, but I can't see the f6c fitting any classification other than Cruiser and Power Cruiser.

UJM is definitely a technical fit. In all my bike repartee over the years, I've never heard UJM referenced by another rider (until now!) I've only seen it in print. As a result, it's not really part of my vocabulary.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just figured it out. If you put highway pegs on the crash bars and put your feet out in front of you when you ride you look like the clam that we refer to on the cruiser. So if you have highway pegs it's a cruiser if you don't it's a UJM. LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Valkyries are in a class by themselves, there are all others and now the "Valkyrie Class". The plane the train the way to go...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like it in the cruiser category instead of sport. Makes my insurance cheaper lol. Well unless you go through progressive. Had to cancel them quick.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's definitely a cruiser. The clamshell you speak of is actually used on a class called Power Cruisers such as the VROD and the M109R and the Raider, etc. There are other cruisers out there like the C50T that have a similar seating position to the Valk, along with the Vaquero, the C90, etc.

Cruiser generally defines the style of riding, cruising these bikes tend to have relaxed seating positions, little to no wind protection and provide a more visceral riding experience, generally aren't long haul touring bikes (that's why there is a touring class). If anything the Valkyrie is a power cruiser because it does have a lot of HP and is slated more towards performance than just cruising teh backroads at 45mph.

Bike classifications lean more toward the style of riding than how the bike itself looks. That's why there are touring, cruisers, power cruisers (more HP and more aggressive handling), sport, hypersport, dual sport, adventure, etc. Each bike fits that type of riding style based on it's design.

As for lousy brakes, handling, etc I would also disagree, the M109R and the VROD are both powerful and have great brakes, I've had both. The Raider is pretty good too and if you know how to ride all of them will hustle through the corners, trust me I've kept up with sport riders on mine without to much effort. However the calmshell riding position isn't sport oriented they are more straight line brawlers.

Standards are a whole class that was around before most of any of the current classifications existed, these were your CB1000's, Suzuki GS models and now a whole new crop of bikes out there like the VMAX and new Kawi, suzuki standards that have RR motors detuned for streetability and have a much more upright riding position, this also bleeds into the Naked category, tehnically the Valk is naked too, but isn't in the naked category, it's more of a cruiser.

Of all the classes out there "cruiser" is definitely the most applicable fit for this bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts