Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I really love the bike. I have a blue 2014 Honda Valkyrie. Brand new.

I just have a couple of questions for clear up. First of all, there's a slot for the key near the left rear passenger seat, what's that for?

Second, the dealer told me the owners manual was on the bike, where would it be, under the seat?

Third, what type of fuel does it use? I had to fill up yesterday and without any information, I used 87 (iirc) because no where did I see use premium only. So I just went with the lowest octane. What does the owners manual say?

Fourth, how do you remove the seat, and is there an easy way to feed through a wire from the handlebars to the battery so I can install a USB charger?

Fifth, is removing the fairing an easy job? What about the gas tank? I'm assuming the air filter is somewhere in there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1. That's the helmet lock.
2. No idea. My owners manual was handed to me with the rest of the paperwork when I purchased it.
3. 87 works fine. I've used 87 and I've used premium. The bike runs excellently on all of it.
4. At the rear of both the passenger seat and driver seat, you'll have to pull the padding forward to expose the bolts holding the seats down. The passenger seat must be removed to access the bolts for the driver seat.
5. I've not had to remove the fairing or the gas tank. However, I believe I've read that the tank is a challenge to remove.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I can answer a couple of your questions. The slot near the left rear of the passenger seat is for the helmet lock. The manual should be in the compartment behind the right side cover. That cover is held in place by 3 grommets, but it can be carefully be pulled straight out. There will be a door behind the cover which also opens with your key. The bike uses an octane of 87 or greater. I always use 87 octane. I find paying more for a higher octane is wasting money, but to each his own. The seat(s) are held on by two allen head bolts under the rear of each seat about the 5 and 7 o'clock position. Remove the bolts and slide back. There is a place in the compartment under the seat to mount a cigarette type connector. Sorry, I can't help with the rest.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The tank is not hard to remove as such. It is just there is a lot of crap to come off to do it. Fuel cover, fuel hatch cable, radiator covers and panels, seat. I covered a table with bits doing it haha. Not hard to do once you have done it but the first time takes forever and yes the air filter is under the tank.

If you want to do a quick and dirty though (Which I did until I got around to removed the tank for a service) you can use a wire coat hanger straightened or something like that. Attack one end of the wire to the end and feed it through and then tuck the wire out of site once you have hooked up. Nothing super hot there so no problems at least on the left side where I put it down. Similar on the right but battery terminals and where I installed the switches are all on the left.

BTW make sure you use a switch when powering USB if you go straight to the battery. Even with nothing plugged in they use power and you would be surprised how much the little buggers use doing nothing. I got these neat lighted rocker switches that I put in that left knee panel on the radiator covers. Looks good :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ran a battery tender cable from my battery, under the seat, and fed under/along the side of the tank then tie wrapped to the cable bundle forward of the tank and then cable tied to the handlebar. No need to remove anything except for the left cover for battery access and the seat to ease feeding under/along tank. I have a usb adapter I use to keep my phone charged (phone mounted to handlebar). As others have mentioned: Don't leave the USB adapter connected to the battery. I unplug mine whenever not in use. Living in a winter zone, the battery tender cable is useful in the winter.
My only regret is that the battery tender cable is red/black instead of solid black so I see it too often.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Deltran has a cheap and easy accessory fix. Just use their kit that includes a battery tap and a USB charger. The battery tap can alternate service between the battery tender and accessory power whenever needed. Just buy a cheap ten feet long USB cable and snake it up to the handlebar.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deltran has a cheap and easy accessory fix. Just use their kit that includes a battery tap and a USB charger. The battery tap can alternate service between the battery tender and accessory power whenever needed. Just buy a cheap ten feet long USB cable and snake it up to the handlebar.
Can it be fed through the left side? i see some wires going down to the battery. or do you have the usb cable exposed?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ran the usb up from the glove box and just under the drip lip of the gas tank. The usb then followed brake cables to the right side handlebar. I guess that a similar route could be followed on the left side and then follow the clutch cables to the left side handlebar. I like having my Garmin mounted on the right side so I give a quick, careful and occasional tap from my left hand while I keep my right hand on the throttle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats, HGL1800C!

When you take off the right side cover to get to the storage box be sure to take a good look at the rubber grommets that the 3 cover posts slide into. The grommets aren't very sturdy and it's pretty easy to accidentally push them on thru, which would keep the post from locking in correctly. I got some aftermarket ones that are heavier duty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats, HGL1800C!

When you take off the right side cover to get to the storage box be sure to take a good look at the rubber grommets that the 3 cover posts slide into. The grommets aren't very sturdy and it's pretty easy to accidentally push them on thru, which would keep the post from locking in correctly. I got some aftermarket ones that are heavier duty.

Did you get those replacement grommets from ChromeWorld dot com? I saw they had some oblong grommets in their online catalog and wondered if they would be any better than the original ones that dislodge almost every time I remove side covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you get those replacement grommets from ChromeWorld dot com? I saw they had some oblong grommets in their online catalog and wondered if they would be any better than the original ones that dislodge almost every time I remove side covers.
@HGL1800C,

I got them from Amazon, "Show Chrome Replacement Black Grommets Honda 52-691". I got two sets so I could have some spares. Some of the other posts mentioned applying a little silicone grease to the cover posts before you reseat them.

·
Super Moderator
188 Posts
Congrats, HGL1800C!

After losing a couple myself, I put a dab of water-based lube on them. The posts slide in a little easier so the grommets aren't as likely to pop out, but they still hold the covers in snug enough.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ditto on the grommets

Did you get those replacement grommets from ChromeWorld dot com? I saw they had some oblong grommets in their online catalog and wondered if they would be any better than the original ones that dislodge almost every time I remove side covers.[/QUOTEBought by 2014 with only 1258 miles, and one of the grommets was already missing, so I urgently paid the dealer, as I lost the side cover on a previous bike that way,:( and it is very expensive for a new one and almost impossible to find a used one.:eek: I'll get some of these aftermarket ones and replace the next time I have to take the covers off for something.

Oh, and manual is like 3" x 5" and delivered with the tool kit in that locked compartment behind the ride side cover. The bike also comes with a 'helmet strap' that has a d-ring on each end, to make it easier to use the lockable helmet hook on the other side. sketch of how to use it is in the manual.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think I would just use plain old Vaselin to lube the grommets. silicone is really bad if you ever go to repaint anything. most body shops won't let you near with a can of it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
These grommets really are one of the few nagging issues with this bike. I use rubber cement to hold in the grommets (removable and cleanable, but will hold if you're a little careful when putting/pulling the covers on and off) and then, once that has dried/cured well, I put the slightest bit of white lithium grease (you can get it in a tiny tube) on the "Three Little Pegs". I also carry extra aftermarket (and less likely to get pushed in too far) grommets as a precaution. If you're on a trip, you don't want to lose an expensive side cover by relying on only one or two grommets to hold things together. I'm a little disappointed that Honda didn't originally come up with a simpler and more elegant solution to a simple problem, especially when most everything else on the bike shows an interest in "getting it right" for the people like me who find this bike the best compromise of all worlds.

·
Registered
712 Posts
After reading this I went out and checked my right side cover. Yep. One of the oval grommets is missing. Lucky I haven't lost the cover. Back to the dealer on Monday to see what they suggest. Hopefully they'll have something to replace it that actually stays put(!) Really quite remarkable that Honda let this quality through.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Don't know what the big deal is .......Bought a new VTX back in 04 .....same retention system. Never lost a side cover & people used the same grease trick. I did have to replace one grommet & super glued them all in .They were all still working when I sold the bike this time last year. The PO of my Valk lost one on the ride home from dealer,so check them puppies.....

·
Registered
202 Posts
After reading this I went out and checked my right side cover. Yep. One of the oval grommets is missing. Lucky I haven't lost the cover. Back to the dealer on Monday to see what they suggest. Hopefully they'll have something to replace it that actually stays put(!) Really quite remarkable that Honda let this quality through.
I'd like to see the look on your face when the Honda parts guy tells you how much an OEM grommet costs! When I started choking when I was first told, the parts guy looked at me and said, "Welcome to Mother Honda." He wasn't smiling at me.
And this is why you see many of us referring to "aftermarket grommets".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts