Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy, here. Looking forward to the site! Just picked up a black 2014 with only 698 miles on it. I’ve owned a dirt bike CR125 when I was a child, then a Hayabusa and Gsxr1000 as an adult. Now I’m slowing down and cruising with my wife! Can’t wait to explore the forum!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome J-Thor! If you're "slowing down" from a GSXR, this is a good way to do it. You won't miss much, LOL! This bike is a torque monster. Looks like you got one much like mine. Mine's a 2014 which had 108 miles on it when I bought it this summer. Curious about your purchase circumstances if you'd care to share where you got it, what you paid, some pics, etc. It's curious how so many of these bikes have so few miles on them after 7 years. It's almost like people buy them, get scared of the sheer power and stick them in storage.

There are several guys on here from Texas. Where specifically are you?

Enjoy the site and welcome.

Richmonder

Reactions: J-THOR

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome J-Thor! If you're "slowing down" from a GSXR, this is a good way to do it. You won't miss much, LOL! This bike is a torque monster. Looks like you got one much like mine. Mine's a 2014 which had 108 miles on it when I bought it this summer. Curious about your purchase circumstances if you'd care to share where you got it, what you paid, some pics, etc. It's curious how so many of these bikes have so few miles on them after 7 years. It's almost like people buy them, get scared of the sheer power and stick them in storage.

There are several guys on here from Texas. Where specifically are you?

Enjoy the site and welcome.

Richmonder
I think a lot of these bikes were from "The great release of 2018" people got them because the price was too good to pass up and later decided they weren't their cup of tea... thing is they probably didn't take much of a bath the depreciation was already built in

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome. Great deal. Nothing better than buying a new used bike that hasn't even been broken in yet. I never could understand why someone would buy a bike and never use it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the guy I bought the bike from just didn’t have time to ride due to traveling with work. He just paid it off in March of this year, too. I live outside the Houston area close to the water. I take a half dozen trips to Hill Country every year and can’t wait to ride there in Rocksprings, Kerrville,Fredericksburg, etc. I paid him $9K cash and didn’t bother haggling because I thought it was a fair price for what I was getting, including the 2 helmets and the bike cover. I did order a Madstat windshield and plan on putting on saddlebags. I just learned from the site about starting off in 2nd gear and avoiding 1st gear when I can. This bike is a torque monster and rides very smooth. It’s nice to have a quiet ride and conversation riding 2 up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah, the guy I bought the bike from just didn’t have time to ride due to traveling with work. He just paid it off in March of this year, too. I live outside the Houston area close to the water. I take a half dozen trips to Hill Country every year and can’t wait to ride there in Rocksprings, Kerrville,Fredericksburg, etc. I paid him $9K cash and didn’t bother haggling because I thought it was a fair price for what I was getting, including the 2 helmets and the bike cover. I did order a Madstat windshield and plan on putting on saddlebags. I just learned from the site about starting off in 2nd gear and avoiding 1st gear when I can. This bike is a torque monster and rides very smooth. It’s nice to have a quiet ride and conversation riding 2 up.

You definitely got a good deal. Enjoy it as this bike will deliver a lifetime of enjoyment. As for starting out in 2nd gear, that's personal preference. Yes, 1st is too low, but once you get used to shifting it will all become muscle memory and starting out in first isn't even thought about. I always start in 1st and go through the gears as quickly as needed. Plus, you can get a great launch from 1st should the situation dictate it!:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
J-THOR, howdy from DFW, TX

Reactions: J-THOR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Put a couple hundred miles on the bike and have been using 2nd gear starts 2up, so my wife doesn’t head butt me. 1st is quick off the line. Driving habits are hard to shake, since I drive it like my gixxer when I’m solo with the 1st gear starts.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've written this before, but for the benefit of the new guys, try this in a big empty parking lot. From a dead stop and in 2nd gear, release the brakes and without adding throttle, let the clutch out over a quick count of 'a thousand and one' (1 second, not just popping the clutch) and the bike gently takes off. For a quicker take off, add throttle and if you add a hell of a lot, the front wheel will come up. Given the performance, I just don't understand why anyone would use 1st gear unless riding two up, on a hill, pulling a trailer, maneuvering in the parking lot, or walking it into the garage. A lot of Goldwingers refer to 1st as a 'walking gear' to compliment the reverse gear, and THAT makes sense. Like 1st gear in an old pickup, only for special occasions, or every gear in a tractor trailer - not used when pulling an empty trailer. They also refer to parking a Goldwing in the garage being like docking the Starship Enterprise (I LOVE that one). If starting in 1st from a stop light at a decent sized intersection, the bike is begging to be shifted from 1st in the middle of the intersection! I suppose some might have a very sedate riding style, but this IS a muscle cruiser. Thanks, I feel better now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Okay, I tried it and it works just fine. Actually feels better on the launch and eliminates the need for a quick shift especially if turning from an intersection. I just naturally shift without thought and this seems foreign to me, I have to think about it.
I could get used to it and it doesn't seem to hurt the bike in anyway, I didn't notice any lugging. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts