Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I’ve been cruising this forum for a while and enjoyed all the chat. I’m not a big poster so never got around to joining in.
Anyway, it’s probably time for me to introduce myself…..

So, my name is Ken, lived in Ottawa…capital of Canada for the last 20 years and just moved out to wonderful Cape Breton Nova Scotia.
I grew up a teenager in 60’s/70’s England where a ‘bike was my only source of transport for many years, from BSA, to Honda and Norton.
I quit riding during the 80's when I moved to Canada (Toronto) and started again about 2000.

In 2005 I bought an American 2003 Standard with 1200 miles on it. My wife and I did 115,000 km through the USA and Canada..mostly back roads. I have to say that American roads are the BOMB and we have loved every hill and turn that we’ve come across. I honestly couldn't see me EVER WANTING to replace this bike with anything! I love the simplicity, the looks and the ride of this wonderful machine and even the attention it gets at every coffee shop we stop at ….and there have been many with the Standard's tank capacity haha.

I did all my own maintenance except for a couple of rear tire changes on the road (I once built and flew a 200mph airplane, so I’m pretty handy with a hammer).

I’d toyed with buying another bike, but I could NOT find anything that more than mildly turned me on, even a 2014/15 Valkyrie, which looked just too weird for me at the time. Everything else had too many bells and whistles, fairings, etc and the thought of losing my beloved 2003 Valk just kept me awake at night…along with flying and playing in a blues band, riding around the next bend is my great love.

Fast forward to August 2021 and I see an ad for a 2015 red Valkyrie. I started to drool over the increased tank capacity, the ABS brakes and the simplicity of rear wheel removal and then made the fatal mistake of riding out to see it. Next thing I know is I’m writing a cheque!

After a couple of short rides around the block with the factory seats and the lean forward position, I quickly realised I was not going to get far. So I put on the included Corbin seat, asked bscrive (from this forum) to help me put on 2 inch risers and things were looking better. Next job I did was to drop the windshield as low as possible, added a luggage rack and a couple of toe rests, fabricated a makeshift, part-time backrest and left Ottawa for a 3,600 return ride from Ottawa Ontario to Sydney Nova Scotia.

What a ride! We struggled a bit with my navigator’s comfort….tried an Airhawk but it didn’t do much. Mainly because there was no gap between her backrest and the seat for “stuff” to fit into and she was always being pushed forward. A mod on the backrest pad fixed that.

Shortly after that trip we decided to move permanently to Cape Breton, so sadly i had to part with my old 2003 Standard as moving 1 bike is enough work for me.

I do miss her, but we are both loving the 2015, having spent the last 5 months getting to know Cape Breton Island with it’s beautiful scenery.

Enough of me. Thanks for listening and I'm looking forward to some chat.

Ken

Below is a pic of my 2003 and my 2015 with my navigator.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Plant

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Fuel tank

·
Super Moderator
927 Posts
Awesome photos and story! Thanks for sharing, Gizmo!

Richmonder

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks for sharing the story!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Welcome aboard!

That is a good background story too!

Lovely Std 1st Gen Valk, nicely kitted out.
The 2nd Gen looks the business too! Over the winter (unless its already been done), I'd recommend all fluids change (including the Fork) my bike's handling improved quite a bit with a bit of work on the front end.

Curious about this 200mph plane you build in your past?
What was it?
Do you still fly it, or something else?

Tazmool

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys. Happy to be here.
@Tazmool, thanks for the tips. Just about to move into a new house with a GARAGE!!! looking forward to working on a bike again.
The 'plane is an RV6. Built it in my basement during the mid 90's and flew it until the mid 2000's. My new partner (now navigator) wasn't too keen on flying, but she DID like biking. Plus it just got too damn expensive to keep flying, so I sadly sold her. I miss the flying, but not the cost or the work to keep it going.

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

Vehicle Flight instruments Cockpit Aircraft Steering wheel

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thats a beautiful RV6A!! Looks like a very clean build, love the access to behind the panel.
Which engine did you use? O-360? What engine management system is that? Vision microsystems? How long did it take to finish the build?
Thats one of my long term, smoldering (ie slow going) passions of mine (flying & one day owning and flying my own airplane) I'm working towards it, but a lot of unknowns, lots to learn, lot of hurdles to overcome. I flew in a RV4 before, what a wonderful line of kit planes those RVs!

I've got other questions, I'll PM you!

Tazmool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts