Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since I posted anything, but here's my latest project, a custom luggage rack.
I couldn't find what I wanted, so I decided to build my own. I call it the Coffin Jockey luggage rack. Made out of 1/2in box steel, welded and painted w/ 2 coats of hammer finish spray paint and 2 coats of krylon triple thick glaze. It's really solid and strong enough to hold my fat butt up, though doesn't make a comfortable seat. And the back seat fits clearly under it, but I took it off. I have a template so I can always make more. Hope you all are safe and well-fed wherever you are. -Bobcat
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel
Motor vehicle Triangle Road surface Automotive lighting Hood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm impressed with your fabrication skills. Just getting the mounting holes aligned to the bike mount locations is a big task, in both locational and angular alignment. And unlike the Honda OEM rack, yours will allow bungee cord attachment almost anywhere due to the shape of the support structure, whereas the Honda rack has thick slats that bungee hooks aren't big enough to wrap around and the only thing you can attach them to is the nibs underneath. And the chrome Honda unit just looks out of place on the Valkyrie in my opinion. Personally I never thought I'd find a rack that was functional, affordable and a good fit, so I gave up and bought the OEM. Your only drawback is it eliminates the option of carrying a passenger, which if you removed the passenger seat on yours, is not an issue for you. It does have a certain "Alice Cooper" look to it!

Richmonder

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nice work. I particularly like the tapered width which follows the lines of the bike. Have you fitted any type of luggage to it yet? The raised rear edge looks like a good idea to keep stuff from shifting or getting under way in flight.
Hahaha..."safe and well fed" :ROFLMAO: Two of my creature comfort requirements.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm impressed with your fabrication skills. Just getting the mounting holes aligned to the bike mount locations is a big task, in both locational and angular alignment. And unlike the Honda OEM rack, yours will allow bungee cord attachment almost anywhere due to the shape of the support structure, whereas the Honda rack has thick slats that bungee hooks aren't big enough to wrap around and the only thing you can attach them to is the nibs underneath. And the chrome Honda unit just looks out of place on the Valkyrie in my opinion. Personally I never thought I'd find a rack that was functional, affordable and a good fit, so I gave up and bought the OEM. Your only drawback is it eliminates the option of carrying a passenger, which if you removed the passenger seat on yours, is not an issue for you. It does have a certain "Alice Cooper" look to it!

Richmonder
Thank you so much. I'm a "no passengers, get your own bike!" kind of cat so losing a seat doesn't bother me. That "no place to hook" was a big reason I made my own, and also wanted just a little bit of a lip to keep things from sliding back. Also all the OEM ones just seemed too small. Like a salad plate vs a whole tray table which now I have. The coffin shape is just a "happy accident" but it suits my aesthetic. XD

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work. I particularly like the tapered width which follows the lines of the bike. Have you fitted any type of luggage to it yet? The raised rear edge looks like a good idea to keep stuff from shifting or getting under way in flight.
Hahaha..."safe and well fed" :ROFLMAO: Two of my creature comfort requirements.
Many thanks! I've only bungeed a small backpack to it which feels more secure than just strapped to the seat and those fat rails. The intention is to be able to ride with a fully stuffed travel backpack, maybe a tent and bedroll and I'm sure it will work great. That little lip at the end is exactly for that purpose. I never liked the feeling of things shifting backward when I start up. Now that I've got a template for the compound angles to mount it, if I ever want to get anything hard cased I can easily make a frame for just that. Cheers!

·
Registered
584 Posts
You didn't post your video, which I just discovered today:

Richmonder

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'll admit... That custom luggage rack looks cool but let's be honest... If you made this adding the rear seat would be far more practical. Not just practical.........Could save your marriage...
There are 4 simple bolts you can connect that to the unneccessary grabrails. Anrd with the grabrails..,,.Even easier...

I just used the OEM that connects to the rails. It just works. But this coffen setup is better. Longer. More real estate to connect stuff. Just have it work with the pannier seat and you can make this work for the masses if you like.. Consider this constructive criticism. It works. It can just work better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts