Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

New Bike

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Farther 
#1 ·
I've gone long enough without a Valkyrie. I totaled my first generation Valkyrie in 2015 five days after I retired. I'm healed, it's time for a new one. I would like to configure my new Valkyrie similar to my old one but without the leather saddlebags. My questions are:

1. I would like to do the solo saddle with a Honda cargo rack and Honda sissy bar and keep the passenger handlebars to secure my touring gear but remove the passenger seat. Is this easily doable?

2. Does anybody make a rack to replace the passenger seat?

3. More questions to come.

#3 ·
I've gone long enough without a Valkyrie. I totaled my first generation Valkyrie in 2015 five days after I retired. I'm healed, it's time for a new one. I would like to configure my new Valkyrie similar to my old one but without the leather saddlebags. My questions are:

1. I would like to do the solo saddle with a Honda cargo rack and Honda sissy bar and keep the passenger handlebars to secure my touring gear but remove the passenger seat. Is this easily doable?

2. Does anybody make a rack to replace the passenger seat?

3. More questions to come.
far,, I have my own questions. but first I will answer yours.

1. Yes. take off the passenger seat only. all items are separable pieces.
2. You being a Tenured bike type guy probably has had a fistful of bikes and experience. It is high time that you learn to fabricate your own parts. either use parts built for other bikes and make them fit your new sled , or just scratch out your own specs and have some metal shop make it for you.. its more fun to do your own. you will be the only kid with it.
3. No more soup for you. today.

OK, so this is what I want to know. How do you like your New Valk as compared to your old Valk? what makes it more better? what do you miss ? be gentle, this crowd is sensitive bunch.

#12 ·
OK, so this is what I want to know. How do you like your New Valk as compared to your old Valk? what makes it better? what do you miss? be gentle, this crowd is a sensitive bunch.
I like the gas gauge and the "welcome" message is nice on the second generation (2G).

The riding positions are different. I had a footpeg lower kit and handlebar risers on the first generation (1G) Valkyrie. I'm still warming to the new riding position but then I have been off my 1G for five years and my 70-year-old body is adjusting to a lot of things. I'm glad I don't have to re-qualify for my motorcycle driver's license. The learning curve is steep and the weather is cold.

The comfort is different. The G1 does a "better" job of heat management but the downside is that it's colder riding the G2 than the G1. It should make for a better hot weather riding experience. There may be some heated riding gear in my future. Fortunately, I find both stock seats comfortable. I don't think there would be any aftermarket option to improve seating comfort for me.

The performance & handling is very similar between the two and the transmission clunk is familiar. If memory serves me I think that switching to Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 helped with shifting smoothness on my 1G. There seem to be more brake dive with the 2G and the front brake is a little grabby but the 2G has new pads and probably not beded yet.

I raised both the brake pedal and shifter pedal on my 1G and I'm finding it annoying getting my toe under the shifter on the 2G. Also, the rear brake pedal on my 2G seems too low.

Visually, I really like the lines of the 2G Valkyrie and the 2G really makes the 1G look dated. But the 1G appearance will always be a favorite. I think the 1G lent itself more to "chroming out" but then there were far more chrome options for the 1G than the 2G.

I'm not a mechanic. I think that maintenance will be more of a challenge on the 2G as opposed to the 1G. I no longer have a shop to do maintenance on my bike as a result of divorce. I don't welcome all the plastic stuff. Time will tell if I will start to do my own fluid changes again.

I find the factory sissybar and cargo rack a far better design on the 1G than on the 2G. I had LeatherWorks saddlebags and EZ Bracket on my 1G Valkyrie. EZ Brackets are not an option on the 2G. I wasn't going to get saddlebags for the 2G but OEM 24 liter leather saddlebags are on order and if available will be on their way. If OEM leather saddlebags are not available I will get LeatherWorks bags again and mount them on OEM brackets & stays.

That's all the comes to mind now.

#6 ·
Third times a charm. My first effort to purchase a second-generation Valkyrie was when the new old stock was selling for about $8k a few years ago. I paid a down payment and had a plane ticket to fly to Milwaukee, Wisc to pick up a brand new black model and ride it back to the west coast. With bags packed, when it came time to go to the airport my wife said she would not drive me to the airport and wanted nothing to do with me getting another motorcycle. So I thought in the interest of marital peace I would cancel this. Two years later my wife of 43 years and I decided to split the sheets. Unencumbered by a controlling spouse, I located a lightly used black ABS model in Portland, OR and was on my way to purchase it when I got cold feet and decided to not go through with the purchase. So now on my third attempt, I will be picking up a lightly used 2014 black Valkyrie on Tuesday. This time it is a go.

#7 · (Edited)
A long wait for sure but I think you will enjoy it as to your original post (years ago LoL) unless you just DESPISE that passenger seat you might look at this... there IS a thread on this somewhere on the sit, it mounts on there and ties off on the grab rails good I was going to get it... but I bought a Corbin Dual Tour and think its too wide to make it work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saddlemen-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

EDIT I found the old thread with pics and its even on a black bike LOL

https://www.f6cforum.com/forum/9-ho...s/6441-saddleman-tunnel-bag-rear-luggage.html

#10 ·
Other than from the trailer to the yard I have not ridden my new to me Valkyrie. I hauled it home in periods of driving rain, now waiting on delivery of my helmet, the forecast is calling for freezing rain and up to 20" of snow in parts of the mountains. The helmet arrives today, the better weather, not for a few days.

#11 ·
I hope you still get some riding in this year. Shame to have that beautiful bike and not be able to enjoy it. The last few days here in Richmond have been perfect riding weather and I have been enjoying it immensely on mine. Keep us posted! And let's see some pics!

Richmonder

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.