Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 original battery finally id dying. 38 thousand miles. Seems like a good run. Hasn't left me stranded but tonight it didn't start on the first button push. Took a couples tries to crank fast enough to start. So I ordered a new Yuasa from Amazon.>:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm curious - did you use a battery tender for periods when you weren't riding it at least every 2 weeks or so?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Went to the battery place Saturday and the book says its an AGM battery so there's no adding water or checking levels other than full load testing. I will buy a new battery this spring to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got my new battery in it tonight. I will say it turns over at twice the speed of before. Same Yuasa GYZ20L AGM as was in it when new. I got a deal thru Amazon for $58.52. Deals are hard to find but they are out there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The battery in my VTX finally died this year. Lasted 9 years tho so I can't complain.
Course it was one I put together myself from Li-Iron cells. Was way more battery than I needed but I will say that after I put it together and installed it in the bike I never touched it after. And it always started, even in 20 degree weather. Unlike the lead acid battery I bought for it because I thought it was dying. It wasn't, it's just a beast to turn over especially when cold.

Worked so well I am going to start getting the parts to make another for this Valk. Hope it lasts as long as the last one.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Does anyone know if the batteries ship with the bike from the factory (2014), or does the dealer supply that when they get around to unpacking it and doing other dealer prep? I hope it is the latter. My 2014 was originally purchased in 2017, so depending on the answer, it might be more likely to go out very soon, versus a year from now, assuming my battery has the same lifespan as Firefighter's (which is obviously not a terribly accurate assessment, but at least it's an indicator for the same kind of battery) I know there were a lot of bikes at dealers still in the shipping crates as late as last year. And since AGM batteries don't have to be activated, I guess it wouldn't be a great thing if they sit in the crate for 3 or 4 years...:confused:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Does anyone know if the batteries ship with the bike from the factory (2014), or does the dealer supply that when they get around to unpacking it and doing other dealer prep? I hope it is the latter. My 2014 was originally purchased in 2017, so depending on the answer, it might be more likely to go out very soon, versus a year from now, assuming my battery has the same lifespan as Firefighter's (which is obviously not a terribly accurate assessment, but at least it's an indicator for the same kind of battery) I know there were a lot of bikes at dealers still in the shipping crates as late as last year. And since AGM batteries don't have to be activated, I guess it wouldn't be a great thing if they sit in the crate for 3 or 4 years...:confused:

Yep, that's why I will be changing mine in the spring. A 5 year old battery is a 5 year old battery no matter how much it is not used.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My batery is still good, hope. I bought it dec 2015. Put a few miles on and put it away for winter. Pulked the battery an it read 12.3 volts. Kept it on charge part time over the winter but it did not improve much. 2016 spring stated riding and when i could not i charged it. Over the course of 2016 it recovered and still working well. I check and clean terminals at least twice a season and occasionally check it with volt meter. Never had a battery fail under 5 years with regular maintenance.
Warranty expired dec 2018 so if i have to buy one in 2020 ok.
A friend with Harley knew his battery was going but had a scheduled iron butt run, 1,000 miles in 24 hrs or less. Deciding to leave on Sunday and said bike was fine as long as his speed was high.
Bad result. Fried his stator $.
So a weak battery might not just leave you stranded but taxes other parts of electrical system.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just to add to the database, I went out to my garage a few minutes ago to see if the (2014, 7,000 miles) Valk would start. I have not ridden it since the cold weather, almost two months now, and it's been sitting in an unheated, un-insulated garage in south-central Illinois sans battery tender. We've had some very cold nights and days lately and I really didn't expect it to turn over. Surprise! Instant Vrooom! Just hearing it again as I let it warm up was very cathartic. Gimme springtime!

Forgot to mention that this is the original battery, Huasa.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts