Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
927 Posts
I ride from first only. Yes, this bike has the torque for a 2nd gear start, but I prefer a gentle take off. If I'm in the mood, I know how to run the gears fast. I can verify a sub 2 second 0-60 time on my ride, though factory says 3.2 seconds.
Wait - what? A sub 2 second 0-60 time? I'd LOVE to see that verified. Please share. That means this bike would outrun any cruiser on the market and just about any sport bike. And it would outrun even a Hayabusa. I see no bikes on the linked list below that are sub 2 seconds, so this makes me question how that is possible. Or, when you say "my ride" are we talking about your Valk or some other bike?

Richmonder

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did said verify. I was my mistaken in using that word. I cannot "verify" that time, though I would love to be able to.

"My ride" is my 2014 Honda Valkyrie. I have no access to prove my bike on a specifically measured system. I know that my bike, on two different high rev launches on the same day, by the (uncalibrated) speedometer on my bike made a 0-60 mph time under 2 seconds (+/- fractions) for me to call it as I did.
If you want a lab verified time to speed, sorry, I cannot give you that.

The specs I saw, apparently from Honda, indicate a 3.2sec 0-60 mph time. No idea if that is lab tested or marketing spiel.
Other specs, also apparently from Honda, had no times at all.

Looking at that wiki, the Valkyrie isn't listed anywhere. Does that mean it cannot do 1/4 mile under 12 secs? Did it just not get included because Honda didn't test it that way or didn't submit the info to the wiki? I have no idea. Perhaps not all bikes are included on that list?

·
Super Moderator
927 Posts
I did said verify. I was my mistaken in using that word. I cannot "verify" that time, though I would love to be able to.

"My ride" is my 2014 Honda Valkyrie. I have no access to prove my bike on a specifically measured system. I know that my bike, on two different high rev launches on the same day, by the (uncalibrated) speedometer on my bike made a 0-60 mph time under 2 seconds (+/- fractions) for me to call it as I did.
If you want a lab verified time to speed, sorry, I cannot give you that.

The specs I saw, apparently from Honda, indicate a 3.2sec 0-60 mph time. No idea if that is lab tested or marketing spiel.
Other specs, also apparently from Honda, had no times at all.

Looking at that wiki, the Valkyrie isn't listed anywhere. Does that mean it cannot do 1/4 mile under 12 secs? Did it just not get included because Honda didn't test it that way or didn't submit the info to the wiki? I have no idea. Perhaps not all bikes are included on that list?
So you're saying then that you have run the fastest 0-60 time ever achieved for a production motorcycle, since according to this article, the Suzuki GSX-R1000 is the fastest at 2.35 seconds. By every other account I have read, the Yamaha V-Max and Ducati Diavel will smoke the Valkyrie, as will the Triumph Rocket 3. The Valk 0-60 time is almost always shown as being 3.4 seconds.

The Valkyrie is fast, but it's not that fast. Call me skeptical. It's just not geared or tuned for that kind of performance. The Kawasaki H2R Ninja is considerd the fastest production bike right now and even it is at 2.5 seconds.

Richmonder

Reactions: Farther

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did say it was not lab verified. I am using what is available to me from the bike.
Is it lab accurate? Probably not.
Is it the best measurement information I have? Yes.
Is it a verified 60 mph on the speedometer? Not verified. The speed may be off.
Is it to the 1/100 second accurate? No, I have to hold on, hard to check the watch.
Is it damn close to a 2 second 0-60 time? Yes.

I understand your skepticism and agree that it is valid. I'm not trying to convince you or change your mind here. I stand by my experience and my statements in this matter. I still believe my times are very close. However, I cannot guaranty my number accuracy because I have not lab verified or track tested the acceleration numbers or any device that I used to generate them.

The second link posted above indicates 3.4 seconds for the 2014 Valkyrie. Even if you discount my unverifiable experience, you have to admit 3.4 seconds is a quick launch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You have to say "Mississippi" between numbers ;) then it will be between 3 and 4 seconds :). You may use a GPS app on your phone such as GPS Race Timer to have a better idea.
I wasn't even breathing between those shifts. I was slap shifting just as fast as I could through the gears.
Doing that probably wasn't good for the bike, that's why I don't intend on trying 0-60 again.
Thanks for the GPS race timer idea, though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Henry's final drive is expensive, but solves all this. First is now powerful and pulls HARD, but no longer feels like it is running out before you can get your foot up on the peg from a stop. I can hit the 1-2 shift so hard it gives me a little front lift whenever I am into it hard now, and second is high enough to legitimately drive around in town at the 25-35 mph range without feeling like you are winding second or lugging 3rd or shifting constantly, but having tons of power on tap if you need to goose it out of someone's way.

Plus it calms way down when cruising at 90+mph in 5th, which is why I got it, but the other bonuses are VERY nice.

It is the gearing this bike should have left the factory with. Now I just need a 1/4 turn throttle.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like the sound of what you’ve done Joel - what are your thoughts on why Honda set the Valkyrie up the way they did?
Well first I think a lot of stuff wasnt really setup for the Valkyrie, but just copied from the normal Goldwing and lightly modified if needed. For instance, as far as I can tell they took the front suspension, stretched it about 3", removed the antidive valve, then slapped it on the Valkyrie. What cracks me up about that is they still left the asymmetric internals that were there to support the antidive valve, even though they removed the ADV itself.

For the Goldwing I think the low gearing is probably a safety measure. They knew people would load the living crap out of Goldwings, carry passengers, and a trailer, then try to tow all that up steep hills, occasionally popping the clutch, use them as towtrucks, etc, and just generally abuse them. Lower final gearing takes the strain off everything up stream, so when they are badly overloaded and chugging up a mountain road there is less stress on the driveline, the transmission, the engine, the mounts, etc.

Plus these bikes have a redline of 6k RPMs and it seems like a fuel cut at about 7k RPMs. Knowing what I do about Hondas, I highly doubt is a mechanical limit (with the possible exception of the valve springs), I think it is much more likely a powerband limit, which means I bet you could run one of these things around 6-7k for a LONG time without damaging it, you would just burn a lot of gas, and need to change oil more often.

So yea I think it was just a CYA thing, deeper final gears means upstream drivetrain components are less likely to break even when abused, and if you you had a viable road and enough gas you could probably run a GL1800 at the 6k redline for days at a time without much worry, which is what? Like 120+ MPH with the factory gearing in 5th?

Considering most normal freeways in Japan appear to be 62MPH and the very fastest sections are 75MPH, they probably thought deeper gears to mitigate drive train abuse was more important than a higher top speed or lower cruising RPM.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts