Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
927 Posts
I'm kind of with Geepers. It's so ingrained in me to use 1st gear, I can't break the habit. Nor do I want to, in case I ride another bike that isn't so powerful on the low end.

Richmonder

·
Registered
159 Posts
1st gear is quite short, but I use it when coming to a full stop, just get her rolling and short shift out asap (love lugging the engine, but try to take care of the clutch)
I have to admit, I've had a dct honda before, and absolutely loved it (vfr1200xda) the Valk soooooo could use that dct tranny.

Tazmool

·
Registered
898 Posts
Not so much.

When making a turn from a stop I feel like I have to change into 2nd before straightening up from the turn.
Ah,yes, know what you mean. It can be annoying! In that situation I change into second literally as soon as my left foot comes off the ground…. ie I lift the foot straight into the gear lever having only travelled a metre or two. It’s not ideal but I still prefer to do that than lug the motor/slip the clutch with a second gear start (yeah, I know it’s a wet clutch but i just can’t bring myself to do it). I‘ve come to view first gear in this machine as just a way to get the behemoth moving. I rarely stretch it out now - the novelty of that has (finally) worn off a bit 😏. My preference even for straight line, quick getaways is to still get into second immediately and then stretch THAT gear out if necessary. I do hear you though - the gearing at this end of the transmission is frustrating at times. It will be interesting to hear what riding patterns others have settled into with this bike after several years ownership.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good catch Geepers, I'm kidding when I say I love lugging the engine ;) (not in the true sense of the term) I'm not actually lugging it :cool: (ie wot at ultra low rpm)
What I do love about this engine is how well it does at low rpm, I've actually had it down to virtually idle (~500rpm) in 5th gear and it pulls away nicely, but smooth appropriate throttle application is needed.

Tazmool

·
Registered
424 Posts
Search to see the previous discussion of this topic. Key points: 1) Honda refers to 1st gear as a 'walking gear' , i.e., maneuvering into the garage 2) from a dead stop and in 2nd gear, you can let the clutch out fairly quickly with no throttle 3) starting in 2nd gives you one less thing to do when starting thru a busy intersection. Easier for me to get used to, as years ago I had a (Kawasaki KH500?) where the gear pattern was all up

Reactions: KUGO

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just did a quick search of this site for "2nd gear" and was entertained by the previous discussions going back to 2018. First gear on a Gold Wing is handy when starting uphill AND riding 2 up with a week's worth of stuff AND WHILE pulling a trailer, or when you need to pull a tree stump and a tractor isn't available! 🤣

·
Registered
357 Posts
I mostly agree with Buster's philosophy, above. I'm 60/40, first gear take-off vs. second gear. Am I stopped on an incline/decline? Do I carry a passenger or other extra weight, or am I solo? Raining or dry pavement? No, I don't always do one or the other. It's based on circumstances.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just did a quick search of this site for "2nd gear" and was entertained by the previous discussions going back to 2018. First gear on a Gold Wing is handy when starting uphill AND riding 2 up with a week's worth of stuff AND WHILE pulling a trailer, or when you need to pull a tree stump and a tractor isn't available! 🤣
☝ That... haven't used the first gear in years. Our bikes are 4-gear bikes :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts