Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Valkyrie
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2015 Valkyrie booklet says motor oil 10W30 and that's what I am using Motul 5100 10W30
in one you tube video someone suggests 10W40 and when I said it must be 10W30 he answered
"In my book says 10W40"
I actually don't know who he is and what book he is talking about
I have Motul7100 10W40
can I use that?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm a big believer in doing whatever the manual says, as opposed to what someone on the internet says. His manual may well say 10W40, but he also may have misread it or may live in a warmer region which warrants higher viscosity. Ask him to send you a pic of his manual where it says that. But I can't believe Honda would create two different manuals like this for a bike with such limited production. My manual also specifies 10W-30.

If you're in a fairly hot environment, using 10W-40 should be OK. Here's some online info regarding the difference and appropriateness of using one or the other:

Richmonder

Reactions: RRoy and Ruben.Fred

·
Registered
2015 Valkyrie
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a big believer in doing whatever the manual says, as opposed to what someone on the internet says. His manual may well say 10W40, but he also may have misread it or may live in a warmer region which warrants higher viscosity. Ask him to send you a pic of his manual where it says that. But I can't believe Honda would create two different manuals like this for a bike with such limited production. My manual also specifies 10W-30.

If you're in a fairly hot environment, using 10W-40 should be OK. Here's some online info regarding the difference and appropriateness of using one or the other:

Richmonder
Thank you Richmonder

·
Registered
107 Posts

Richmonder

Good info. I have two older Camry's and one uses 5w30 and the newer of the two uses 0w20. I was running 5w30 in both and just happened to see on the oil cap the newer model had 0w20. On next oil change I went to 0w20 and fuel mileage went up several miles per gallon, so it can have an impact on performance. @Ruben.Fred My 2014 Valk manual also says 10w30 and I just switched to full synthetic which made shifting a lot smoother to the feel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I own a 2015 Valkyrie booklet says motor oil 10W30 and that's what I am using Motul 5100 10W30
in one you tube video someone suggests 10W40 and when I said it must be 10W30 he answered
"In my book says 10W40"
I actually don't know who he is and what book he is talking about
I have Motul7100 10W40
can I use that?
As I'm sure many of you know, multi vis motor oils have only been around since the 1950s. Multi vis oil may used all year around, because it functions like a lighter weight in cold weather and a heavier weight oil in hotter summer temperatures. Before that, conscientious motorists who lived where there are significant temperature differences between summer and winter changed their motor oil for the summer months to maybe a 30 or 40 weight oil, and then changed it again for the winter months to 10 weight. I now live in Maryland, where the summers are longer and quite a bit hotter than they were in New England where I used to live. I mean, we had a stretch of weather this past summer where it was absolutely boiling out there - up in the nineties every day for weeks on end. Considering that I don't ride when the temperature is below like 55 degrees, and that the difference between 10W-30 and 10W-40 is only viscosity during high temperature, I am going to change to 10W-40 next time I change my oil.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Font Line Rectangle Circle Drink
The most important lesson I've learned about oil in motorcycles, is that with a wet clutch (like on Valk1800), it is critical to not have 'friction modifiers' that will cause pre-mature clutch wear. Be especially careful about this with Synthetic or 'Extended Mileage" oils. To quickly confirm, the bottom half of the "SAE Donut" on the oil bottle should be blank (see image)! I use a Mobile 1 Premium Conventional 10W 30. LOTS of recommendations for Rotella T6 on various Valk sites, but I've never seen it in the specified viscosity in the stores when I'm looking...but as many people who have recommended it, I thought it deserves mention.

Reactions: Farther

·
Registered
343 Posts
I used Rotella T6 (5W40 I think) in my 1500 Valkyrie and will use it again in my 1800 Valkyrie when I eventually get to a place where I can do my own fluids again. The bottom half of the SAE donut was blank on whatever T6 viscosity I was using at the time. It seemed to quiet down the transmission whine a small amount. I purchased it at Walmart in four-quart jugs.

·
Registered
530 Posts
As I'm sure many of you know, multi vis motor oils have only been around since the 1950s. Multi vis oil may used all year around, because it functions like a lighter weight in cold weather and a heavier weight oil in hotter summer temperatures. Before that, conscientious motorists who lived where there are significant temperature differences between summer and winter changed their motor oil for the summer months to maybe a 30 or 40 weight oil, and then changed it again for the winter months to 10 weight. I now live in Maryland, where the summers are longer and quite a bit hotter than they were in New England where I used to live. I mean, we had a stretch of weather this past summer where it was absolutely boiling out there - up in the nineties every day for weeks on end. Considering that I don't ride when the temperature is below like 55 degrees, and that the difference between 10W-30 and 10W-40 is only viscosity during high temperature, I am going to change to 10W-40 next time I change my oil.
Thoughts?
It can be very personal and highly debated. I use full Synthetic 10W-40 motorcycle specific oil, non-energy conserving, no friction modifiers. When these bikes are made/sold, they don't know if it will reside in Minesota or Florida. The recommended oil will cover the full temperature range best. I am not making any oil recommendations. I live in Florida heat within the upper temperature range. Maybe this temperature chart can help. Some good info. Provided in this thread.

Busters post is of utmost importance

Richmonders post is the best explanation regarding 10W-30 vs 10W-40 oils.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Office ruler Gas

·
Registered
67 Posts
View attachment 12919 The most important lesson I've learned about oil in motorcycles, is that with a wet clutch (like on Valk1800), it is critical to not have 'friction modifiers' that will cause pre-mature clutch wear. Be especially careful about this with Synthetic or 'Extended Mileage" oils. To quickly confirm, the bottom half of the "SAE Donut" on the oil bottle should be blank (see image)! I use a Mobile 1 Premium Conventional 10W 30. LOTS of recommendations for Rotella T6 on various Valk sites, but I've never seen it in the specified viscosity in the stores when I'm looking...but as many people who have recommended it, I thought it deserves mention.
Your words of wisdom are good advice for all Honda owners who work on their own machines - to use ONLY motorcycle-specific oil designed for wet clutch motorcycles. "Limited slip," "energy-conserving," "extended mileage" and so on are not what a Honda GoldWing needs to run on.
I've been a fan of Spectro Oil for many years - manufactured in Connecticut - a real Powersports/motorcycle outfit - sponsor for motorcycle racing teams. Thus far, my Valkyrie has had only Honda GN4, changed at the dealership. Honda's semi-synthetic oil is the HP4. I'll be using Spectro Golden4 Motorcycle Semi-Synthetic Engine Lubricant SAE 10W40. Honda's name-brand oils are made by Motul in Europe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts