Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I completed a little simple maintenance this morning. Adjusted my throttle free-play which has been bothering me, brought it down to barely 1/16" I like it tighter than looser.
Automotive tire Automotive design Plant Motor vehicle Gas

Changed the oil and filter prematurely as usual. I enjoy spending money and time on quality consumables for my bike. Also changed out the rear drive oil. My belief is the fluids are the life blood of my motorcycle. Peace of mind for me, money well spent, I can waste money elsewhere but not on maintenance. I have tried every type of motorcycle oil wrench available, this was recommended by Farther and is by far the best/easiest especially on the Goldwing or Goldwing Valkyrie. Thanks Farther
Automotive tire Bumper Wood Office ruler Gas

I have needed to set my clock since the time change, so did that as well and while I was at it also reprogrammed the start display. I enjoy this neat little feature.

Automotive lighting Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive design

·
Registered
669 Posts
"FLAT-SIX". Love it!

I was out riding the other day and noticed my clock wasn't current with the time change. I actually had to go back and look at the thread I posted on how to change the clock!

Your bike thanks you for the fluid changes!

Richmonder

Reactions: Sixshooter

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"FLAT-SIX". Love it!

I was out riding the other day and noticed my clock wasn't current with the time change. I actually had to go back and look at the thread I posted on how to change the clock!

Your bike thanks you for the fluid changes!

Richmonder
Hahaha, I hope so. Actually, I'm hoping it rewards me with many trouble-free miles. I've got several rides planned in the near future closing out this year.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Farther, one other observation regarding the great oil filter wrench recommendation. The small end works for the rear end drain & fill plugs as well as the oil drain plug. Win, win, win (y)

I use a syringe and synthetic tubing to fill the rear differential. Works like a charm even with the bags and pipe installed. Easy peasy.
Tableware Table Drinkware Furniture Blue

·
Registered
69 Posts
It is that time of year....
Maintenance and Mods ...

Here is the oil filter wrech I've used for.... Decades....
It has never failed me on any motorcycle I've used it on, even used it on several cars and pickups...
It even fit a hard to reach oil filter on a Harley (HD has a speciality wrench to reach it and not hit the cam sensor, but this worked like a charm)

Tool Gas Auto part Bicycle part Metal
Auto part Fashion accessory Gas Carmine Plastic

One of the mods that is almost done (just have to aim the lights in the spring)

Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Fog lights!

The "heavy" maintenance in progress:

Tire White Fuel tank Wheel Automotive tire

Fork oil change.
I always do it on my bikes, and 95% of the time it makes a significant improvement in the handling department.
I've noticed my Valk being a tad "wallowy" in high speed sweepers, nothing unsual, and could just be chucked up to it being a big heavy cruiser on standard suspension (and its not a sport bike)
But I'm betting that the fork oil change has never been done (its due every 2 years, and especially the first one should be done, where all the break-in crud is floating around in there)

Another mod is the removal the chrome tank and instrument covers, then painting them black. The chrome parts look great, but at the right time of the day, sunlight reflects directly into my eyes, and to top things off, at special angles, the light reflects right into my eyes, and into the windshield, and right back into my eyes, so I get two bright reflections... lol.... well hopefully no more.

The chrome piece on top of the headlight I'm not painting, but I tried removing it, and I just cant get the thing off.. I've read the threads on here on how its done, I broke one plastic wedge shaped removal tool.... the darn thing just won't come off... I've stopped for now, I really don't want to break anything. Thankfully the headlight assembly can be removed with out pulling that chrome part.

Tazmool

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're into it deep. The Fog lights look great, you're really going to like them. I leave them on all the time. I believe they provide added visibility even day riding to get you noticed hopefully eliminating cars pulling out in front of you. The bike just looks so cool with all that brilliant white LED light coming down the road.

What is the interval for the fork oil change? Is that determined by miles or time? That's one thing I have not done and not looking forward to. I bet most have never done it. I also need to aim my lights, thanks for the reminder.

Let us know when you get around to installing the plastic if you have any tips/advice. Do you follow any step-by-step removal procedures for the plastic? Looking good (y)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was thinking that the fog lights will stay on all the time too, I do like the looks of them, increases visibility and the fog lights/driving lights seem to put out a very nice horizontal beam pattern. I did mod the wiring harness on the fog lights themselves so that the daytime running lights and fog lights are on the same time, and the bike side install is super easy (the lights are plug and play at that point, no turn signals wired up [don't want them down there] and no aux power needed for the day time running lights)

I've had the plastic on/off before, its not too bad, I just followed the shop manual, lots of fasteners, but its not bad.
I did find a few (3) broken plastic push tabs, got a spare set on order.

Ran into a problem with the forks however :(....... I'll start a seperate thread for it...
Long story short, CHECK YOURS, and do the fork oil change (interval is every 2 years) ...

Tazmool

1 - 7 of 7 Posts