Honda Valkyrie F6C Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I have the final version of the Madstad shield on my bike and I have pics. I need to figure out how to post them. Hopefully, I'll get pics up tomorrow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey guys - I have the final version of the Madstad shield on my bike and I have pics. I need to figure out how to post them. Hopefully, I'll get pics up tomorrow.
I have about 10 pics to post, but I keep getting timed out by the forum before I'm done with all the descriptions, etc. So, now I'm just going try top attach my first pic and see how that goes. This one is the front view of my shield, darkest tint available. If this works I'll add more pics and info tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are four more pics of the Madstad shield. It is adjustable for height and angle. In the third pic you can see where I landed with my adjustments. I have the shield at its lowest setting and at an angle of about 34 degrees back from vertical to the ground. The fourth pic shows how nicely the brackets are made. Note that I have the knobs on the outside instead of the inside where they belong.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what the price is and the Valkyrie shield might not be on their site yet. But, they are available and you can contact them thru their site madstad.com. Also note that I am 5'9" and my eyes are 5-6" above the top of the shield if I sit up straight. I have a few hundred miles on it and only one tiny bug to the forehead. Their design really works.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That's a nice looking shield but I'd need the taller(if avail) one since I'm 5'11.

The bugs and buffeting always drive me crazy but a very small price to pay for the love of riding. Wish there was a self-cleaning shield. :|

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice. The brackets do a better job concealing the Frankenstein stuff going on with the instrument cluster than even the dark tint on the windshield. :)
So the brackets are attached to the forks only by a pair of 6mm screws? Is that adequate?

·
Registered
72 Posts
It looks great!

How much handlebar real estate do these use? My Honda tall shield takes up too much accessory-mounting space.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Madstad Windshield

That's a nice looking shield but I'd need the taller(if avail) one since I'm 5'11.

The bugs and buffeting always drive me crazy but a very small price to pay for the love of riding. Wish there was a self-cleaning shield. :|
Mine could still be raised by about an inch and a half. You could also angle it to only 30 degrees. I think they actually recommend 30, but I was trying to make it look as rakish as possible and it still worked for me. Best to get their advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually have mine at the lowest setting. The buffeting gets minimized by the combination of air flowing both under and over the shield. I might do better with it higher because of this. I had my other Madstads a bit higher and at 30 degrees. Again, best to get their advice. I think they explain how the design minimizes buffeting on the website. I'm getting almost no buffeting at 65-70 mph unless I have a strong crosswind and I don't think you can do anything about that anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One more thing. I said that my eyes were 5-6" above the shield when I'm sitting straight up. I said that as a height reference, but I'm rarely sitting straight up, always slouching, so 3" over the shield is more the realistic position for me. We are having lovebug season here in FL and every time I get home I have 100+ splatters to clean off the shield. I don't wear a helmut, just sunglasses and I haven't had a bug hit my glasses yet. But I think I'm probably confusing the situation here as opposed to helping. A phone call to those guys will answer your questions better than me. I'm just a big fan of the design and the adjustability - I can get it exactly where I want it for best functionality.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My last post (for tonight). Attached is a picture of my wife holding a tape measure "straight" ha, ha up from the ignition key well. This is probably how they will tell you to estimate your fit. Get the bike up straight and have someone hold a tape like this. Sit on the bike comfortably and look at where you want your eyes to be relative to the top of the shield. If you zoom in you'll see I'm between 14-15" but the bike is on its kickstand and not vertical. But I think this method will give you a good idea. One area of confusion is that they call mine the 18" shield as they measure from the extreme top and bottom on the flat acrylic. If you measure mine from the center bottom above the headlight to the center top, it comes in at about 15." And there need to be a good airflow (space) under the shield to minimize the buffeting.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Madstad Windshield

It looks great!

How much handlebar real estate do these use? My Honda tall shield takes up too much accessory-mounting space.
Zero handlebar involvement. The brackets are mounted completely to the forks. It does, of course, limit the depth you have available between the handlebars and the brackets/shield. But, nothing is attached to the handlebars.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That looks like a nice windshield option 👌 I'm working on a custom windshield at the moment but if it doesn't turn out the way I want, I'll definitely look into getting this shield 👍 Thanks for the pics!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts